PDA

View Full Version : Dojo's Change?

Pages : [1] 2

skigod
1/21/2008 6:41pm,
I have been going to a dojo for over 14 years and have been noticing a lot of changes after receiving my black betl I noticed the school breaking more and more away from their traditional bushido roots towards MMA. it is now my 14th year there and they have gone in the direction of MMA. I was wondering if anyone else has been through a similar sitiuation. Because in my opinion if a Dojo was set up a certain way and was producing loyal studetns it shouldn't change.

Zimmer
1/21/2008 6:59pm,
That would suck... I feel for you Karate brother.

Ian G.R.
1/21/2008 7:02pm,
What do you mean "breaking more and more away from their traditional bushido roots towards MMA."?

Jadonblade
1/21/2008 7:04pm,
Even though the students may be loyal, of what quality are they?. Typically even though it may not look like it, change is made because something needs to be improved.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/21/2008 7:07pm,
I've seen this with TMA schools that are trying to compete with the MMA schools, which in my opinion is a terrible idea. Why the hell would anyone go to a Karate school to learn anything but Karate? Your school is probably just trying to retain students.

skigod
1/21/2008 7:10pm,
The problem is that i have seen them lose students with these changes. they retained more in when they were strictly bushido and now all i see are maybe 10 new students and 20 studnets who ahve left and this is just the past 3 years before that it was more.

skigod
1/21/2008 7:12pm,
breaking away i mean losing their sense of tradition of the art. why would an instructor who calls themselve a Shihan move toward MMA. I mean its hard trying to cope with the fact that MMA is really taking over dojos who can't compete with them.

Ian G.R.
1/21/2008 7:13pm,
So it's strictly an image change?

No training/methodology changes?

skigod
1/21/2008 7:15pm,
No. They changed the kata's years ago from the traditional ones. but i understood that in order to compete with todays schools. but instead of having the original karate classes and kumite classes they have combined all for specifically MMA.

Ian G.R.
1/21/2008 7:21pm,
Look changes methodologies is not necesarily a bad thing. However, if your main complaint is about the degradation in traditional values of karate, you will find an odd kind of support from here.

Of course, support will only be given if your school isn't the 'traditional' point-sparring, kata-focused Karate that everyone is so justified being angry about.

P.S. What 'kind' of karate do you do?

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/21/2008 7:22pm,
This place will probably go through a slow, downward spiral until they switch back to the way they were (before it's too late) or they'll go out of business. I would find a new place to train and mention your concerns on the way out.

skigod
1/21/2008 7:30pm,
ian. my shihan was very traditional and studied many martial arts eventually reaching either 7th or 8th dan and there was no higher to go. but it was Bushido Based but he felt it was too focused on straight forward combat and changed it to include angles and mixed it with judo, jujitsu, akido, with the traditional bushido values.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/21/2008 7:38pm,
It was "too focused on straight forward combat"? You'll probably catch some **** for that.

Ian G.R.
1/21/2008 7:39pm,
You know those Bushido values are most likely tagged on sometime in the early 20th century?

Anyways the anthem here is: "as long as they do training with aliveness and compete, they'll be ok"

Philosophical, spiritual etc.- afterthoughts are a non-issue.

Oh and welcome to Bullshido, this place is going to crush your soul now (no, I'm not really kidding)

Locu5
1/21/2008 7:42pm,
So what kinds of specific changes are being made that you don't like?

cuatro76
1/21/2008 7:52pm,
I'd rather see a dojo shift toward MMA than starting a "little dragons club" and having long-term contracts. The biggest problem that I can see is that your instructor has no MMA/combat sport background (or does he?). If that's the case and he's teaching MMA without knowing anything about it, he's going to be exposed as a fraud sooner or later.

If you want to keep your TMA pure, then start a new dojo somewhere with the other TMA purists from your school. Nothing wrong with doing that.

Also what do people mean when they say "Bushido based?" It just sounds like a marketing term for used by TMA samurai-want-to-be's. Please drop the Oriental mysticism – it's not helping any of us in the MA's. There are no more Samurai, just hobby-preservationists.

Sorry if that came off as Trolling.