PDA

View Full Version : Mother of two becomes Japan's oldest boxer at 44

Kid Miracleman
3/01/2008 11:54pm,
Mother of two becomes Japan's oldest boxer at age 44

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02pm EST

TOKYO (Reuters) - A 44-year-old mother of two has become Japan's oldest professional boxer after passing the Japanese board's license test.

Kazumi Izaki, who has daughters aged 21 and 14 and herself turns 45 next week, laced up her first pair of boxing gloves in 2001.

"She has passed," the Japan Boxing Commission (JBC) told Reuters Friday.

"This is first time she has held a JBC license and she is now Japan's oldest pro boxer."

Under JBC rules, applicants for a license must be under 32 but Izaki was allowed permission to fight because she previously won a Japanese title, albeit one not recognized by the country's governing body.

Hiroaki Yokota had held the distinction of being Japan's oldest professional boxer but the 46-year-old declined to renew his license.

"I try not to think about my age," the former aerobics instructor told reporters.

"I'm a mum but I'm going to give it everything I've got.

"I wanted to show my children that if you give up, then you're washed up!"

(Reporting by Alastair Himmer; Editing by John O'Brien)
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2964869320080229

Here's a pic from Yahoo! Sports...

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4431/5cf42cd39388771d6361cb9hf4.jpg

Caption: Kazumi Izaki, a 44-year-old mother of two, shadowboxes on the ring for Japan's first women's boxing professional test in Tokyo on February 28, 2008. Izaki, a fitness club instructor won approval on February 29 as Japan's oldest professional boxer of either gender, among 20 women who were awarded licenses from the Japan Boxing Commission. (STR/AFP/Getty Images)

TroyForum
3/02/2008 12:36am,
I just read this on Yahoo an hour ago. I hope that Izaki doesn't get hurt, but it's cool that she made it back into the ring. She kind of looks like Michele Yeoh. Maybe they can make a movie about Izaki.