PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I was over-reacting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ke?poFist
1/22/2008 12:23am,
Ya know, I was getting to the point where I was beginning to doubt the cause of fighting Bullshido...that perhaps the accusations of it's presence within martial arts is blown out of proportion, and that I was becoming way too alarmist...but then I get a conversation like the one I got today...

Was talking to a friend at his job about the BJ Penn fight. Good times, but then this co-worker of his, some kid about 18-20yrs old I'd guestimate walks over to join the conversation...

He goes, "oh you're talking about that UFC stuff?
Friend: Yup, did ya catch the fights last night?
Guy: Oh, no....who was fighting?
Friend: BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson was the title fight of the night
Guy: *confused look on his face* Oh...yeah...I think I know him. He's the guy with the tattoo's on his back right?
Me: No.....
Guy: Oh...I must be thinking of someone else
Me: Maybe, anyway *speaking to my friend now* I can't wait till I can get back into training...
Guy: *interjects* oh you train?
Me: Yeah, at Matt's place right down the road
Guy: Oh you train there! That's cool. Yeah I train at an MMA gym down a few miles off 110
Me: What?? 110? There's an MMA gym?
Guy: Oh yeah, I've been training at >insert name of local JJJ school< for about 3 years. It's good stuff. It's a little different than the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu because we add in punching and kicking like in MMA, and we're more focused on...like...killing the guy real quick. *laughs*
Me: Yeah, can't waste any time now can you....
Guy: Yeah, we train more for the street self defense, so we focus on like, finishing the fight real quick, killing the guy.
Me: Ya don't say... Well I gotta go.

Yes I know I should have said more, but I was too dumbfounded at the moment, and didn't want to start slinging out insults at my friends co-worker. Once I get a better grasp of what I really want to say and accomplish, I'll talk to him again about it. Perhaps invite him to a throwdown.

Kid Miracleman
1/22/2008 12:35am,
God... I remember when I was that dumb. Same age, too.

Please take him to a throwdown as soon as possible.

Boyd
1/22/2008 1:16am,
So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

Why can't anyone else do this?

DAYoung
1/22/2008 1:20am,

Because holding pads and talking is fucking hard.

As if it didn't take you years to work up to it.

You don't just jump straight into Advanced Pad-Holding and Discussion.

DAYoung
1/22/2008 1:55am,
But seriously, why not say something immediately? it's not like you have to condemn him on the sport. You can ask all sorts of questions, draw out his opinions and habits, and then introduce challenges (i.e. the Socratic approach).

And I'm also surprised you were 'dumfounded'. These ideas are very common, and you've heard them often enough. (I mean, you post on MAP, don't you?)

A TROO WARYOR WOODNT HAVE BEAN SUPRISED A TROO WARYOR WOODVE EKSPECTED THIS AN COUNTRED IT WITH TRUE SKILLZ.

Ke?poFist
1/22/2008 1:58am,
So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

I'm too nice. It takes a bit of ego on their part, to stoke the fire within me, to get me to get blunt with them.

Ke?poFist
1/22/2008 1:59am,
But seriously, why not say something immediately? it's not like you have to condemn him on the sport. You can ask all sorts of questions, draw out his opinions and habits, and then introduce challenges (i.e. the Socratic approach).

And I'm also surprised you were 'dumfounded'. These ideas are very common, and you've heard them often enough. (I mean, you post on MAP, don't you?)

A TROO WARYOR WOODNT HAVE BEAN SUPRISED A TROO WARYOR WOODVE EKSPECTED THIS AN COUNTRED IT WITH TRUE SKILLZ.

I train too much with people with common sense. I forgot how dangerous it can be on the street, where any LARPer can blow your mind!

DAYoung
1/22/2008 2:01am,
I train too much with people with common sense. I forgot how dangerous it can be on the street, where any LARPer can blow your mind!

Exactly.

In training to fight properly, you're learning very bad debating habits.

YOU'RE IN A CULT, DUDE - YOU NEED TO SPLIT TO HOMBU QUICK SMART, AND ENCOUNTER TRUE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS.

Ke?poFist
1/22/2008 2:10am,
Exactly.

In training to fight properly, you're learning very bad debating habits.

YOU'RE IN A CULT, DUDE - YOU NEED TO SPLIT TO HOMBU QUICK SMART, AND ENCOUNTER TRUE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS.

I fucking hate you

Purpleskunk
1/22/2008 2:58am,

shoulda took off the pads threw them on the ground and walked away. the cool way.

Anna Kovacs
1/22/2008 3:00am,
I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.

Partezan
1/22/2008 3:01am,
It's strange how the spirirt of BJJ is truly what martial arts is about, the weaker smaller opponent defeating the larger one by outsmarting him and doing it with restricted or minimal harm to the opponent yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial art, while people who train in "holistic" arts like Aikido and JJ often talk about killing people and riping off and breaking their limbs in a fight

Ke?poFist
1/22/2008 3:27am,
I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.

Ugh...yeah, well my circle of martial arts discussion is mostly people who train in like-minded fashion, or people who don't train but love to watch MMA so they at least have a grasp of what a fight actually looks like.

The "I can't fight you unless I can rip your throat out" mentality is something I haven't been exposed to in person in quite some time, and it hit me like a sack of bricks. I'm just standing there like...."is this guy trolling me? Wait...no....this isn't the internet."

DAYoung
1/22/2008 4:24am,
I hate fucking you

Is it the Heidegger chaps?

Lu Tze
1/22/2008 4:29am,
yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial artIt's because certain people used to encourage their students to troll Rio for people to beat up.

sochin101
1/22/2008 5:20am,
Boyd's approach is the correct one.
I employed it when my young nephew showed me the knife defence technique he'd learned at karate.
It was the perfect counter to the Anthony Perkins EE EE EE EE Psycho downward stab/slash: the X block. The X block transitioned (straight outta kata) to a wrist control (where you slide the blade between your own wrists) and then you over-balance your opponent by pulling the knife towards your own midsection. Stabby stabby.

After my nephew told me this, I explained to him that if that ever really happened, he should forget about silly moves and just run.

I also told him that if he tried that move, he'd get injured, and when/if he recovered from the cut wrists and abdominal injuries, I'd kick his arse for good measure.

Tough love.

He's quit karate and is now doing gymnastics, which I feel will be equally effective as his kata-based self defence.