PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns for the house

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Echo Unit
4/04/2008 1:40pm,
I've been thinking that I might get a shotgun. They seem like fun, and I like the idea of having heavier firepower on hand if, you know, WWIII breaks out or something.

I've heard lots of people advocate shotguns for home defense. They point out that it's easy to hit your target (when firing shot), packs a punch, and makes a real scary noise when chambering a round in the dark.

I mentioned this to a military friend of mine, who scoffed and told me to stick with my handgun. His points were that a handgun turns corners faster and packs plenty of 'punch'. He also reminded me that 00 buckshot, while devastating, is not ideal for use in a house with people you care about.

Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?

bitparity
4/04/2008 7:44pm,
Not military, but something you also want to keep in mind is bullet penetration. 00 buckshot will have less individual kinetic energy that will be more likely to be stopped by walls than a handgun bullet. The last thing you want is for your stray shots to go through the walls of your house hitting your family and neighbors when you weren't even aiming for them.

Also, though a handgun will turn corners, you'll still need to either be lucky with where you hit your target for immediate incapacitation, or pump several rounds into them first before they stop. A shotgun blast ANYWHERE on the body will be taking a big chunk of flesh out, that I guarantee will drop them in their tracks. And even if they were wearing body armor, a full shotgun blast to the chest will completely smash their ribcage.

rsobrien
4/04/2008 8:32pm,
If you are really concerned about penetration, don't shoot a gun in the house. Maybe you could try birdshot. But not penetrating walls alsom means not piercing enough flesh.

One cool thing to keep in mind about a shotgun, is buckshot for the close encounters, and slugs for when battling it out with your neighbors during civil insurrection.

Yrkoon9
4/04/2008 8:43pm,
I'm going to say a few things. None of which make any sense. So treat me as... a random internet poster whose advice should never taken in place of a professional...errr wait.

Your military friend suggests a handgun over a shotgun in a house? Ask him if he has ever cleared a building or room before. Might give you some indicator right there. Either answer he gives - ask him this - when clearing a room or house would you rather clear it with a handgun or a shotgun. (Because that is essentially what you are doing in home defense)

This is a no brainer.

In terms of over penetration...if you live in an apartment it won't matter which you use. Your neighbors are gonna be in trouble. Frangible rounds mitigate some of the danger but lets be real...it's fuckin sheetrock. If you live in a house I wouldn't worry so much.

mad_malk
4/04/2008 8:59pm,
I Will sum up what every instructor who had two brain cells has repeated over and over and over again. The hand gun is there to get you to a shot gun. the shot gun is there to a long gun. The long gun is there to get the **** out of there. or in internet words. Bare hands < Hand wielded weapon < Hand Gun < Shotgun < Long gun < Out of danger.

vigilus
4/04/2008 9:03pm,
Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?

Are US soldiers allowed using shotguns on people?

Yrkoon9
4/05/2008 12:42am,
Yeah. But we mostly use them for breaching.

Rock Ape
4/05/2008 1:04am,
..//..Military types with experience in CQB, FISH, CQC, or <insert equivalent acronym here> what are your thoughts on using a shotgun indoors?Good for removing doors at their hinges ;-)
Bad for self inflicted collateral damage
Good for low skill/high hit probability
Bad(ish) for mobility in confined space
Good for pwnage factor
Bad for self pwnage of own family (depends upon the construction of your home)
Good value for money
Bad for street cred
Good for not having to wait for a gun licence
Bad for not being able to conceal it on you

--Dave

Wounded Ronin
4/05/2008 1:45am,
Which would you recommend I load up if I heard a suspicious noise downstairs/outside and was concerned about defending my home? 00 shot or slugs?

pauli
4/05/2008 7:05am,
i've heard some fairly persuasive arguments in favor of #1 buck for sd. big enough to go through one person, not big enough to go through two. puts more net surface area (lead) in contact with the target than #00.

my shotgun's loaded with #2, but then, mine's a 20ga...

unless you're acutely concerned about home invasion bear-ery, slugs are pretty significant overkill.

Rock Ape
4/05/2008 8:56am,
Which would you recommend I load up if I heard a suspicious noise downstairs/outside and was concerned about defending my home? 00 shot or slugs?How much skill at arms do you do ?

How confident are you in general ?

Which would YOU rather use (that's actually the more important question when you have the choice)

--Dave

HonkyTonkMan
4/05/2008 9:01am,
Which would you recommend I load up if I heard a suspicious noise downstairs/outside and was concerned about defending my home? 00 shot or slugs?

3" #00.

These are magnum loaded shells. They will penetrate sheetrock and still do damage.
These loads can kill a Grizzly Bear. I have seen it done.
A slug can overpenetrate and lowers your hit percentage.

Make sure that your gun can shoot 3" shells though.

vigilus
4/05/2008 10:20am,
Yeah. But we mostly use them for breaching.

We're not alowed using them on people, only doors and **** like vehicle engines. I think they consider it inhumane.

3 inch 00buck is my favorite shotgun round.

TM
4/05/2008 11:37am,
I alternate 00 buckshot and rifled slugs. 3" magnums. Know your field of fire.

SpringHeeledJack
4/05/2008 11:50am,
If you're worried about penetrating walls, Mossberg has you covered:

The model 500 HS410, or "Home Security" model, is only available in .410, and is specifically designed for defensive use. It comes with a youth sized stock, a vertical foregrip with, in some versions, a built in laser sight, and a special muzzle brake and spreader choke on an 18.5 inch (47 cm) bead sight barrel. The .410, while by far the least powerful common shotgun chambering, still generates energy in excess of a .357 Magnum, and the spreader choke produces wider patterns, as well as less chance of wall penetration, in the short ranges to be expected in a defensive situation. This model is targeted at the novice user, who needs a simple, easy to use yet effective defensive weapon, and is packaged with an introductory video covering use and safety.

yeah, 410s are small, but they'll still blow faces off at close range.

Personally, I have a Mossberg 500 special purpose 8-shot pump loaded with #00 buck. If you're in the next room, too bad.

Jim_Jude
4/05/2008 12:16pm,
At home defense ranges, you don't need anything more than #4 buckshot. At such short ranges, the pattern will be so tight, it won't matter, you won't need a choke. Go down to Big 5 and get a Mossberg M590, load it up with #4 buck. Over-penetration is barely an issue when you compare it to 00 Buck.
In 2.75" 12 gauge shells, you've got eight .36-inch shot in "#000 buck", compared to 27 .24-inch balls in #4Buck. "Real-world Lethality" estimations for #4Buck shot is estimated from 80% to 90%, compared to the 88%-96% for your average #00 Buck.
Of course, keep in mind that if you're hitting center mass, you're hitting with nine #00 Buck rounds at .33 cal, or you could be hitting with TWENTY SEVEN .24" BALLS.
ALL THAT WITH LITTLE ISSUE OF OVER-PENETRATION WHEN COMPARED TO THE POPULAR "TACTICAL LOADS". The FBI has had great results over the years with 2.75" #4Buck (12gauge). The real world numbers don't lie.
Oh, & get a Knoxx Compstock.
(http://www.knoxx.com/products/CompStock.php)

Sometimes, less is more. Know your tools, but also know your environment.