PDA

View Full Version : Developing the Squeeze

Pages : [1] 2

Kintanon
4/01/2008 9:20am,
One of the things I've heard several people talk about recently, including Eddie Bravo, is how important having a tight squeeze is. So for the exercise gurus on here, what are some good ways to build squeezing power in both arms and legs? What are the preferred body weight exercises and weight assisted exercises for developing squeezing power?

Hook me up with some goodness!

SuperGuido
4/01/2008 4:54pm,
I decided to start working on my "Guard Power", as I personally feel like my legs are weak as hell. Also, I rolled with a lighter Blue who nearly crushed me with his guard strength.

You know what I did?

I told my partners, "Sorry, dude, but I really need to work on my guard strength. I'm not trying to be a tard."

Common sense dictates that the best way to develop guard strength is to work your guard strongly.

Otherwise, you could get a thigh master (yar har), work leg curls, or basically do ANY leg exercise.

mrblackmagic
4/02/2008 9:41am,
You can work your static strength by doing isometric exercises targeting your chest back and inner thighs.

I role up several pillows and RNC them for about a minute 3x. Then I role up a carpet and figure four it for the same amount of time. I generally try to squeeze tighter every six seconds.

Kintanon
4/02/2008 10:04am,
Looking around and about I've come across some people using a basketball for this same purpose. RNCing the basketball and doing leg curls by trapping the ball between their heel and butt and squeezing down. That seems fairly cheap and portable, so i think I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

tyciol
4/02/2008 5:22pm,
I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean like crushing someone betweenyour limbs or something? Would this be like doing a pec deck or a thigh adductor movement?

Kikuchiyo
4/03/2008 12:21am,
Yeah, you could just use any thigh adducting machine. If you wanna work your RNC squeeze you can just bend your knee and squeeze your leg, just like Eddie Bravo demonstrates when he talks about developing the squeeze.

KayRoc
4/03/2008 12:27am,
I role up several pillows and RNC them for about a minute 3x. Then I role up a carpet and figure four it for the same amount of time. I generally try to squeeze tighter every six seconds.

If someone walks in on you in the middle of that, is it awkward?

GIJoe6186
4/03/2008 2:16am,
Stop squeezing balls and step away from the pec deck.

You'll get much better gains through general strength workouts, deadlift and squat for a tight guard (the dead especially works your hamstrings). Pull-ups and pressing motions for squeezing.

Unless you already have a general strength program like the above, theres no need to just squeeze things.

Kintanon
4/03/2008 7:51am,
As much as I would love a real strength workout I have neither the time nor the facilities to do, well, anything.... I make do by pushing hay bails around and flipping tractor tires and hauling bags of feed.

mrblackmagic
4/03/2008 10:43am,
If someone walks in on you in the middle of that, is it awkward?

I guess.

Jadonblade
4/03/2008 10:52am,
Yeah I just Rnc my kneecap. Borrowed my womans thigh master for abit, made a good bit of difference. Giving your guard special attention when rolling will be the best way though.

Kintanon
4/03/2008 10:53am,
Yeah, I stole a friends thighmaster already, and I have no choice but to work my guard since I'm constantly getting tossed around. My bigger concern is squeezing with my arms. My bony legs actually dig into my arms when I RNC my knee and it hurts like a biatch... I'ma try the basketball instead.

Kikuchiyo
4/03/2008 3:52pm,
Stop squeezing balls and step away from the pec deck.

You'll get much better gains through general strength workouts, deadlift and squat for a tight guard (the dead especially works your hamstrings). Pull-ups and pressing motions for squeezing.

Unless you already have a general strength program like the above, theres no need to just squeeze things.

I think it's necessary to put the time in to work the squeeze on several different chokes because very few chokes are applied the same way. You can see that anytime you use different chokes in practice. The way you finish a RNC is very different from finishing a Guillotine or a Brabo/D'Arce choke.

GIJoe6186
4/03/2008 10:29pm,
I don't think so. Sure it helps to train the squeeze a bit, but all around strength from deadlifts and rowing will help way more then simply squeezing something.

Whenever someone asks how to get stronger punches or wrestling or whatever, the best answer is usually deadlifts. I'm not even joking. I noticed huge difference in my ability lock on chokes and locks when I was deadlifting 365 as opposed to 185.

Stronger back (for arching), back, biceps and forearms/grip make it so great.

jnp
4/03/2008 10:44pm,
You can also accomplish finite strength gains, and pick up a good habit, by squeezing with your knees at close to maximum EVERY time you drill any jointlock that involves clamping with the knees. Do this deliberately when you drill so that you will do it instinctively while sparring.

Kikuchiyo
4/04/2008 1:17am,
I don't think so. Sure it helps to train the squeeze a bit, but all around strength from deadlifts and rowing will help way more then simply squeezing something.

Whenever someone asks how to get stronger punches or wrestling or whatever, the best answer is usually deadlifts. I'm not even joking. I noticed huge difference in my ability lock on chokes and locks when I was deadlifting 365 as opposed to 185.

Stronger back (for arching), back, biceps and forearms/grip make it so great.

I think there may be some slight confusion that needs to be cleared. While it is certainly easier to finish a choke or other submission (ie an ankle lock/achilles hold) via strength, to reach any sort of elite or even average proficiency with a submission you have to know how to properly apply the pressure. You can be exceptionally strong but unless you're dropping your weight on the shoulder for a brabo or have the right part of your wrist/forearm on the achilles for an ankle lock its going to be difficult to finish. Building squeeze strength by RNCing a basketball or your leg is only going to help with your RNC. I definitely think you're right to put an emphasis on improving strength to improve squeeze, but you also have to put in some serious time to improve the speed at which your sub finishes. A white belt can tap someone with a brabo just like a black belt, but in nearly every scenario the black belt's choke will be much tighter, much quicker.