PDA

View Full Version : Rapist dies after taser used on him.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

IamBaytor
2/07/2008 9:18am,
Waiting on tox report to determine the CoD. Either way, I'm not going to cry that he's gone.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080205/NEWS/802050378/1001/NEWS

A 50-year-old man suspected of walking into a woman's home and trying to rape her died after struggling with Rankin County deputies who used a Taser while trying to arrest him.

The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol will investigate the case to determine whether the Taser was a factor in the death or whether the man died because of a medical condition, Rankin County Sheriff Ronnie Pennington said.

Tasers deliver an electric shock through wires attached to darts and are designed to temporarily disable a person.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name was being withheld, pending notification of next of kin.

Pennington said he did not think the man died from the Taser shock. He said he thinks MHP toxicology tests might reveal drugs or alcohol played a part in the death.

The deputies involved in the case have not been placed on administrative leave, Pennington said.

Just before 8 p.m. Sunday, the man walked into the home near Brandon. A woman in her 30s was home and her young child was asleep in another room, Pennington said.

"The front door was unlocked, and the individual walked in," he said. "She told him to leave, and then she tried to call the Sheriff's Department using her cell phone."

Pennington said the man either was wearing no pants or his pants were down, exposing himself.

"He knocked the phone out of her hand, grabbed her by the arm and tried to force her into a bedroom," Pennington said.

The woman escaped the man's clutches and ran into the room with her child then closed and locked the door behind her.

As the man tried to enter the room, the woman grabbed the child, climbed out a window and ran to a neighbor's house, where they called for help, Pennington said.

The woman sustained minor injuries as she tried to escape.

Pennington said the woman told deputies she knew the suspect and that he lived a couple of houses down from hers.

"The officers went to his house and asked him about it, and he said he didn't do it. Then he turned to go back inside the house. One of the officers tried to place him under arrest, and that's when he began fighting and resisting arrest," Pennington said.

Two deputies attempted to arrest the man. Then a third arrived.

Pennington said one of the deputies used the Taser after another deputy said he felt a tug on his gun

Don Gwinn
2/07/2008 9:49am,
If the story is true, even without the attempted disarming of a deputy (!) then they did the right thing. Too bad he died, but not terribly predictable that he died. Guy made a bad choice if he thought he would fight with the cops and not get tased, sprayed, piled or even shot.

partyboy
2/07/2008 9:49am,
heart attack anyone?

TM
2/07/2008 11:29am,
Big Yaaay! anyone?

BOXMAN
2/07/2008 11:34am,
If the story is true, even without the attempted disarming of a deputy (!) then they did the right thing. Too bad he died, but not terribly predictable that he died. Guy made a bad choice if he thought he would fight with the cops and not get tased, sprayed, piled or even shot.

Too bad he died? Are you serious? One less on the street!

ignatzami
2/07/2008 11:51am,
I love the first comment:

Time to phaze out the tazer. Too many people get killed. I realize what a great tool it is for cops , but you could say the same about asbestos and the fire department, or euthanasia and the healthcare industry-- 78 years (936 months) and that's it for healthcare. We must look to the common good and not the expediant. Three strike laws have a place, but so does common sense and circumstance. We should have a strong defense, but balanced on the threat, if there even is a military threat. Shouldn't our schools and colleges be the best in the world if we are to maintain our standard of living? It is all part of "our" society, the police will have to learn other, less lethal methods to subdue suspects. Cornering and starving them out has proved a successful method from ancient times. If you have him trapped, wait him out. Use dogs, pepper spray, martial arts, bring his mother to the scene, get him a lawyer... but for society's sake don't kill him.

That and the following comment about a lawsuit costing taxpayer dollars... police almost never loose lawsuits, and they have insurance to boot. How are people this stupid? The tazer is a less then lethal response, far better then SHOOTING THE BASTARD which is how they could have reacted. People are stupid.

IamBaytor
2/07/2008 12:07pm,
Yeah, I saw that that comment. I tried to make sense of it, but all I got was "YARRR!! I'M A HAMBEAST"

chemistry
2/07/2008 12:10pm,
The bad guy had the choice NOT to commit the crime. He failed to make the correct decision.

The bad guy had the choice to not use drugs. He failed to make the correct decision.

The bad guy had the choice to keep himself in better shape. He failed to make the correct decision.

Thus, the bad guy is the one who is solely at fault. It's not the fault of the police that he was so inept at making correct decisions, that a stunning shock killed him.

Oh well, good riddance to bad rubbish.

vigilus
2/07/2008 1:29pm,
The deputies involved in the case have not been placed on administrative leave, Pennington said.

Good.
I hate when you read that a cop uses a taser or something and gets put on leave because someone died. If he was following proceedure and didn't break from SOPs then why the **** would you put him on leave while the investigation goes on? So he's filled with self doubt or questions himself?

The first time I shot someone I was investigated. The interview took 15 minutes. My story matched up with the 3 other witnesses. They told me I acted within the rules of engagement, did nothing wrong and wished me luck. I wasn't made to feel like the bad guy, taken off work or singled out. I find that seems to happen when you read about a lot of these police officer taser/firearms shootings.

Mind you there is a divide between military and police. Cops are under a hell of a lot of pressure when they make that decision.

This asshole fought with the cops and is paying the price for it.

Roidie McDouchebag
2/07/2008 2:20pm,
Cops shouldn't be so incompetent in hand-to-hand, IMO.

new2bjj
2/07/2008 2:25pm,
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=22669288

Hey, tasers can be fun, if your all hopped up on crank or mountain dew....

Teh El Macho
2/07/2008 2:30pm,
Big Yaaay! anyone?The biggest one possible, with sound amplifiers if possible.

IamBaytor
2/07/2008 2:31pm,
Cops shouldn't be so incompetent in hand-to-hand, IMO.

They shouldn't, but sadly far too many really not skilled fighters. If I recall, most cops have 1 or 2 moves that they use regularly. After the basic training / academy they are lucky to have empty hand training once a year, and only for a few hours at that. Another statistic, which is kinda old and I need to get updated, is that the majority of policemen miss around 80% of the time they shoot. Why is this?

1- A lot don't spend personal time/money training.
2- The dept. doesn't offer the training or opportunities enough because of budgetary concerns.

At least, thats my 2 cents.

Teh El Macho
2/07/2008 2:41pm,
They shouldn't, but sadly far too many really not skilled fighters. If I recall, most cops have 1 or 2 moves that they use regularly. After the basic training / academy they are lucky to have empty hand training once a year, and only for a few hours at that. Another statistic, which is kinda old and I need to get updated, is that the majority of policemen miss around 80% of the time they shoot. Why is this?

1- A lot don't spend personal time/money training.
2- The dept. doesn't offer the training or opportunities enough because of budgetary concerns.

At least, thats my 2 cents.Bingo. In the county where I live, cops are understaffed. Fortunately, this is a relatively crime-free area, but that was because the cops spent years, decades building up a force to take us where we are now...

... and then they got under-funded. Cops need to do a lot of things, mostly doing patrol work which takes most of their time. Without additional funding for hiring new officers, cops cannot free up time for additional training (on a regular basis) without reducing their times on the streets.

They could get additional MA training should they wish, but that'd be on their own time and out of their own pockets. That's not a viable proposition.

That's a very simplified picture of what's happening, but it pretty much captures what goes on.

BOXMAN
2/07/2008 3:07pm,
In this case they were competent. They killed a rapist.

Rock Ape
2/07/2008 3:13pm,
You can't beat a bit of non-lethal lethal force !

Taser 1 - Rapist twat 0

A round up of all the full time action later !