PDA

View Full Version : Taekwondo legitimacy...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

grandultimate1
4/10/2008 11:52pm,
So I know it's been done to death but I was wondering.
I've been on youtube and I've seen some pretty interesting Taekwondo style kicks for knockouts. I've been doing Tai chi too, that I can establish a good base. I just got done watching Cung Le destroy Frank Shamrock and wonder if this would be enough to establish TKD as a legitimate art to take in MMA?

Squerlli
4/10/2008 11:53pm,
Aderson Silva.
Bas Rutten.

grandultimate1
4/11/2008 12:02am,
I do not understand.

hoodedmonk
4/11/2008 12:13am,
I do not understand.El anderson
El Guapo

Steve
4/11/2008 12:22am,
I do not understand.

They both did Tae Kwon Do.

grandultimate1
4/11/2008 12:30am,
Yes, and if I posted that they did TKD I believe the next thing I would hear is something about them doing MT. I do TKD, I want to get into MMA. My plan? Stay off the ground. I figure I do a mma already might as well make it official.

RABA
4/11/2008 12:31am,
So I know it's been done to death but I was wondering.
I've been on youtube and I've seen some pretty interesting Taekwondo style kicks for knockouts. I've been doing Tai chi too, that I can establish a good base. I just got done watching Cung Le destroy Frank Shamrock and wonder if this would be enough to establish TKD as a legitimate art to take in MMA?

MMA means Mixed Martial Art. Tkd is more self-defense, fitness, and an olympic sport. More importantly, it's teaching/training methods aren't based on sport conditioning.

Cung Le was successful because of his hardwork.

hoodedmonk
4/11/2008 12:33am,
Yes, and if I posted that they did TKD I believe the next thing I would hear is something about them doing MT. I do TKD, I want to get into MMA. My plan? Stay off the ground. I figure I do a mma already might as well make it official.Stay off the ground huh? you might want to put a little more thought into you're game plan.

grandultimate1
4/11/2008 12:34am,
MMA means Mixed Martial Art. Tkd is more self-defense, fitness, and an olympic sport. More importantly, it's teaching/training methods aren't based on sport conditioning.

Cung Le was successful because of his hardwork.
So you are saying that I won't be able to do it because I will not work as hard? That does not make sense.

*edit: let me rephrase that. I work out with guys, they can not touch me. I do pretty well. I think I could bring my style into the cage pretty well. After seeing Cung Le perform I think it is definitely possible.

You are saying that Bas Rutten and Sylvia have done it. I have seen Sylvia fight and he moves like me. So I am assuming you are saying go for it. Thank you very much.

hoodedmonk
4/11/2008 12:36am,
Oh boy here we go!

tharuz
4/11/2008 12:41am,
This kid probably just got his black belt in TKD and came in his pants.

I doubt he has any muscle, or even realises how his little TKD bullshit doesn't ever come close to wrestling conditioning.

hpr
4/11/2008 12:41am,
Cung Le can keep the fight off ground because he's got wrestling skills.

How about you? You know how to sprawl? Fine. Are you the god of sprawling? No? What about clinching? No? Then get some ground game, wrestling or otherwise. Your attitude is straight out of the early 90's.

RABA
4/11/2008 12:42am,
So you are saying that I won't be able to do it because I will not work as hard? That does not make sense.

*edit: let me rephrase that. I work out with guys, they can not touch me. I do pretty well. I think I could bring my style into the cage pretty well. After seeing Cung Le perform I think it is definitely possible.

You are saying that Bas Rutten and Sylvia have done it. I have seen Sylvia fight and he moves like me. So I am assuming you are saying go for it. Thank you very much.

I have to remember this is the comedy forum.

DSL
4/11/2008 12:45am,
Find an MMA gym, and go train for about 6-12 months before thinking about your first fight.
Learn wrestling, at the very least takedown defense, sprawl (boxing jab works too), learn BJJ at least the fundamentals, learn boxing. THEN take your TKD into the ring.

Cung's San Shou Record: 17-0, 12 KO. His MMA record is 6-0-0 I believe. My point is, he didn't walk in off the street even with his amazing SS record and skills... he went and trained Jits and Wrestling.

grandultimate1
4/11/2008 12:47am,
What's your Plan B?

To get up off the ground.

This kid probably just got his black belt in TKD and came in his pants.

I doubt he has any muscle, or even realises how his little TKD bullshit doesn't ever come close to wrestling conditioning.

TKD bullshit conditioning? I do not think for 1 second that TKD comes near wrestling but I doubt you have ever taken a good TKD class if you think their conditioning is bullshit.

No I plan on doing much plyometrics, and resitance training. I am currently 185lbs 5' 10" with a 275 bench press and a 400lbs squat. I plan on dropping my weight lifting to more of a repitition based work out.

As for my sprawl, my tai chi takes care of that.

Steve
4/11/2008 12:50am,
Yes, and if I posted that they did TKD I believe the next thing I would hear is something about them doing MT. I do TKD, I want to get into MMA. My plan? Stay off the ground. I figure I do a mma already might as well make it official.

No, you do TKD and Tai Chi. Two stand up arts that don't include any ground game (a requirement for someone to say they do MMA).

Please change your style field to reflect that.