PDA

View Full Version : Pimpin my TMAs

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
1/27/2008 11:17am,
Hello everybody,

Everywhere I read on BS it's MMA vs TMA in saying who's got the best MA.
I think this is black-white thinking. It can also be done different:

I train in Hapkido, German Ju-Jutsu and MT, each are TMAs with there weaknesses....
so I cross train with other TMAs and MMAs to inprove my two basic styles which are
Hapkido en Ju-Jutsu.

For example: MT becomes a part in HKD and JJ.
training Gouquan (dog style kung-fu) as add-on for the HKD groundfight.
training BJJ as add-on for the JJ groundfight.

AND most important training with MMA practicers to see whitch of my
techniques of HKD and JJ work to use in a realistic fight.

I think becoming a good fighter has got more to do with the critical mindset of an individual
than by blind following the teachings of your TMA master/ MMA instructor.

But this are just my two cents.

greetz

Zendokan

Rivington
1/27/2008 11:22am,
Okay, I'll bite. Who is teaching you dog-style kung-fu and who taught your teacher?

A URL would be great, even if in another language.

Thanks.

1/27/2008 11:41am,
Hello,

You don't have to bite ;-)

I said that i trained in dog kung-Fu to adhance my HKD groundfight, but maybe I haven't
explained me very well, I don't train the full DKF but it's more cross training to improve
my HKD, like I cross train in BJJ to improve my german JJ.

The one that teaches me occasionaly DFK techniques is:
http://www.chineseboxingclub.com/dutch/movies.html instructor: Geert Van Loo

The point that i wanted to say is that you have to be critical about your MAs
and always look outside your own MA world to grow.

greetz

Axelton
1/27/2008 11:51am,
GerMan jujutsu. Lol.

1/27/2008 11:59am,
Hé, I train in it, I ndidn't name it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Ju-Jutsu

greetz

Rivington
1/27/2008 12:01pm,
I said that i trained in dog kung-Fu to adhance my HKD groundfight, but maybe I haven't
explained me very well, I don't train the full DKF but it's more cross training to improve
my HKD,

I understand. I was very curious about Gouquan because it is a very rare style; indeed, many people believe that much of the system is lost. However, "throw yourself on the floor and kick" is an easy concept to "derive independently" if one is feeling kind, or "fake" if one is not. Your instructor doesn't seem too goofy (he's worked with Docherty, whose own taiji is good, even when taiji) so that's a good sign.

What DKF techniques do you practice?

1/27/2008 12:12pm,
Hello Rivington,

I don't know the chinese names, the teacher uses translations into dutch for it.
We start on hands and feet ( type of frog/dog position ) before we clinch and than
the techniques are called like (now i'm going to use a poor english translation):

for example : - claw to the opponents hind leg
- two pow front jump...

he also does this for his Tai Chi Chuan because he says that his students are there
to learn techniques and not the chinese language.

The only thing I really know is that a good part of the techniques are quiet realistic
and have a other philososical approich than BJJ.
But in a fight I use everything I know combined to gain advantage.

Kid Miracleman
1/27/2008 12:12pm,
Cool... I didn't know there were two different kinds of GJJ!

DHNK
1/27/2008 4:26pm,
Upon hearing German Ju Jitsu, immediate thoughts of straight handed upward blocks and Swastika submissions come to mind. Thought I'd share.

Virus
1/27/2008 4:50pm,
Stick to learning the most successful techniques in a concentrated form, not dilute within systems full stuff that isn't retainable or reliable. Train those techniques under the people that know their application best, with competition experience and experience coaching successful athletes.

Don't bother with hapkido, dog-style kung fu and german jujitsu (whatever that is). They suck and don't have the experience in actual application that the combat athletic arts do.

Domite
1/27/2008 5:15pm,
GerMan jujutsu. Lol.

More like Jew jitsu! Am I right?

Purpleskunk
1/27/2008 11:32pm,
did helio go to germany or something?

1/28/2008 3:32am,
A lot of MMA here in Belgium train GeJJ because their are only a few acknowledged BJJ clubs.

In Belgium dojos and MA clubs get regurlary controls by the goverment. This is here because all sport and MA clubs get some state sponsering and to stop the McDojo wildgrow

Ofcourse the system is not perfect and there can only be compared to the level of standards of each federation. (TKD clubs have to pass the standard of the ITF, etc...) so
it doesn't test the effectiveness but it controls "masters" to open a McDojo.

Lebell
1/28/2008 9:46am,
Zendokan, im dutch and im planning to organise a dutch TD for bullshido members in Holland, you can drop by and we'll see how your standupgame works.
Ive done traditional jj for years and also kyokushin and things like MT and san da, the past couple of years im only training in grappling/mma.
So you're welcome to come and train with us.
There is a dutch TD thread in the Throwdowns section, just subscribe to it and im sure i can come up with a date for that whole thing somewhere in april may.

for comic relief, bring your master with you, i'd LOVE to workout with him.

1/28/2008 4:10pm,
Hello Lebell,

I'm going decline friendly on your offer to join the TD, maybe

partyboy
1/28/2008 4:16pm,
pity.