PDA

View Full Version : Simunition VS. Airsoft.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phoenix
2/04/2008 11:54pm,
Anyone here do any training with either (or both) of these systems?

I've done force on force scenario training with both of these types of tools. Personally, I found that, other than the recoil and ability to do tactical reloads for the simunition conversion kit (I was using the GLOCK 17-T conversion kit), the realism was pretty much the same. For the Airsoft, we used GLOCK 23 airsoft markers.

A couple drawbacks I experienced with the airsoft that I didn't care for was the fact that after each scenario, it took some time to refill the CO2 reservoir in each pistol whch cut down on the amount of training scenarios we could go through. Also, the Airsoft pistol had a tendency to jam after a while, making it not exactly preferable for a long day of training and extended use.

On the upside for Airsoft, it's a hell of alot cheaper than Simunition, and unlike Simunition, it has no shelf life - meaning you can order in bulk and you won't have a limited amount of time to use it.

I dunno....anybody else work with any of this kinda stuff? Experiences? Comments?

rsobrien
2/05/2008 12:07am,
Errr... I play with airsoft guns as toys. There is no recoil, they sound like toys, and u load mags with 100+ capacity.

If you're training for your job, does cost matter to you? Isn't the PD paying for it. Simunition seems like a much more realistic system.

When you train, do you do so mounted in a bright red uniform.? That seems like more fun.

Yrkoon9
2/05/2008 12:13am,
Simunitions sucks balls. SUCKS BALLS. You have to put a special bolt in your weapon. And the sims always get stuck in your barrell. Last time we went out to shoot each other in the face I ended up with over 10 of them stuck in there.

Paintballs all the way. No - they are not as realistic. But they are way more fun and less hassle. **** airsoft.

vigilus
2/05/2008 12:14am,
Airsofters :)

IamBaytor
2/05/2008 10:04am,
I had good experience with airsoft.

<-- former LEO

CannibalCrowley
2/05/2008 10:50am,
I like the theory of simmunitions; but in practice I've found them to be lacking. The sim M16 mags suck horribly and accuracy seems to be random.

partyboy
2/05/2008 10:57am,
It really depends on the type/brand of airsoft pistol you buy. I still keep my airsoft glock next to my bed in case I want a non-lethal deterrent for someone (it looks real enough). Or sometimes I get bored and go shoot squirrels/neighbors from my balcony.

As for tactical realism... not even close.

SFGOON
2/05/2008 1:10pm,
Get a real weapon - nothings says pants shitting terror like drawing down on an intruder with an empty weapon. I've done it, and probably a few of these guys remember that thread.

Real men train with real guns and shrug off the wounds, in my opinion. But if your higher ups won't let you be a real man, then simmunition is the way to go if you can afford it.

partyboy
2/05/2008 1:14pm,
Get a real weapon - nothings says pants shitting terror like drawing down on an intruder with an empty weapon. I've done it, and probably a few of these guys remember that thread.

I keep the real beretta in the closet

vigilus
2/05/2008 2:03pm,
A lot of guys are hard on airsofters. Jack them up for larping etc.. Doesn't bug me either way. I DO however get a kick when paintballers or airsofters start trying to talk tactics to LEO and military types.

SFGOON
2/05/2008 3:08pm,
A kick - that's what I was thinking. Right in the groin.

Matt W.
2/05/2008 3:21pm,
I've done simunitions training and it was fantastic. Felt very real. You can't beat the fact that it's a real gun, real mag, real shells. The only thing fake is the bullets which are the paint pellets. I haven't played with airsoft, but I can't imagine a plastic air pistol offering even close to the same level of realism. And, BTW, we experienced none of the problems Yrkoon noted in a whole day of shooting with over 20 people and 6 instructors.

Rock Ape
2/05/2008 4:38pm,
If the RAF Regiment presented me with either of the training packages you guys are discussing, and expected me to take them seriously, I'd piss myself laughing in the first instance, then promptly resign.

A few years ago, there was a large scale military exercise run in Europe, we were told there wasn't enough blank ammunition allocated to cover the entire Ex thus when we'd spent all our brass, we'd be expected to shout "Bang bang" (I kid you not)

We told the ruperts (officers) briefing us to this effect... and I quote the WO speaking on our collective parts.... to "**** off" - Not that that has any direct bearing on the subject of the thread.

Sorry

Dave

Matt W.
2/05/2008 4:50pm,
If the RAF Regiment presented me with either of the training packages you guys are discussing, and expected me to take them seriously, I'd piss myself laughing in the first instance, then promptly resign.

This another zippered boots issue with you, man? Seems like a bit of unsupported "We train the REAL WAY (tm)... with BLANKS!" hoo-hah, if you know what I mean. Any, you know, _reasons_ why you think sim training is bad?

SFGOON
2/05/2008 4:58pm,
"Bang bang" is nothing new. I promise you that some logistics officer had his career ruined over that one.

Rock Ape
2/05/2008 6:16pm,
This another zippered boots issue with you, man? Seems like a bit of unsupported "We train the REAL WAY (tm)... with BLANKS!" hoo-hah, if you know what I mean. Any, you know, _reasons_ why you think sim training is bad?
LARPER ;p