PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Get Hit in the Face!

Vince Tortelli
2/26/2008 10:06pm,
I just joined an amateur boxing gym two weeks ago, on the grounds that in BJJ you don't get punched in the face, but in MMA you do, so if I plan on ever doing MMA I should probably train while getting punched in the face. The charges are reasonable ($25 a month) the coach has turned out some guys who have done really well on the amateur boxing scene. My problem is that you have to train there 2 months before you are allowed to spar with anyone. WTF?!? This seems weird to me, coming from a BJJ background where you are thrown to the brown belts on your first night to see if you will bothre showing up again. Is this normal for striking styles or am I getting McDojoed?

cyril
2/26/2008 10:10pm,
If your sparring consists of wind-milling at your opponent, they don't want you to build bad habits before you can train the good one.

WhiteShark once said the reason this is true. In grappling, it's easy to "show someone the light", but in striking, people will eat punches in the face all day and say that they did all right. Just trust the outcome. The method must be good, if the outcome is.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
2/26/2008 10:12pm,
I've heard of this before in boxing. This doesn't make it McDojo, they just want to make sure you know enough to be able to spar. They'll probably make you spend a lot of time on footwork before you ever get to punching.

So do I get to punch you in the face now?

Detritus
2/26/2008 10:13pm,
My boxing gym is the same way, the coach usually doesn't let you spar unless you've had at least three months of boxing experience.

I think the reasoning is that in BJJ, even if you're getting tooled by black belts you can tap and avoid injury. With boxing, if you don't have basic defensive skills you can get hurt fairly easily (broken ribs/nose, ect.)

Goju - Joe
2/26/2008 10:14pm,
Why don't you join an MMA gym so you can experience the joy of trying to get out from side control whilst being hit in the face?

Seriously though boxing and BJJ is not the same thing as grappling with strikes.

Vince Tortelli
2/26/2008 10:17pm,
Okay, I have zero experience in "reputable" striking arts (karate and Han Mu Do don't count) so I had no idea if this was par for the course or what. And the fact that I am currently making a strong run at the title of World's Least Naturally Gifted Boxer might have something to do with my willingness to cry "McDojo!" and bail out (my jump rope and speed bag drills rival anything the Three Stooges ever put on camera).
Oh, and Detritus...you read Terry Pratchett?

Vince Tortelli
2/26/2008 10:19pm,
Why don't you join an MMA gym so you can experience the joy of trying to get out from side control whilst being hit in the face?

Seriously though boxing and BJJ is not the same thing as grappling with strikes.

Because the two nearest MMA gyms are a two hour drive away, and cost four or five times what the boxing gym costs. I realize that training the striking and grappling seperately is not the ideal solution, but I figured it would be better than having no striking training at all.

Detritus
2/26/2008 10:22pm,
Actually, yeah he's one of my favorite authors. Did you hear he's been diagnosed with Alzheimers?

Rivington
2/26/2008 10:34pm,
Have you considered traveling to a well-trafficked public place and sharing some of your opinions with the passers-by?

Vince Tortelli
2/26/2008 10:39pm,
Actually, yeah he's one of my favorite authors. Did you hear he's been diagnosed with Alzheimers?

Aw, crap! Not Terry! I have everything he's written from "Guards, Guards" to "Making Money", and was looking forward to more. Prayers are with you, Mr. Prachett.

Rivington: I would do such a thing, but I lack the requisite thick, manly beard and "posse" of "ganstas". Also, I'm a white guy.

Detritus
2/26/2008 10:44pm,
Aw, crap! Not Terry! I have everything he's written from "Guards, Guards" to "Making Money", and was looking forward to more. Prayers are with you, Mr. Prachett.

Yeah, I was seriously pissed when I read that. Apparently he's gonna hold it down long enough to write two more books, although I'm kinda skeptical about how good they'll be. I wasn't impressed by "Making Money"

Vince Tortelli
2/26/2008 10:48pm,
Yeah, I was seriously pissed when I read that. Apparently he's gonna hold it down long enough to write two more books, although I'm kinda skeptical about how good they'll be. I wasn't impressed by "Making Money"

It wasn't as good as "Going Postal", I'll agree, but I still enjoyed it. My two favorites are "Night Watch" and "The Fifth Elephant". What about you?

Detritus
2/26/2008 10:55pm,
Fifth Elefant for sure, it was the first Pratchett book I read and the political intrigue was what hooked me on the series. My top favorites are "The Light Fantastic", "Mort", and "Small Gods"

Rivington
2/26/2008 10:58pm,
Detritus is almost not retarded for mentioning Small Gods.

No such luck for Vince yet.

The correct answers are Small Gods, Jingo, Carpe Jugulum, and Eric, in that order.

The Question
2/26/2008 11:01pm,
I just joined an amateur boxing gym two weeks ago, on the grounds that in BJJ you don't get punched in the face, but in MMA you do, so if I plan on ever doing MMA I should probably train while getting punched in the face. The charges are reasonable ($25 a month) the coach has turned out some guys who have done really well on the amateur boxing scene. My problem is that you have to train there 2 months before you are allowed to spar with anyone. WTF?!? This seems weird to me, coming from a BJJ background where you are thrown to the brown belts on your first night to see if you will bothre showing up again. Is this normal for striking styles or am I getting McDojoed?

That is perfectly normal. In inferior arts like BJJ, you toss a noob into sparring to lower his self esteem and to restore the self esteem of a slightly more experienced member who is used to getting his ass beat.

In superior arts such as boxing, kickboxing and muay thai, tossing noobs into sparring will result in **** getting banged, busted and broken. A noob who jumps into sparring will get his ass beat and is likely to get too fucked up to want to continue.

And now let's mention the painfully obvious reason:

It easier to develop proper technique if a beginner is started off with padwork, bagwork and drills. Getting hit in the face fucks with your game. If you get hit in the face too often before knowing how to protect yourself and fire back, you will develop bad habits. This is what is happening to me where MMA is concerned.

Detritus
2/26/2008 11:03pm,
Detritus is almost not retarded for mentioning Small Gods.

No such luck for Vince yet.

The correct answers are Small Gods, Jingo, Carpe Jugulum, and Eric, in that order.

Almost not retarded? Sir, you are too kind.

I've never read "Eric", and "Jingo" was pretty good, but "Carpe Jugulum" almost bored me.