PDA

View Full Version : Now I've gone and done it....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phoenix
4/10/2008 9:52pm,
Well, I finally decided to give in to my patriotic side and enlisted in the Canadian Forces.

I'll be doing basic and soldier qualification courses back to back this summer, and with any luck, I'll be in Afghanistan with the next deployment in 2009.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Wounded Ronin
4/10/2008 10:40pm,
Let me know if the Diemarco C7 is the pwn like Sir Tech claimed it was back when they were still in business.

AeroChica
4/10/2008 10:51pm,
Woo Hoo! Giv'em hell.

Are you going infantry or what? I used to have some friends in the PPCLI but that was ages ago.

Phoenix
4/10/2008 11:31pm,
Woo Hoo! Giv'em hell.

Are you going infantry or what? I used to have some friends in the PPCLI but that was ages ago.

I am going infantry.

Guy I work with, who just joined the sheriffs dept., is a warrant officer (or sergeant major, if you prefer). He was with 3BN PPCLI as a sniper, but he recently retired from the reg. force and is still active in the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, an infantry reserve unit here at the Garrison.

He told me that if I want to go to Afghanistan, which I do, he said the quickest way to get a tour would be by joining that unit.

Initially, I was considering combat engineers, though.

Alchemyguy
4/11/2008 9:34am,
You're in Edmonton? One of my friends (Sgt in the 749 communications reserve) is headed to Edmonton for his pre-deployment training for a January (February?) 09 deployment. I should have joined the army when I was young and foolish.

His wife was a medic in the reserves, and her mother and father were both PPCLI. I think her step-dad was navy or something. Lots o' army in that family.

Abusivemelon
4/11/2008 9:52am,
Well, I finally decided to give in to my patriotic side and enlisted in the Canadian Forces.

I'll be doing basic and soldier qualification courses back to back this summer, and with any luck, I'll be in Afghanistan with the next deployment in 2009.

I'll keep y'all posted.

He told me that if I want to go to Afghanistan, which I do, he said the quickest way to get a tour would be by joining that unit.

Initially, I was considering combat engineers, though.

Could you explain the reasons behind wanting to go to afghanistan?

money
4/11/2008 11:59am,

If it's for the women, you might want to reconsider.

Phoenix
4/11/2008 1:52pm,

Yeah, sure.....

Firstly, I got alot of buddies over there now that have gotten alot of good training and experience, both while there and during pre deployment training.

Secondly, I believe in that mission and what my country's forces are doing over there. Because of the work that the NATO forces are doing over there (primarily the work done by Canadian, British, US, and Dutch forces), Afghanistan is actually starting to see some stability. I'd like to do my part to contribute to that.

I dunno.....I think that we in the US and Canada are a very spoiled bunch of people. We have alot of freedoms and rights that others do not. Worse yet, I think that many people here take these things for granted.

Many of you on the boards know I work in law enforcement. I've been doing it the past 3 years. I guess I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of dealing with the same bullshit over here, again and again, mostly with 'clients' who are in the trouble they're in because of the stupid choices they've made. I'd like to do something different and something that is, in my mind, more honourable.

Anyway....those are my reasons. You asked, so there's my answer.

Just one thing, though.....IF, by chance, you, or anyone reading this, are one of those 'anti-war' activists or conspiracy theorists, please don't bother trying to argue any of those points to me. I fully believe you're entitled to your opinions, and yes, I'm fully willing to fight for and defend your right to have those opinions. But I also have the right to disagree, and rest assured that I do disagree.

Abusivemelon
4/11/2008 2:32pm,
Thanks for the response dude. I wasn't planning on berating you for serving evil or anything similar. I was more curious about the desire to put yourself in harms way than the moral perspective.

It is Fake
4/11/2008 2:36pm,
Yeah, sure.....

Firstly, I got alot of buddies over there now that have gotten alot of good training and experience, both while there and during pre deployment training.

Secondly, I believe in that mission and what my country's forces are doing over there. Because of the work that the NATO forces are doing over there (primarily the work done by Canadian, British, US, and Dutch forces), Afghanistan is actually starting to see some stability. I'd like to do my part to contribute to that.

I dunno.....I think that we in the US and Canada are a very spoiled bunch of people. We have alot of freedoms and rights that others do not. Worse yet, I think that many people here take these things for granted.

Many of you on the boards know I work in law enforcement. I've been doing it the past 3 years. I guess I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of dealing with the same bullshit over here, again and again, mostly with 'clients' who are in the trouble they're in because of the stupid choices they've made. I'd like to do something different and something that is, in my mind, more honourable.

Anyway....those are my reasons. You asked, so there's my answer.

Just one thing, though.....IF, by chance, you, or anyone reading this, are one of those 'anti-war' activists or conspiracy theorists, please don't bother trying to argue any of those points to me. I fully believe you're entitled to your opinions, and yes, I'm fully willing to fight for and defend your right to have those opinions. But I also have the right to disagree, and rest assured that I do disagree.Thanks for being honest I was also curious.

Roidie McDouchebag
4/11/2008 3:02pm,
You make me sick.

It is Fake
4/11/2008 3:05pm,
You make me sick.
As you've seen, no one really care about your opinion on these matters.

bushi_no_ki
4/11/2008 3:27pm,
Good going, Phoenix. As for the Combat Engineer thing, I don't blame you. I kinda wish I had gone Infantry myself sometimes. That's just because I'm stuck in a pogue unit though.

Phoenix
4/11/2008 6:08pm,
You make me sick.

I can't say it any better than this:

Phoenix
4/11/2008 6:10pm,
Thanks for the response dude. I wasn't planning on berating you for serving evil or anything similar. I was more curious about the desire to put yourself in harms way than the moral perspective.

I kinda figured that....but just to be sure, I just added that to be on the safe side.

You'd be surprised the amount of **** I've taken because of making this decision....and what I have heard has had very little to do with putting myself in harm's way.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your support and comments. Like I said, I'll keep everyone posted.

E-Van
4/11/2008 6:15pm,
Good luck man! Training should be top notch and I am sure you will return better off for the experience!