PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally bullshido'd

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jadonblade
2/24/2008 1:05pm,
At the moment Im working as a youth worker. Couple of months ago a kid (16/17ish) is having a bad panic attack. So I decided to show him some breathing techniques to help with his anxiety. So I show him some basic chi kung breathing stuff, he digs the chi stuff and I reckon the diaphramitic breathing will do the trick. It certainly helps. I dont hear anything else about it till a few months later. I figured he just got bored at some point. Turns out this kid has been practising almost every day and talking about it with his other buddies.

So he comes up to me and asks if I can show him some more exercises, and then goes on about how he can feel his chi and someone told him he was developing lightning chi.

I nearly threw up in my mouth. I think chi kung is a good tool for getting relaxed, loose, developing good breathing etc (which is what I see "chi" as anyway). But im not to sure how to get him back to this path. I wouldnt be suprised if he tries a kamehameha, or a chidori...

So should I show him the next few exercises (they are a very basic set of 8 or so exercises) in the hope it will still help him with his breathing and he will get bored of this chi malarchy? Or should I cut him off to stem the damage?

To make thread more of a contribution I invite people to post about similar experiences where you have shown someone a technique or exercise and their imaginations have run wild.

SFGOON
2/24/2008 1:32pm,
Either you teach him the right way or he turns to Naruto for his information. It's up to you.

He listens to you, which is rare for a dickhead kid. You may have to take the little shite under your wing for a bit.

Dinosaur AMP
2/24/2008 3:04pm,
Either you teach him the right way or he turns to Naruto for his information. It's up to you.

yeah, you don't want him turning to the streets for his chi kung drills.

He listens to you, which is rare for a dickhead kid. You may have to take the little shite under your wing for a bit.

my thoughts exactly. He's old enough to know that [SPOILER!!]Santa Claus isn't real[/SPOILER!!], so I think he can handle the rest. Just let him know what the exercises are, and what they aren't. It's either that, or he listens to these other kids and you see him a few years down the road doing wrist grabs in an Aikido store front.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
2/24/2008 4:31pm,
This kid is in high school, right? Hasn't he taken a science class yet? Why can't you just exaplin to him that there is no such thing as chi? Ands how is he going to hurt himself with breathing exercises?

Sakamonster
2/24/2008 5:19pm,
As long as you explain that the only thing he's doing is breathing properly, and he is not harnessing magical powers, I think it's okay. Make him feel special though, by saying that it's tough to do and not everyone knows how to do it.

Jadonblade
2/24/2008 5:29pm,
This kid is in high school, right? Hasn't he taken a science class yet? Why can't you just exaplin to him that there is no such thing as chi? Ands how is he going to hurt himself with breathing exercises?

Well if he thinks his got teh real chi he might have stroke trying to go super saiyen...

rangerdavy
2/24/2008 5:29pm,
Being close to this kids age myself, you might have the best luck showing him how breathing affects your fighting/throws and such. I know that if I'd spent months telling my friends how awesome this was gonna be, I'd be much more worried about coming back empty handed than just being wrong. So, if you drill it into his head that he won't be pulling off a rasengan ever, but show him some throws or something (and emphasize how breathing correctly is important), I bet you'll get good results.

This is pretty much what Sakamonster said, but I'm using a specific example instead.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
2/24/2008 6:45pm,
Does this kid have access to a computer? If so, show him this website I found:
www.bullshido.net

Kalidude91
2/24/2008 6:53pm,
im in high school and even i know chi energy is bs i dont think he'll try to do so chi techniques on the street

Furious George
2/24/2008 6:55pm,
I'd say do the responsible thing and tell him that the chi gong is good for him, but there's no such thing as "lightning chi".

I've practiced tai chi/chi gong, and it's good for what it is, a way to relax and get in touch with your body and the way it moves/balances. But if you don't explain that there are morons and charlatans out there who claim to know things but don't know **** he will be lost. Better now than when he's ten years into it.

Squerlli
2/24/2008 6:55pm,
As a 17 year old I'm just gonna say that if he can't accept the fact chi doesn't exist it's your job as a person who uses common sense to punch him in the face for saying something as retarded as 'lightning chi'.
Why the **** is my generation so fucking stupid?

Jadonblade
2/24/2008 8:27pm,
It might be worth mentioning this kid has cut his arms up quite abit, fancies abit of make up, sometimes kisses boys and listens to to much dragonforce. To his credit his pretty good at guitar hero and smash bro's melee....

Ill re iterate my stance on the whole chi thing to him (again) and then show him the other exercises. Christ if his been doing the first exercise for this long his gonna be pretty god damn loose after doing all 8. Worst comes to worst he has to realise the truth abit later in life but learns some good breathing,posture etc along the way. Normaly I would try show them the benefits in a sparring setting but that would get me fired. We have rules against hugging!!

Thanks for the input guys, anyone else had similar circumstances where they have shown something to someone and they have gone overboard with it?

Kentucky Fried Chokin
2/24/2008 8:42pm,
It sounds like breathing exercises are the least of this kid's problems.

rangerdavy
2/24/2008 8:51pm,
To his credit his pretty good. . . smash bro's melee

It sounds like breathing exercises are the least of this kid's problems.

I agree. Everyone knows the original Smash Bros was better.

Squerlli
2/25/2008 12:05am,
It might be worth mentioning this kid has cut his arms up quite abit, fancies abit of make up, sometimes kisses boys and listens to to much dragonforce. To his credit his pretty good at guitar hero and smash bro's melee....

Just give up on him now...*cries over next gen being a binch of fucking morons...*
Why!?

Furious George
2/25/2008 12:43am,
Worst comes to worst he has to realise the truth abit later in life

I dunno dude, history shows us this could only get worse

http://www.thesmac.ca/draco.htm