PDA

View Full Version : Martial artist, 75, still gets his kicks competing

Pages : [1] 2

PizDoff
2/25/2008 1:13pm,
Martial artist, 75, still gets his kicks

WASHINGTON | Don't let the 30 stuffed Elmos in Tom Sulick Sr.'s living room fool you.

His martial arts trophies are really his greatest collection. More than 60 of them take up almost a third of his spare bedroom. Several are almost 6 feet tall.

Though 75 years old, Sulick has not stopped expanding the trophy collection. In fact, he added to it Feb. 17 when he took first place in form for competitors 55 and older in the Golden Rule Karate 2008 Tournament at Warren Hills Regional High School.

Everyone Sulick competed against barely qualified for the category.

"I was the oldest one -- the rest were all in their 50s," he said.

Washington Township resident Gary Lanfrank, who's competed with Sulick for 40 years, said he's impressed with Sulick's longevity in the sport.

"He's a 75-year-old man and he still competes. I hope when I get up to that age I can still do it," said the 55-year-old Lanfrank. "He's really dedicated."

Sulick had brief tae kwon do lessons in 1952 when he served in Korea, but his real start with the sport was 1967. The Phillipsburg native became a black belt by 1972.

He co-owned a karate school for several years in Dover, N.J., and has been inducted in several martial arts halls of fame, including the World Karate Union Hall of Fame and the Worldwide Alliance of Martial Artists Hall of Fame.

The accolades aren't that important to him.

http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/nj/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1203915946293470.xml&coll=2

Woweee!
He must be like 18th dan by now!

serious face
2/25/2008 7:30pm,
Interesting...
I really don't know what to say, this kind of ranks up there with the tai chi in the park crew

True Story

syberia
2/25/2008 7:33pm,
Wow... Good on him...

partyboy
2/25/2008 8:05pm,
umm, so what does he do exactly?

serious face
2/25/2008 8:07pm,
umm, so what does he do exactly?

Form Form

kihap
2/25/2008 9:30pm,
Interesting...
I really don't know what to say, this kind of ranks up there with the tai chi in the park crew

Any Westerner who reaches his/her statistical life expectancy will some day be as old as this guy. Don't act like some 20 year old ditz who thinks she's going to be hot forever. WTF do you want him to do? Try out for the ultimate fighter? Everyone gets old. It WILL happen to you. Don't kid yourself that when you're 75 you'll still be kicking ass and taking names. At his age, more power to him. Doing forms is a hell of lot better than waiting for death in a rocking chair.

CharlesTC
2/25/2008 10:13pm,
Seriously, that guy is great for what he is doing. More power to the man!

Marc Spector
2/25/2008 10:41pm,
Eh, he might be competing at point-sparring or katas, but I still gotta give him credit. I'll be lucky if I can walk at 55, let alone 75.

serious face
2/25/2008 11:13pm,
Any Westerner who reaches his/her statistical life expectancy will some day be as old as this guy.

Uhhh... What? Why does it have to be a Westerner? Is it not impressive as an asian?

Don't act like some 20 year old ditz who thinks she's going to be hot forever.

No points. This wasn't my point.

WTF do you want him to do? Try out for the ultimate fighter? Everyone gets old. It WILL happen to you.

I disagree, people like me die young.

Don't kid yourself that when you're 75 you'll still be kicking ass and taking names. At his age, more power to him. Doing forms is a hell of lot better than waiting for death in a rocking chair.

Doing forms vs rocking chair? In your opinion man. IYO. I never said he was a loser, I just said that it is the same to me as a local park Tai Chi program. By the way, Mr. Miagi wasn't real. :thefinger

Bustardo
2/25/2008 11:32pm,
What's wrong with old people doing Tai Chi in a park? At least they're getting off their ass. While not having "OMG I AM AN ASS KICKER" Benefits Tai Chi does have some merits as far as exercise goes.

serious face
2/25/2008 11:43pm,
What's wrong with old people doing Tai Chi in a park? At least they're getting off their ass. While not having "OMG I AM AN ASS KICKER" Benefits Tai Chi does have some merits as far as exercise goes.

Jesus Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, and the Easter Bunny too.

I wasn't saying it was bad, I only compared "him" to "them."

kihap
2/26/2008 4:54am,
Uhhh... What? Why does it have to be a Westerner? Is it not impressive as an asian?

My bad, he didn't look Asian to me. Actually, the point is that if you don't live in an industrialized nation, your life expectancy is generally far less. BTW, I used "Western" as a geo-political than geographic description. Japan, for example, is a Western nation, i.e. an industrialized democracy.

No points. This wasn't my point.

Really? I think a fair implication of your comment is that doing forms at 75 is not strenuous enough. Tai Chi in the park is how you put it. Of course, maybe they do Tai Chi differently in the parks from where you come.

I disagree, people like me die young.

Then I guess you won't reach your statistical life expectancy, will you? BTW, that's called thinning the herd.

Doing forms vs rocking chair? In your opinion man. IYO. I never said he was a loser, I just said that it is the same to me as a local park Tai Chi program. By the way, Mr. Miagi wasn't real.

I'm trying to reconcile your apparent wish to burn out rather than fade away with your apparent preference for the rocking chair. Thanks for the tip on Mr. Miagi. See my statement that you WON'T be kicking ass and taking names at 75 a la a fictional Mr. Miagi.

:thefinger
A very good and well made point. Allow me to offer a retort.:bootyshak

drummingman
2/26/2008 7:43am,
i think that its cool the man is still doing his thing.

TomMack
2/26/2008 4:19pm,
i think that its cool the man is still doing his thing.

I think it's pretty cool too , at least his not somewhere sitting watching TV

Boyd
2/26/2008 4:19pm,
Pizdoff, do you ever get tired of copying and pasting "get your kicks!" puns?

serious face
2/26/2008 5:42pm,
Doing forms is the same fucking thing as Tai Chi.

That being said Kihap, I surrender, the thread is yours...