PDA

View Full Version : Looking in to mma school. . .

Exiledsoul
1/26/2008 2:29pm,
So im looking in to this school www.combinedmartialscience.com (http://www.combinedmartialscience.com) Im new to all this so any help would be grate. Im just dont want to waist my time if the school ends up being some mcdojo. If anyeon knows anything about this school or any schools in the Upland, Pomona, Rancho cucamonga CA area that they would recommend that would be cool to.

Tanhalen21
1/26/2008 2:57pm,
Yeah, just reading the home page of that site it seems a bit mcdojoish. I don't know anything about the place, but when these are the focuses:
#
Build Self Confidence
#
Develop Respect for others
#
Increase self-esteem
#
Increase Concentration

And they say this: "An experienced black-belt martial artist teaches classes in a non-aggressive manner. A large portion of our program is devoted to the mental disciplines."

It seems a little fishy

Exiledsoul
1/26/2008 3:10pm,
Ya I was some what thinking the same thing. But then again I see that more for the kid class they have. I could see them puting that up there for the parents to fill like there kids arnt going to get hurt and fill like there going to get more then fighting skills out of it.

Tanhalen21
1/26/2008 3:21pm,
Also, it weirds me out a little that they have MMA classes and "JuJitsu" classes (not necessarily BJJ), and kickboxing classes (not necessarily muay thai).

sempaiman
1/26/2008 3:55pm,
I always get leary of the multiple blackbelts that an instructor has. To earn 7th and 4th degree black in seemingly opposite martial arts in 30years is a stretch. Than tack on a few other lower black belts also, what does he train 24hrs a day...........

Exiledsoul
1/26/2008 4:16pm,
Thanks for all your input. Its just hard to find a good place to train. I fill like every place I go to is like this. So if anyone knows a place close to Upland CA at all that would be cool.

Purpleskunk
1/26/2008 4:56pm,
PONOMA? is that near the gracie place? and i dont like how that website doesnt openly talk about each specific instructors ...

Happy Panda
1/26/2008 6:11pm,
Don't make your decision based on the website alone, you need to actually visit the place. The place where I train back home has a site that looks a lot worse than the one you posted, but the training is very solid and they've got plenty of amateur fighters.

The schedule on the site looks fine, and the stuff in the FAQ looks promising. It looks to me like they cater to children during the day and do the real training in the evening. Check it out in person, it's the only way to know.

PasleyPMT
1/26/2008 10:56pm,
It's understandable to feel that a gym in a McDojo if they teach kids' classes.

Especially at daytime...then it's like a daycare with 4 oz. gloves.

JP
1/26/2008 11:00pm,
It says they compete.

Omega Supreme
1/26/2008 11:04pm,
Don't make your decision based on the website alone, you need to actually visit the place. The place where I train back home has a site that looks a lot worse than the one you posted, but the training is very solid and they've got plenty of amateur fighters.

The schedule on the site looks fine, and the stuff in the FAQ looks promising. It looks to me like they cater to children during the day and do the real training in the evening. Check it out in person, it's the only way to know.

What he said.

I've actually heard of these guys but I don't remember if it was good or bad. I think it was good.