PDA

View Full Version : Survival kits

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

fishcop
2/01/2008 8:12pm,
I finally got my butt in gear and have started buying items for a survival kit. The idea was to have a complete "bug out bag" that would sit quietly in the closet untill I needed it. Something I could grab and know I had essentials for myself and the wife in the event of an emergency (Natural or man-made). I have done some reading and found some good ideas for kit essentials and then thought some people here could add to it.

The list

water
food (rations and dehydrated types)
fire makers
knives
axe
crowbar
compass
emergency radio
multi-tool
ammo
firearms
first aid kit
resirators
flashlight and glowsticks
batteries
warm clothes
gloves
boots
binoculars
twine
space blankets
tarps
water filters and chemical purifyers
toiletries and drugs

This is by no means a comprehensive list

Any items I should include?

Some of you military guys must have special items you carry.

Lets get a discussion going.

Dade_Murphy
2/01/2008 8:35pm,
If you're gonna think you're gonna need all that stuff... don't forget a Bible. I think you'de otherwise be ready for anything from Canadian civil revolt to a massive zombie epidemic.

ty5
2/01/2008 9:09pm,
More food than anything else I would say is the best thing. Say if tommorw the flu pandemic starts, and a few week later the whole of western civilisation collapses, which means no petrol which then means no food and millons facing starvation becuase no one has any degree of indepndent food prodution anymore.

The chicks will go for the guy with food.

And a baseball bat with nails through it, for the zombies.

vigilus
2/01/2008 9:22pm,
Survival kits can get retarded huge
Reminds me I should write a good one up for myself. Here's some random items that I would probably pick and choose from

Food and water split between food/water carried on person and food/water in vehicle

GPS - Garmin Vista CX
8-12x aa batts
SureFire liht with 8x L123 batts
blowout kit - 2x Field Dressing, 2x Latex gloves, 1 x Tourniquette, QuikClot, antiseptic and bandaids
2L camelback - w/ Ziplocs and trash bags in sleeve
Leather gloves and oakley glasses
Chemlights
Knife - Tom Brown tracker
MNVG
6 AA batteries 4 L123 Batteries
Spare boot laces
550 cord
Guntape
Spare Socks
Cash & Change
Credit Card
Phone Card
Butane lighters (1 in pocket, 1 in pouch)*
Microlight
Gerber multi-tool
Silva Compass and map
Whistle
Mini Signal Mirror
Radio
Hacksaw Blade wrapped in 100 mph tape
Bug Juice
Survival mosquito headnet
Signal mirror
MRE Spoon with electrical tape wrap 1'
Water Purification Tabs
Lickies and Chewies
Toothbrush
Space Blanket
Toilet paper
Strobe
Mini-Binos
Fleece Toque
goretex rainsuit

Jadonblade
2/01/2008 9:35pm,
Surely a machete is a must have?

Yrkoon9
2/01/2008 10:22pm,
I can't even go into what all I have. It's really sad. I'll just say that my emergency medical bag rivals some ambulances. That doesn't count the small arsenal of firearms, ammunition, and boxes of MRE's I have. All the misc military gear and **** I have is sick.

But all the gear in the world won't make up for common sense and audacity.

Kubili
2/02/2008 12:16am,
The book 98.6 degrees keeping your ass alive, is a very good book. Cody Lundlin sp? goes into alot of infor on building a good kit and dual use gadgets. If the **** goes to the fan there is plenty of stuff lying around. All you need is that brain up on top and a good attitude. I also like my shotgun too.

Rock Ape
2/02/2008 2:54am,
blowout kit - 2x Field Dressing, 2x Latex gloves, 1 x Tourniquette, QuikClot, antiseptic and bandaidsGrant, have you seen the new QuikClot pack? No more granules just an absorbent pad. Much better.

--Dave

socratic
2/02/2008 3:08am,
No medical supply collection is complete without gauze. The usefulness of that stuff is amazing. Hell, antiseptic and gauze is what fixed up the blood-squirting puncture wound I got from my bike. The stuff is awesome.

Frank White
2/02/2008 3:16am,
More food than anything else I would say is the best thing. Say if tommorw the flu pandemic starts, and a few week later the whole of western civilisation collapses, which means no petrol which then means no food and millons facing starvation becuase no one has any degree of indepndent food prodution anymore.

The chicks will go for the guy with food.

And a baseball bat with nails through it, for the zombies.

Food and water. Does anyone know what kind of food to stock up on?

vigilus
2/02/2008 4:36am,
Grant, have you seen the new QuikClot pack? No more granules just an absorbent pad. Much better.

--Dave

Hey Dave,

We just did a bunch of first aid training and they were telling us they use sponge pads now. Never seen it though, do you just cram the spone into the wound and wait for it to clot or is the sponge just the applicator and the gel on/inside the sponge what does the work?

] Food and water. Does anyone know what kind of food to stock up on?
Personal preference I'd say but a big deciding factor is whether you are vehicle or foot born.
Canned and wet food (boil in a bag rations) are great but also heavy and take a lot of room.

Dehydrated food packs away better but you're lacking on growlie goodness.
I'm a big fan of Granola/energy bars beef jerky and cup a soup.

Rock Ape
2/02/2008 4:57am,
Yeh you just whack the pack in with other gauze padding if required and wait, normally no more that 2-3 minutes and its fully clotted.

Frank White
2/02/2008 5:31am,
Lets say you wanted to stock a few boxes of food for the house, and forget about them. Do canned foods last long? Is there military surplus stuff available online?

hungryjoe
2/02/2008 5:40am,
Consider some of the afore menitoned items in extra quantities for barter.

You can run through food fairly quick.

Not a bad idea to also learn some survival techniques to go with the bug out bag. How to trap, what plants are edible, build a shelter, etc. Yeah - it used to be a hobby.

edit. Good knives are a must and stones to keep them sharp. A good single cut file will sharpen an ax and machete.

Regarding the food - dehydrated will last longer and is lighter/easier to store. Also more expensive. You can check online or go to the local surplus store.

Rock Ape
2/02/2008 6:18am,
Anyone mentioned a generator for electricity including fuel reserves ?

I'm not sure if you guys over the pond keep such things as a matter of course anyway, here in the UK it's quite unusual however; having one obviously allows you to provide yourself with limited amounts of electricty.

hungryjoe
2/02/2008 6:26am,
There are a lot of generators in the rural areas. We had a run on them during the ice storm of last month when about 300,000 were without power.

I have a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery for the trolling motor used for my canoe. I sold the canoe and trolling motor - still have the solar panel.

An AC power inverter would be nice to use from the auto (if you still have gas).