PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts for self defence = oxymoron?

Pages : [1] 2

Astra
11/06/2003 3:57pm,
Had an interesting idea the other day.. are Martial Arts that are meant for/or practiced for Self Defence actually quite impractical?

Unless we live in a Ghetto where we have to fight our way uphill every day to work, it seems to be so:

a)You will probably get as injured during your MA career as you would on the street with no formal training, if not more.

b)You will probably pay more for the MA classes then what will be ripped off/stolen.

c)In the event you are attacked with a knife/gun/a group, you're pretty much screwed anyway.

Discuss.

Ronin
11/06/2003 4:11pm,
what is your point? not to do it? or realise how useless it is in your opinion?

Beavis
11/06/2003 4:53pm,
I think his point is that there is no point.

It's pointless to try to point to any advantages.

Besides, it's rude to point.

Dochter
11/06/2003 4:55pm,
point taken.

Sorry someone had to do it, and you know he was expecting it.

Mr. Mantis
11/06/2003 4:56pm,
*points*

Beavis
11/06/2003 5:24pm,
:D

Just pointing out the facts.

Astra
11/06/2003 6:10pm,
There is no spoo..int, just an observation - most people start MAs for self defence. Ironic.

/me pulls fishing rod out of the pool

phoebe
11/06/2003 7:00pm,
Hopefully you're not terrified for your life in your classes, or getting raped in them

Blad3
11/07/2003 3:04am,
most people start MAs for self defence. Ironic.

To an extent it is - but it's better to know it than not, if it "works" and/or gives you a sensible outlook on SD (i.e. to run etc etc.) The best reason for you to do an MA should be because you enjoy it IMO (i.e. you like sparring, competition, want to be Pro etc.) SD should be secondary.

Sudoraba
11/07/2003 3:11am,
That is very true, perhaps MA teacher are really really clever crooks. Instead of attacking you and taking your money, they convince you to let them attack you and give you their money. What you said today was probably the most clever thing I've ever read on a MA webpage.

Hell, if you could somehow spread this word you could possibly singlehandedly bring down the world of MAs from its core concept.

Hedgehogey
11/07/2003 3:48am,
Well I DO live in the ghetto.

SLJ
11/07/2003 4:29am,
The best thing you can do is learn to beat a single, unarmed opponent. It depends on each individual situation if you'll be able to use it or not. (weapons will over ride this most of the time, but be prepared for the consequenses of using them)

Other than that it's all about avoidance and running, but that has nothing to do with fighting, that's track and field.

Beavis
11/07/2003 6:57am,
If you wanted a serious answer, then first there needs to be a question or a concrete proposition.

I assume that the underlying proposition is as follows:

"Given the points raised by Astra above, this forum believes that, for the majority of the population, MA training is uneconomical."

Right. Now discuss.

Beavis
11/07/2003 7:08am,
Given the proposition above, I have a number of points to make.

1) I'd question the adequacy of the idea that a simple cost-benefit analysis is appropriate when taking MA training into account. The benefits of MA training are wider than those suggested above (ie. financial impact over the lifecycle, injuries sustained over the lifecycle).

2) Personally, I started martial arts because I was smaller and younger than the other kids in my class, and I was fed up of feeling threatened. MA training gave (and still gives) me a self of self-confidence that translates to a constant and not-insignificant stream of utility.

3) I am certain that the self-confidence granted to me by training reduces the probability of being mugged. It certainly increases the likelihood of my being able to fight back effectively. Given the high incidence of mostly unarmed fights in my residential area (not many guns around), I dispute that fact that I'd be "screwed anyway".

4) I enjoy the classes I do.

5) MA classes keep me in shape both directly and indirectly (through giving me a concrete motivation to work out in the weights room). As a result, I am more likely to score with hot chicks.

6) I like scoring with hot chicks, therefore this further increases the utility return of MA classes.

Conclusion (since I'm at work and really shouldn't be spending time here):

Astra's statements misrepresent the utility profile of MA classes. There are diverse gains and, according to my personal cost-benefit analysis, I think I can objectively justify the costs.

Beavis
11/07/2003 7:11am,
Final comment:

For most people, MA/self-defense training is a classic case of being risk-averse.

It's like insurance.

You pay a bit now, consistently, through your life. You may never need to use it, and you're happy with that situation. However, if the worst DID happen, at least you have a fall-back.

Oh, and it looks cool and chicks dig it.

Kenshin
11/07/2003 7:26am,
This what im trying to fathom:

We're better off getting beaten up and robbed, because we'd spend way more than what was robbed in order to stop it from happening?

Screw that.