PDA

View Full Version : I present to you....

Pages : [1] 2

7thSamurai
3/19/2008 1:06am,
The Smith and Wesson 500

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/dutchmaster3/shooting001.jpg

If you've never shot one, it's absurd. The specs on the pistol can be found in various locations. I'll post my observations here.

The pistol is quite heavy. It weighs in at about 4.5 lbs, holds five rounds, comes with interchangeable front sights, and pokes big holes in things from afar. For a size comparision on the round against some others that I was shooting that day, I've included a picture below.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/dutchmaster3/shooting003.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/dutchmaster3/shooting005.jpg

From righ to left, we have a .22, the .17 HMR, the 44, a 500, .308 Win, and a 30.06. The bottomw photo is the 500 next to the .308 Win.

It's considerably larger than the 44. When you pick it up and load it, it has great heft and feels very solid. Overall it is very well made. No frills.

The reviews of the Cor Bon round I was shooting put it at 275 grains at 1665 fps. I've heard some variances in load types have produced faster rounds with more punch. These punch plenty. With the compensator, I did not notice a ridiculous amount of muzzle flip on the weapon. I've heard some complain that it has too much flip. I also seen some shoot it with poor stances and placement of their hands. They wind up with the recoil sending the pistols up and over their head.

That said, it does bump. It feels like you're blocking a decent kick with an open palm. I found the action to be almost straight to the rear. It's jarring.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/dutchmaster3/shooting007.jpg

I fired the pistol from 50 yds on a bench with no support for the pistol. After cocking the hammer back, the pistol is ready to go. The trigger releases smoothly, with no slack. I'm not sure what the trigger was set to, but it was out of the box. The first round when center and high. I forgot the change out the front sight. I corrected the issue with the front sight and placed the remaining rounds close, but not exactly center mass.

Overall, I thought it was a fun, if not absurd pistol to shoot. I'm told it's for hunting big game and it accurate out to 200 yds. I'm also told that the scope that was on the one I fired broke after 10 rds and was guaranteed to handle the recoil from the 500. It was easy to handle, break down the site, and fire. I'm not sure it's good for me for anything other than a curiousity, but it's a fun pistol to have and shoot.

Cassius
3/19/2008 10:36am,
17 HMR is pretty fun to shoot. Especially at varmints. Because they explode.

bad credit
3/19/2008 12:16pm,
I assume the snubnose version has more kick, right?

chemistry
3/19/2008 12:41pm,
How's the trigger pull? If it's as crisp and clean as the 686 revolver, then that would be a perfect match.

7thSamurai
3/19/2008 1:18pm,
I thought the trigger pull was pretty crisp. Prior to firing the 500 I was shooting my M14 (M1A) and there was a large amount of take up in the trigger after the rifle cycled the first round. I was kind of surprised to fire the 500. There was no slack in the trigger and it released cleanly. I think it kind of helps since no matter what I did I was unable to not anticipate the shot.

7thSamurai
3/19/2008 1:20pm,
17 HMR is pretty fun to shoot. Especially at varmints. Because they explode.

What flavor do you have? I've got the Marlin 917VSF. It's incredibly accurate. I'll post pics and a review later.

7thSamurai
3/19/2008 1:22pm,
I assume the snubnose version has more kick, right?

Without the compensator, I imagine it would have hella kick. I've never seen a snubnose 500 and I can't imagine what you'd do with it. It might be a tad excessive for concealed carry.

Phoenix
3/19/2008 9:39pm,
Overall, I thought it was a fun, if not absurd pistol to shoot. I'm told it's for hunting big game and it accurate out to 200 yds.

Any idea what the bullet drop is at that range?

SFGOON
3/19/2008 10:45pm,
If you're going to own a pistol like that, you need to grow a bushy mustache.

7thSamurai
3/20/2008 1:05am,

I can't answer that question. I'm sorry. I'm still learning the ballistics data.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=500%20SqqqW%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

Phoenix
3/20/2008 1:38am,
I can't answer that question. I'm sorry. I'm still learning the ballistics data.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=500%20SqqqW%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

No, that's cool.

Only reason I was curious is because I would have figured this round have a pretty high ballistic coefficient because of it's size.

Wondering if it'd be better than the .50 AE, in terms of range and accuracy.

King Sleepless
3/20/2008 4:23am,
Damn it. My awesome joke reply got canceled. Damn you NBC. DAMN YOU FOR HATING LOVE AND AMERICA.

Anyway, I love that gun. It's secretly my favorite super hero.

bitparity
3/20/2008 7:38am,

Well bullet drop is independent of horizontal velocity as drop is influenced purely by gravity. So to calculate bullet drop at a specific range (assuming you're firing perfectly horizontal), you just need to know the bullet's speed, calculate time to that distance, then determine how far that bullet would fall in a straight drop in that time using the constant acceleration rate for gravity (which I don't know off the top of my head).

7thSamurai
3/20/2008 7:59am,
Can you explain that using a common round?

bitparity
3/20/2008 9:02am,
So for simplicity sakes, say you're firing a gun perfectly horizontal. Let's have bullet velocity at 3000 fps, and you want to calculate bullet drop for a target 3000 feet away. So it will reach the target in 1 second. Standard gravity (i looked it up) is 32.1740 ft/sē. So in one second, the bullet'll drop 32 feet. Kind of a bitch for aiming eh?

With the average person being about 6 feet high, that means shooting perfectly horizontal with a bullet that can go 3000 fps (slightly faster than an M-16) that bullet can only go about 560 feet before it hits the ground in about 0.18 seconds.

Keep in mind, this is super super super oversimplified, because while drop is affected purely by gravity, horizontal velocity is affected by EVERY FREAKIN THING POSSIBLE. Like wind resistance, bullet aerodynamics, bullet composition, humidity, temperature, etc. etc. etc. Because that bullet velocity is constantly varied at a reducing rate, that's where the complex math comes into calculating bullet drop.

But for a simple base calculation, plug in average bullet velocity to distance to figure out time, then plug in time to gravity to figure out drop distance.

7thSamurai
3/20/2008 9:37am,
I think a more in depth discussion of this would make an excellent thread. This is something I've been trying to learn recently. I'm trying to step up my shooting and get involved in some competitive matches and I'm certain that this would greatly increase my knowledge of shooting.