PDA

View Full Version : So where are the Europeans in MMA?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kekekeke
1/07/2008 10:58am,
There is a huge American, Brazilian, Japanese and some Russian presence in MMA, so what's going on with Europe? As far as I know there was one not so good British guy in PRIDE and Joachim Hansen. On the other hand Europe is huge in K1 events.

Naszir
1/07/2008 11:21am,
Russia is part of Europe. Holland has a number of fighters in MMA, Belarus, the Ukraine, France and Romania have several athletes that have competed in PRIDE and UFC events. Pavel Nastula is as European as they come. Add to that guys like Gordeau and Pardoel and you have a prett strong argument for Europeans being in mma. They may not have as high a presence as the US and Brazil but they certainly aren't unrepresented.

The Question
1/07/2008 11:22am,
There is a huge American, Brazilian, Japanese and some Russian presence in MMA, so what's going on with Europe? As far as I know there was one not so good British guy in PRIDE and Joachim Hansen. On the other hand Europe is huge in K1 events.

Two words: Cage Rage.

jnp
1/07/2008 11:24am,
Micheal Bisping. I'm sure there are more, but he came to mind when I read your thread title. There will be more as MMA's worldwide popularity continues to rise.

Jadonblade
1/07/2008 11:33am,
Bisping might do well now that his got the pressure of his first ufc loss out the way. And yeah Cage rage. Anderson silva turns up at random intervals and kills who ever appears to be challenging.

Mas
1/07/2008 12:15pm,
Filipovich is Croatian.

Nastula is Polish.

Andrei Arlovski is Belarusian.

Kongo is French

There are a ton of Russian fighters too, as was previously mentioned.

Bear1980
1/07/2008 12:26pm,
Russia is Generally considered to be at least partly in Europe. (Fedor Emelianenko)

Cro Cop (Croatia), Michael Bisping (England), Andrei Arlovski (Belarus)

and how about: Bas Rutten (Holland), Remy Bojansky (Holland), Le Banner (France), Ernesto Hoost (Holland)...etc..

kekekeke
1/07/2008 1:10pm,
I don't think Bonjasky and Hoost took part in MMA.

Naszir
1/07/2008 1:30pm,
But the Golden Glory team (Holland) does take part in mma. Add to that, Red Devil, Wolf's Lair and Russian Top Team and you'll see there are quite a few European mma fighters. Take a look on Sherdog or use a search engine and you'll find quite a few.

asimpson2006
1/07/2008 1:36pm,
I don't think Bonjasky and Hoost took part in MMA.

They were kickboxers. I think it will take time for Europe to really have a large fighter base in MMA. They are still ruling the kickboxing world, and it doesn't look like that will stop any time soon.

selfcritical
1/07/2008 2:28pm,
Micheal Bisping. I'm sure there are more, but he came to mind when I read your thread title. There will be more as MMA's worldwide popularity continues to rise.

Bas Rutten. Cro Cop. Martin Kampfman.

Generally the European guys from the continent have a much bigger kickboxing than grappling base.

nifoc
1/07/2008 4:24pm,
BJJ is becoming more and more popular in Europe, but we don't have a high school or college level wrestling league. I think this means that it will be a long tima before european fighters will have the same level of grappling base as the US. Sub-grappling is becoming more popular though, so hopefully something will come off that.

I guess russia is the exception.

Europe is doing quite well in Judo i've been told, som that might be a way in as well.

Staszek_Kapusta
1/07/2008 5:02pm,
About Judo in Europe - simply look, where Olympic gold medalists came from.
For example in Poland, Judo is in a lot of elementary schools. Amateur boxing was also quite popular (until recently they shut down boxing league in Poland), but not as much as during communist times. In professional boxing, we didn't have any worthy heavyweights after Golota:(.

feedback
1/07/2008 5:31pm,
Lee Murray is as british as they come, he just needs to get out of prison.

HonkyTonkMan
1/07/2008 5:56pm,
Bas Rutten. Cro Cop. Martin Kampfman.

Generally the European guys from the continent have a much bigger kickboxing than grappling base.

I wonder why that is? I had noticed the same thing early on and thought, meh maybe Im wrong.

Possibly due to the fact that the Gracies targeted the US for their attempts to spread the art?

Cuchulain
1/07/2008 6:14pm,
The lack of enthusiasm for sports and lack of wrestling in schools lets the UK down in the worldwide MMA scene. Also we don't have big bjj academies like those accross the pond, we have church halls, where if you are lucky enough to live with 50 miles of an instructor you can the attend the two, 1hour sessions a week.