PDA

View Full Version : The Bruce Lee Story

Pages : [1] 2

thomasaaron
11/13/2003 12:23pm,
I was watching the Bruce Lee Story last night. The one with Jason Scott Lee.

Did Bruce really have that challenge match?
Did he really kick the guys butt and then get punk'd from behind?
And did he really fight the same guy again at Ed Parker's seminar (or competition or whatever it was)?
Did he really end up fighting the guys brother in the filming of the Big Boss?

Is this stuff a matter of history, or was it just dramatization?

Ronin
11/13/2003 12:27pm,
No to everything above, it was ALL dramatized and/or made up for the movie.

shironinja
11/13/2003 12:30pm,
Can you provide a link or additional information? I'm afraid if there is no backup documentation the media will create history then unless it is challenged properly.

Ronin
11/13/2003 12:32pm,
There are vid clips of the demo he did at Ed Parkers.
As for the rest.... I don't save any links about that stuff, but i am sure SOMEONE here has.

FingerorMoon?
11/13/2003 5:36pm,
Almost nothing in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee story" is based on fact. There is no need to consult conspiracy theories, the OFFICAL books contains the actual information which is nothing like the movie.

Did Bruce really have that challenge match?

Yes. The official line is that it lasted a few minutes but Bruce wasn't happy with how winded he was and how long it took him to finish the guy.

Other recollections seem to indicate it went much longer than a few minutes, but still: Bruce wasn't happy with how winded he was and how long it took him to finish the guy.

The only account I've seen that said it was a draw was by the guy he fought in that match....

Did he really kick the guys butt and then get punk'd from behind?

Nope, totally made up.
Bruce badly fucked up his back doing the 'good morning' exercise with heavy weights without warming up.

(Good morning is the same motion as the stiff legged deadlift but the bar is on your shoulders like a squat, which changes the forces being applied)

They changed this for the movie, because badly messing up your back through incorrect warm up is not the most dramatic of storylines.

And did he really fight the same guy again at Ed Parker's seminar (or competition or whatever it was)?

No.
He did a demonstration there, and did some full contact (fully padded up) with one of his students. Its interesting to see and is JKD in its very early stages. Footage is available on the net, and often appears in Lee doco's.

Did he really end up fighting the guys brother in the filming of the Big Boss?

No. They just wanted to put in a big dramatic fight scene.
Its not that big a stretch though, it has been widely reported he did have more than a few 'challenge matches' on the set of Enter the Dragon with the martial artists that were hired to be Han's soldiers (some pictures are on the net, some actually appear in a recent picture book in the official releases)

Of course it goes without saying the evil samurai spirit he was fighting in his dreams was real.

akamai
11/13/2003 6:31pm,
The dude he fought in the challenge match is still alive and lives in San Francisco

here's a different side of the story
http://www.lakungfu.com/sifujackmanwong.html

FingerorMoon?
11/13/2003 7:04pm,
Yeah, thats the account I've read.

Its hilarious.
Among other things, Wong claims that he didn't use his high kicks because they were just too dangerous, and that he is far more dangerous now because he has developed his internal chi to such a high level.

He also says he fought defensively because he was afraid he'd kill Lee if he used the full extent of his ability.

I fully believe his bit about Lee fighting dirty and constantly going for the eyes since he preached that sort of fighting openly (and put many references to it in his movies)

Sicilian Dragon
11/13/2003 8:34pm,
I found the following link after my last viewing of Dragon. The movie was very entertaining, but I would have enjoyed it ten times more if they made it more factual.

http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/dragon.html

blankslate
11/14/2003 12:14am,
On a side note, I find it interesting that quite a few MAs in the community came out in a renewed effort pushing JKD "fighting strategies", associations, etc. that seemed to coincide with the release of this movie. Dan Insonato was not one of them.

I thought the movie was cute by the way.

KageReaper
11/14/2003 2:53am,
The movie was ok...but it wasn't very accurate. way too dramatized. ha..odd they find it hard to find drama in a broke philosophy majors life. Money is a source of lots o drama, and lack of it..ouch.

The Wastrel
11/14/2003 9:48am,
Of course the scene in which he fights, entirely spontaneously, a gang of meat-cleaver wielding Chinese waiters is entirely based in fact.

Ronin
11/14/2003 9:50am,
hahahahahahah !!!!!

KageReaper
11/14/2003 12:37pm,
Originally posted by The Wastrel
Of course the scene in which he fights, entirely spontaneously, a gang of meat-cleaver wielding Chinese waiters is entirely based in fact.

LOL..yeah..that scence got the peoples eyebrow from me. If they wanted to have a fight scene so bad..why not a mugging or something a bit more believeable. Talk about pulling something right outta the butt.

Greg
11/14/2003 1:10pm,
I would have added a fight scene like this…

Cue in the funky 70’s music *WaaaWaaaaWaaaWaaaWachka WaaaWaaaaWaaaWaaaWachka*

Bruce is strolling down the city sidewalk wearing cheesy sunglasses, looking like a hip dude out on the town.

All of a sudden you hear a woman’s voice go “Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllp! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllp!”

Bruce looks down the alleyway, sees ruffians struggling with cute chick.

Quick zoom up of his face as he briskly takes his sunglasses off with serious look.

Ruffians notice Bruce and say something like “Hey you there! What are you looking at? Why don’t you just run along?”
Then they mockingly all go “Hahahahahahaahahahahaa”

Bruce: “Why don’t you just let the girl go?”

Ruffian Leader: “Ha! Try and make us!”

More exciting faster tempo funky 70’s music starts and they begin to fight with loud slapping sounds.

Ronin
11/14/2003 1:12pm,
Then, out of nowhere jumps out :
JIM KELLY !!!!!! afro and all !!!!
Now we got some 70's **** happening dude !!!!!!!

KageReaper
11/14/2003 1:14pm,
Hahaa..wasn't that scence already in one of his movies lol. i think he may have beat you to it.