PDA

View Full Version : judo or wrestling?

Corza
1/09/2008 12:59pm,
Hi everyone,

I have been doing BJJ for a littlle while but am wanting to supplement it with some standing grappling because we all know BJJ is a little limited in that department, the throws and takedowns that are used are from judo or wrestling. What do you guys suggest would be a better option, I know both would be ideal but if you had to pick one which would it be and why?

Goju - Joe
1/09/2008 1:04pm,
Do you co mostly gi or no gi BJJ?

jnp
1/09/2008 1:12pm,
This thread belongs in Gitmo. DHS is for specific questions about grappling technique or strategy.

How old are you? The reason I ask is because there aren't many wrestling programs for adults, but you can always take Judo regardless of your age. If you're of high school age, take wrestling. If you're older, take Judo.

mike321
1/09/2008 1:38pm,
Solid advice from JNP. I am a big advocate of taking free high school wrestling. In either case, you will eventually need to study gi and no-gi for standing grappling. Many judo/jujitsu schools train both nowadays. I started some stand up last night with gi and was very surprised when a lot of my technique was jammed by a grab on my gi.

conceited
1/09/2008 1:56pm,
At the risk of being flamed, wrestling if you can get it. Judo is great, don't get me wrong but I think some of it will be too similar to your BJJ. It'll be a different approach and garner a better more well-rounded technique.

ViciousFlamingo
1/09/2008 2:08pm,
What JNP said. Good wrestling training is hard to find, judo is pretty easy to find.

Longhorn
1/09/2008 2:43pm,
need more info about your situation, but if you can get wrestling for now, do that. like most people said, not always available.

Corza
1/09/2008 4:38pm,
Thanx for your reply's, I was very vague with my post. I am 27, living in london, done 6 months of BJJ. There is a acadamy that dose mma close to me and they have shoot wrestling, tried some judo but found it hard to pull off throws during randori and just ended up doing double legs or picking them up by the waist and throwing. Worked against the lower grades, not so well against the BB's. I am not sure, I guess wrestling feels more natural to me.

HappyOldGuy
1/09/2008 4:45pm,
I would throw it back to Soju Joes question. Gi or No Gi. You will get something out of both either way, but to me that is the most important difference.

Corza
1/09/2008 6:48pm,
AT BJJ it is mostly gi training, the wrestling just seems more natural to me. The thing i find is because I am a smaller guy i found it hard to pull off any throws on the bigger and heavier guys at judo training.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
1/09/2008 7:02pm,
Thanx for your reply's, I was very vague with my post. I am 27, living in london, done 6 months of BJJ. There is a acadamy that dose mma close to me and they have shoot wrestling, tried some judo but found it hard to pull off throws during randori and just ended up doing double legs or picking them up by the waist and throwing. Worked against the lower grades, not so well against the BB's. I am not sure, I guess wrestling feels more natural to me.

Thats how everyone feels at first in Judo, it takes quite a while to start being able to pull off a lot of the throws, not sure if the same is true of wrestling or not.

benonmsn
1/09/2008 7:14pm,
You can see if USA wreestling has any clubs in your area to go train with. http://www.themat.com/

EDIT - i just saw you live in london, i dont think "USA" wrestling will help any

UpaLumpa
1/10/2008 10:56am,

Judo is wrestling.
Were you able to triangle people right out the gates in bjj? No.
Why then do you think you'll be throwing everyone right out the gates in judo?

mike321
1/10/2008 3:02pm,
Just to add to the the thread, I know you are in London, but for any lurkers out there beach wrestling may be a good way to learn wrestling stand-up. The matches look pretty cool and the technique seems solid. Also, I think the rule set and the venue will make for a nice stand-up based competition without learning some of the undesirable techniques (from MMA and BJJ perspective) that you need for international and amercan folkstyle (high school wrestling).

Here are some related links:

[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/wrestling/20
[URL="http://www.fila-wrestling.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=110&lang=en"]

and video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-333259058518176693&q=beach+wrestling&total=938&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Yojimbo1717
1/10/2008 3:11pm,
Where I train BJJ there are some Judo cross-trainers and Wrestling cross-trainers, and I can't tell you how frustrating the talented former-wrestlers are.

Judo is a very good base, but if you can do wrestling through school or through some sort of club for next to nothing, well, that would be great.