PDA

View Full Version : Yello New Here

slix
2/27/2008 12:26pm,
Hey bullshido. Sweet site so far but I can't seem to find where to adjust my signature ... I'm sure it's something simple but oh well.

Ok so my intro here goes.

27 year old law student living in Brighton, MA.
I train and live in the Shim Gwang Sa Mind Light Temple of Shim Gum Do. The art realized by our founding master Chang Sik Kim 40 years ago during a 100 day meditation retreat when he was a 21 year old Buddhist monk.

I've been training in Shim Gum Do (Zen Sword) since September 2007 and while I've had a couple complaints about the style/teaching and a small bout with training burnout ultimately I'm still very happy. I will probably begin training in the weaponless form here soon as well. I'm planning on living here through August 2009 and thus giving myself 2 years here.

I would like to expand my training into a traditional kung fu school but as they are so hard to find I've been very slow in achieving this. Also if anyone has any recommendations for solid schools (actually learning to fight not wu shu) in Boston or Seattle -- where I am now and where I'm going :) -- I am all ears.

I'm a strong believer in the 'martial artist' in that many styles can be **** if the person training them doesn't take them seriously and only memorizes forms going through the motions.

Other stuff I'm into... big poker player. Saved my ass on PokerStars for a month this winter when it looked like I was going to be broke ha. Play mostly no limit hold 'em but love Razz and HORSE. I've found that practicing Zen has allowed me to gain far greater clarity and have fewer emotional swings during gameplay which allows for much better play over time.

Also am a bit of a part time meditation teacher. It's a major part of what we do here at the temple but not everyone does it outside of mind training and I've helped several dozen friends and acquaintances to learn to meditate without giving up early.

Aight thanks and that's prolly more than anyone wanted to know. ^.^/

James Nixon

GhostOfKimura
2/27/2008 12:27pm,
So slix, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

PizDoff
2/27/2008 1:10pm,
Wow, he even made a school review too!
Link (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1729845#post1729845)

Welcome to the forum.
We have lots of people from MA, the Boston area crew meet up every once in a while. You should go check them out the in Throwdown forum as well!