PDA

View Full Version : Any notable Chinese fighters?

lolkick08
1/03/2008 1:15am,
K-1, Pride, UFC, and other organizations (shootboxing, etc) all contain some of the best fighters in most nationalities like Japan, Russia, USA, etc etc. But are there any significant Chinese MMAist/kickboxers? (serious question)

TKDBot
1/03/2008 1:16am,
BULL RUSH ON lolkick08!!!

NJM
1/03/2008 1:20am,
Cung Le?

lolkick08
1/03/2008 1:37am,
Cung Le is vietamese

NJM
1/03/2008 9:45am,
But he's a Chinese Kickboxer.

Ming Loyalist
1/03/2008 9:48am,
K-1, Pride, UFC, and other organizations (shootboxing, etc) all contain some of the best fighters in most nationalities like Japan, Russia, USA, etc etc. But are there any significant Chinese MMAist/kickboxers? (serious question)

yes. do some googling for "king of sanda"

MSphinx
1/03/2008 10:10am,
But he's a Chinese Kickboxer.

He does Vietnamese Kung Fu.

http://www.cungle.com/sv/html/website/WebSite_6/m_main.jsp?&page=biography.html&id=6

urasj
1/03/2008 3:01pm,
Liu Hailong !!!!!! >_<

At least he fights in King of Sanda... Dunno about k-1 and the sort... >_>

Then again, Chinese fighters are abit "closed" to foreign competetive fighting ( as far as I know). They usually stick to King of Sanda and Art of War which are striking and mma respectivly.

new2bjj
1/03/2008 3:15pm,
Despite what Kung Fu movies would have you think, fighting is not looked upon highly as a career path in Chinese culture. If someone Chinese wanted to go for it, and he had the talent, he'd do as well as anyone. It's just not as big a part of the whole study hard, get a good job and save mentality that is more common- which actually makes sense, if you think about it.

meataxe
1/03/2008 7:28pm,
Competitive martial art training in China right now focuses on Olympic sports. I saw a lot of TKD (when visiting Shaolin Temple, no less). I'm not sure about Judo/Wrestling/Boxing, I didn't see anything. The big one is Wushu, which China was trying to get in as a demonstration sport for 2008. (They failed.) I think San Shou/ San Da and Shuai Jiao are somewhere behind the Olympic sports.

With respect to new2bjj's post, having your son be the next Jet Li (and get rich) would be much more prestigious than being a decorated San Shou fighter or boxer.

new2bjj
1/03/2008 7:35pm,
Competitive martial art training in China right now focuses on Olympic sports. I saw a lot of TKD (when visiting Shaolin Temple, no less). I'm not sure about Judo/Wrestling/Boxing, I didn't see anything. The big one is Wushu, which China was trying to get in as a demonstration sport for 2008. (They failed.) I think San Shou/ San Da and Shuai Jiao are somewhere behind the Olympic sports.

With respect to new2bjj's post, having your son be the next Jet Li (and get rich) would be much more prestigious than being a decorated San Shou fighter or boxer.

All the kid's in my old Wu Shu class in LA were upper middle class, and hoped to make it in the movies- guess what- some of them did, at least to some degree. Donnie Yen was originally a Wu Shu guy. If you brought up sparring or Bruce Lee, they'd look at you like you were nuts. Now, Eric Chen made them all do, or most of them, JKD, so they would have some kind of self defense skills, but hey was Americanized as hell. Eric went on to Choreograph that Ninja movie with the fat, dead white guy whose name escapes me. :deadhorse