PDA

View Full Version : The Bullshido forum is a McDojo!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Whosthemaster
2/08/2008 9:16am,
This forum is McDojo.

It has different status of users, depending not on self development, but on who pays more! Special forums and all kinds of advantages given only to those who pay more, even the use of an avatar! Charging for even the change of a username??

Sporting a colored username and a special tag is no different than an Ashida Kim paid black belt certificate.

Seriously now, in other non-MA related forums I used to frequent, the users would help pay the bills by giving items to be auctioned amon the users. All money went to paying the server bills. Have you tried anything like that?

ArielT
2/08/2008 9:24am,
Sure, nothing is to stop you from going ahead and auctioning something off, then send in the money.

DHNK
2/08/2008 9:36am,
I saw a couple of people who have avatars but are not supporting members. I'm waiting for enough rep to use an avatar, but I'll just get it when I say something intelligent, I suppose.

jnp
2/08/2008 9:55am,
This forum is McDojo.

It has different status of users, depending not on self development, but on who pays more! Special forums and all kinds of advantages given only to those who pay more, even the use of an avatar! Charging for even the change of a username??

Sporting a colored username and a special tag is no different than an Ashida Kim paid black belt certificate.

Seriously now, in other non-MA related forums I used to frequent, the users would help pay the bills by giving items to be auctioned amon the users. All money went to paying the server bills. Have you tried anything like that?
There's this thing called the free market. You should check it out.

Threads: 62,082, Posts: 1,685,487, Members: 55,216
I'm sure the auction method works well for smaller sites, but I doubt it would work here. Bullshido consumes a ton of bandwidth, and I doubt that the staff is interested in paying for it all by themselves.

This message brought to you by economic reality.

I saw a couple of people who have avatars but are not supporting members. I'm waiting for enough rep to use an avatar, but I'll just get it when I say something intelligent, I suppose.
1000 posts needed if you're not a supporting member.

MrBadGuy
2/08/2008 9:57am,

I'm sure you'll get it soon.

[MIRROR UNIVERSE]

Vulgar42Ox
2/08/2008 10:07am,
I was actually debating donating. Which is something out of character for me. Whats the minimum donation? Do you take check via mail? I dont do the whole credit card number nonsense. You really need 1000 posts to get an avatar? You really shouldnt encourage me to post more.

lklawson
2/08/2008 10:17am,
There's this thing called the free market. You should check it out.
So what you're saying is that those guys who recently trolled Martial Talk were WRONG to harass the TMA folks there because, after all, "there's this thing called the free market" that they should check out?

No BJJ/MMA/Boxing/whatever folks should criticise TMA because "there's this thing called the free market" that they should check out?

So if some Karate school, never spars, awards black belts to toddlers for money, has a zillion ranks and belt stripes all costing money, various and assundry awards for monetary considerations, only does kata, and is conviced that they're the best thing since the invention of oxygen, then all the Bullshido detractors should just SHUT UP because "there's this thing called the free market" and if they don't like the way that Karate school does things they're free to go somewhere else?

Interesting.

Are you new here? ;)

cyril
2/08/2008 10:19am,
So what you're saying is that those guys who recently trolled Martial Talk were WRONG to harass the TMA folks there because, after all, "there's this thing called the free market" that they should check out?

No BJJ/MMA/Boxing/whatever folks should criticise TMA because "there's this thing called the free market" that they should check out?

So if some Karate school, never spars, awards black belts to toddlers for money, has a zillion ranks and belt stripes all costing money, various and assundry awards for monetary considerations, only does kata, and is conviced that they're the best thing since the invention of oxygen, then all the Bullshido detractors should just SHUT UP because "there's this thing called the free market" and if they don't like the way that Karate school does things they're free to go somewhere else?

Interesting.

Are you new here? ;)

We're anti-crappy training and rank inflation, not anti money-making.

It is Fake
2/08/2008 10:22am,

Interesting.

Are you new here? ;)
Wow. This is the most interesting well thought out misdirection I have ever read.

JohnnyCache
2/08/2008 10:23am,

Interesting.

Are you new here? ;)

ON THE INTERNET EVERYTHING IS BINARY

EVEN OPINIONS

OR SHOULD I SAY

EPINIONS

nobody has to donate a damn thing
we're like a commune. From each, too each etc

Tom .C
2/08/2008 10:34am,

Interesting.

Are you new here? ;)

This is an example of irrelevant point fighting. Much like point fighting in it's value and content. If there were trophys awarded for irrelevant point fighting, there would be some benefit for doing it.

mrblackmagic
2/08/2008 10:34am,
OP

Quit being such a fag. Just send the damn money paypal so you can have your Panic at the Disco avatar.

Wolf
2/08/2008 10:35am,
This forum is McDojo.

You have NO idea what it costs to keep this site up. That's why we charge for things. If we didn't rely on the support of members we wouldn't be able to pay the monthly bills for the dedicated server this site NEEDS.

Last time I checked giving someone a colored username for paying didn't give that person a false sense of security that could wind up getting them hurt or worse.

Name one, and I guarandamntee they don't have anywhere near the bandwidth requirements we do. That option just won't work for us.

IamBaytor
2/08/2008 10:43am,
This forum is McDojo.

hey Whosthemaster
Your mom is a McDojo.

She has different status of users, depending not on self development, but on who pays more! Special services adn all kinds of advantages given only to those who pay more, even the use of "toys"! Charging for even the change of lingerie??

Sporting a colored condom and a special "tag" is no diffeent than an Ashida Kim paid black belt certificate.

Seriously now, in other non-MA related back alleys yor mom used to frequent, the users would help pay the bills by giving items to be a sold at a pawn shop. All money went ot paying the bills. Have you tried anything like that?

MrBadGuy
2/08/2008 10:48am,
Guys, guys, let's be reasonable. The OP has a wonderful point. Bullshido is full of hypocrisy, with many saying that realistic training and the ability to fight is of utmost importance, when in reality many practice Miser-fu. This site is a sink hole for money, and we were wrong to troll maritalartstalk. They were having serious discussions about self teaching, and other productive discussions. Obviously everything they were thinking about made sense, even to those who trained combatively. I think bullshido owes not just martialartstalk, but the world, an apology for being the money sinkhole it is.

[MIRROR UNIVERSE]

lklawson
2/08/2008 10:50am,
We're anti-crappy training and rank inflation, not anti money-making.
Oh. So, if it's BJJ/MMA then it'd be OK to have a "Little Dragons" after-school babysitting club? If it's BJJ/MMA, it'd be OK to have 15 belt ranks with 4 stripes each that the student has to test for every 3 months and pay whether or not he passes? If it's BJJ/MMA it's OK if the student is required to buy in-house branded training gear at 10 times the going rate for comparable equipment?

I can just see it now, "Hi, I'm 4th Stripe Decided Cammo Belt in Reliks Style BJJ." Color me skeptical.