PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Jujitsu

rolling_stone
1/11/2008 9:38am,
Has anyone heard of freestyle jujistsu? I'm looking to start training in MA, and want to do something effective that I can maybe eventually compete in, but the choice isn't particularly large around here. This school is one of the nearer ones, but I've not heard of freestyle jujitsu before.
http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/darlington_vt.html
The other choice is this school http://www.spennymoorkarate.co.uk or boxing.

Cheers for your help.

GhostOfKimura
1/11/2008 9:39am,
BULL RUSH ON rolling_stone!!!

leec123
1/12/2008 10:39am,
Has anyone heard of freestyle jujistsu? I'm looking to start training in MA, and want to do something effective that I can maybe eventually compete in, but the choice isn't particularly large around here. This school is one of the nearer ones, but I've not heard of freestyle jujitsu before.
http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/darlington_vt.html
The other choice is this school http://www.spennymoorkarate.co.uk or boxing.

Cheers for your help.

hey rolling stone

you will probably(read hopefully) find that the freestyle JJ is very similar to traditional Japanese stand up JJ, but might have been stripped back to get rid of a lot of the more unrealistic techniques. They may also offer less in the way of weapons work than a traditional club. I would expect the striking to be either Karate or Muay Thai based then into throws and locks, then groundwork. They may also be more geared towards competing than a traditional club

all i can suggest is go down to both clubs and have a look. Pay attention to how stuff is taught, see if the students are enjoying it, make sure the instructors arent just feeding their egos. Have a lesson at each place but dont be bullied into signing up there and then.

despite what a lot of people say, teh only person that can make the decision is you. at the end of the day, which do you want to do and do you enjoy it

ooops. that last one will probably get me a reaming haha

let us know how you get on

Lu Tze
1/12/2008 11:12am,
If a place is listed on SFUK then it's likely they'll lean heavily towards MMA or submission grappling rather than more traditional jujitsu (they say they do vale tudo).

The karate will probably be the most "traditional" of your choices (bowing, using Japanese names, kata etc.). Be aware that kyokushin is hardcore karate though, so the training will be very very tough conditioning wise. They also won't be shy of hitting each other (or you), hard (this is good).

Boxing is also tough conditioning wise. Don't think that it's only good for learning punching (although you'll learn that very well), a lot of the footwork and defences are excellent (as long as you make yourself aware of what will and won't get you floored in MMA).

You say you have few choices, but you can't go wrong with any of them really. Depends what you want to learn (kyokushin and boxing will have no grappling).

Welcome to Bullshido, good luck with your training.

rolling_stone
1/12/2008 12:23pm,
Cheers for that guys, I would like to learn grappling skills as they are obviously so well proven. The Kyokushin does have one night a week of MMA, and I wonder if being tall I might be better off with a striking art as the core. That said, I do a lot of weight lifting which I would have thought lends itself more to grappling. Like you said I'll go and have a look at both next week.

leec123
1/12/2008 12:53pm,
Cheers for that guys, I would like to learn grappling skills as they are obviously so well proven. The Kyokushin does have one night a week of MMA, and I wonder if being tall I might be better off with a striking art as the core. That said, I do a lot of weight lifting which I would have thought lends itself more to grappling. Like you said I'll go and have a look at both next week.

your height and weight lifting shouldnt have too much bearing on your MA, although having a bit of both is certainly no bad thing. I have trained with guys who were complete gym freaks, massive pecs and arms. however on the floor they were slow and the huge muscles meant they sort of got in the way of themselves, if that makes sense?

you will probably find that the way you use your body is different too. You will find out the first time you do some serious groundwork with someone who can just let you exhaust yourself.

keep everyone posted