PDA

View Full Version : Greetins..

notcool
4/05/2008 3:48pm,
.. What can I say.. The name says it all.. Glad to be here.

TKDBot
4/05/2008 3:49pm,
So notcool, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

2003volusia
4/05/2008 4:12pm,
welcome from another NOOB!!! whats your style?

notcool
4/05/2008 6:09pm,
HanMinJok HKD - Black Belt

BJJ - Blue Belt

Muay Thai - N00B

I'm currently on hiatus and will be looking for a BJJ/MMA/MT club to get into soon.. For now, I'm just here for information and to post so I can help anyone that may be looking for the very limited insight that I may have.. or.. I may even burden others with my opinions, which may or may not be based on fact..

Thanks for askin..

2003volusia
4/05/2008 7:15pm,
Cool. I am starting BJJ in July at my TKD academy. I know, interesting mix! But I am not learning BJJ to compete, I just want to be able to defend myself if I do get knocked to the ground, and TKD is definitely not the art for that!

notcool
4/06/2008 12:40pm,
Just out of curiosity, Is your TKD school associated with the ATA or the WTF?

2003volusia
4/06/2008 1:56pm,
No, we are with the International Taekwondo Alliance. Some people knock the ITA because of their fast promotion time (which I do not like either) and some of the poor students that it has produced (which I believe that EVERY style produces poor students sometimes). One of the things I do like though is that they do not focus ENTIRELY on patterns or ENTIRELY on sparring. They also give a decent amount of time to self defense. I have also started on the instructor path and have found that the standards for this path or much more difficult and satisfying (at least at my school).

I just read the ATA right up in the Korean Forum, and I am glad I did not go with one of their schools! I am also not interested in Olympic Sparring so I am glad I did not go with the WTF. Though, I don't know to much more about the WTF so I am going to be looking into them a bit more to make sure I have my opinion correct!

The ITA is being certified to teach BJJ by the Gracie school in Jacksonville Florida. I am not a fan of a 3 day course to certify someone to teach something. However, I do think that it can give me a decent start with BJJ without having to pay 130 bucks a month (average BJJ price in my area). In addition, I am in the Navy and will actually be stationed in Jacksonville, FL in 3 years time, so I will be able to attend the school that actually certifies my instructor.

notcool
4/06/2008 3:02pm,
It really depends on your ideals.. And really, a school, regardless of the association, is only met by it's worth according to the skill and ideals of the Master Instructor. I will say, however, that the WTF vs. all the rest generally produces Olympic grade TKD fighters and those ideals are set in stone with most of the schools.

Not knockin the ITA or the ATA schools, but they are generally intertwined in my neck of the woods and alot of the Master Instructors around here tend to flip flop between the two because Traditional Martial Arts Politics goes hand in hand with complete Bull **** quite frequently.

I question the merits of Traditional Korean Martial Arts Institutions taking on BJJ. I've been hearing about that alot lately and I just don't get it, but there's usually never any logic involved when you've got dollar signs in your eyes.