PDA

View Full Version : Fun Alternate Targets (melons?)

Pages : [1] 2

cutlerjoel
3/05/2008 10:28pm,
Hey all -

I have some familiarity with Western martial arts. Most of the guys I know will train cutting with "realistic" things like tatami mats wrapped around bamboo and occasionally things like whole pigs. They also regularly (maybe more often) cut "fun" things like cabbages (try to make coleslaw!), carrots, cardboard tubes... just about anything that is inexpensive, won't damage their sword and will produce some interesting result when struck.

The WMA guys I know don't mistake this for any real training - it's just for fun.

So my question is: Do any practitioners of unarmed combat styles have similar "fun" things they like to strike? Kicking a cardboard tube or punching a carrot don't sound like much fun. Does anyone have a substitute? What would be cheap, non-damaging to the weapon (fist etc.) and produce some satisfying/spectacular result when struck?

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm greener than green and did make at least a stab at the search function.

Cheers (and have enjoyed lurking for a long time)!

Purpleskunk
3/05/2008 11:10pm,
did you get this off the contender asia? and how the **** do you punch a carrot? dick punching practice. a 50 lbs bag of rice is fun.

Kid Miracleman
3/05/2008 11:49pm,
You could always go the "Rocky" route and try punching a giant hanging slab of beef in a meat locker.

Happy Panda
3/05/2008 11:53pm,
Seals. Baby seals.

Drake LaMancha
3/06/2008 12:40am,
I grapple my pit bull talk about the r34l d34dlylol.

DdlR
3/06/2008 1:00am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsafDjCCxI

wanabeshinobi
3/06/2008 1:35am,
I train with melons, but then again I train grappling.

Permalost
3/06/2008 2:03am,
For blade stuff, check out Cold Steel's free DVDs for some ideas of fun things to cut (and some really horrible ideas of things to cut).

EternalRage
3/06/2008 2:09am,
i read melons and immediately clicked on the link thinking one thing, and was sorely disappointed.

Tofudog
3/06/2008 2:18am,
I train with melons, but then again I train grappling.
Thread won.

tomhall911
3/06/2008 1:47pm,
i once got bored at school and palm striked my apple.

the wall looked like someone sprayed it with apple sauce, but then the cleaner walked past a second after and made me clean up the mess.

Beorn
3/06/2008 3:00pm,
abandonded puppies, episcapalians, and white belts. for real though i got drunk and my friends convinced me to try and break what i found out later to be a pressure treated scrap of wood. it broke, but **** did that hurt in the morning

Su Lin
3/06/2008 3:03pm,
See,I thought this was going to be a debate about hitting wimminz in the chest!:cwm10:

The Question
3/06/2008 3:05pm,
See,I thought this was going to be a debate about hitting wimminz in the chest!:cwm10:

No, it's going to be about *touching* women in the chest. A subtle difference.

illegalusername
3/06/2008 3:07pm,
Why do you want to punch titties? Titties are good! :qbluewack

Su Lin
3/06/2008 3:11pm,
I don't like hitting in them,but I get hit often enough in them! :new_shock