PDA

View Full Version : Low carb query

Blaq_Sun
3/28/2008 10:21am,
A number of years ago i was somewhat overweight and suffered a slip disk. Being unable to train i had to find some other way of losing weight and a change in diet seemed the way to go. Previously the massive input of calories was maintained by training it off.

Anyway i switched to low carb and not only did i hit my target weight i also felt great. My energy levels were through the roof. However i noticed that when going beyond a certain level of energy output i didnt quite have the same reserves that i used to when i carb loaded.

It was like i got get to 70% and stay there all day but when the intensity went to 90%+ i ran out of steam a lot faster than i should have. Dropping back down below this mark my energy recovered pretty quickly and i was fne at that level.

I never really got to find out whether this approach was good or not for training because of various reasons i stopped eating healthily and slowly put the wiehgt back on.

Let me clarify when i say low carb i was not following atkins ... but rather trying to eat what my ancestors of 1000 years would have eaten. Basically no processed foods (that includes sugar and processed flour), no chemicals. Just fresh meat, poultry, fish, vegetables and dairy... nuts and berries. I was taking a multi vitamin supplement and Vit C supplement (for my back). The only bread i would eat was homemade with soya flower and a whole load of seeds. More a low gi - hi natural fats type of diet.

I am now back to this way of eating partially because it will help me lose weight (cutting out sugar will do that on its own) but also because i enjoyed the benefits the last time i did it.

I am however concerned that it may effect my ability to fight at an intense level and am wondering if anyone else has had any experience of training in a state of ketosys?(sp?)

Or maybe point me to some sources of study.

Thanks,

Q.

Nemesis Pai
3/28/2008 10:45am,
Blaq, I am also currently on a low carb diet and experiencing similar issues with running out of energy during intensive workouts. You are feeling this, because ideally, your body is converting your fat for energy. Because this conversion is much slower than burning carbs, you will hit the "wall" a lot quicker.
Most "low-carb" diets still allow for some carbs each day. I would suggest saving them up on days you workout and then mini carb load an hour or so before your workout.
Truth is, if you are truly working out at such an intensive level on a regular basis, you won't need to be "low-carb" for long. Just be careful not to revert back to bad eating habits after your diet.
Good luck on reaching your goal!

Blaq_Sun
3/28/2008 10:53am,
Blaq, I am also currently on a low carb diet and experiencing similar issues with running out of energy during intensive workouts. You are feeling this, because ideally, your body is converting your fat for energy. Because this conversion is much slower than burning carbs, you will hit the "wall" a lot quicker.
Most "low-carb" diets still allow for some carbs each day. I would suggest saving them up on days you workout and then mini carb load an hour or so before your workout.
Truth is, if you are truly working out at such an intensive level on a regular basis, you won't need to be "low-carb" for long. Just be careful not to revert back to bad eating habits after your diet.
Good luck on reaching your goal!

Thanks for the input Nemesis Pai :) What you says makes sense, i tried fat loading but that obviously didnt work so maybe i should save those carbs as you say. Perhaps some kind of energy supplement? Something drunk or something eaten?

Q.

Nemesis Pai
3/28/2008 4:30pm,
An energy bar/drink (or half of one) that doesn't blow your daily carbs should be fine.

N.

hpr
3/28/2008 4:56pm,
Or if you don't like that processed thing just eat berries and fruit before training.

Blaq_Sun
3/28/2008 5:09pm,
Berries and fruit seems like a good idea ... thanks for the input. Now off to research which would be the best fruit. I am thinking somehting citrus perhaps.

Asriel
3/28/2008 6:48pm,
I'm trying the low carb thing myself and I find that although I can deal with lifting weights on low carbs, my BJJ suffers. So I started having a few carbs on BJJ days and felt the difference, but i'm still managing to shed body fat