PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

sandy77
1/02/2008 8:17pm,
Posting to say hi, looking forward to checking out the posts relating to MMA and their impact on self defence. Specifically I'm interested in MMA competition and if it dilutes/enhances martial arts as viable street fighting forms.
Am based in Sydney Aus, and train under a modern system with a solid background in Ju Jistsu. I'm enjoying the rise of MMA and am amazed at the level of competition in the professional ranks.
Cheers,
Sandy77

KungFuBot
1/02/2008 8:18pm,
Welcome aboard, sandy77! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

sandy77
1/05/2008 1:19am,
Thanks for the heads up - looking forward to it.

hoodedmonk
1/05/2008 2:44am,
Posting to say hi, looking forward to checking out the posts relating to MMA and their impact on self defence. Specifically I'm interested in MMA competition and if it dilutes/enhances martial arts as viable street fighting forms.
Am based in Sydney Aus, and train under a modern system with a solid background in Ju Jistsu. I'm enjoying the rise of MMA and am amazed at the level of competition in the professional ranks.
Cheers,
Sandy77I would say mma enhances self defense in a street fight situation. In my opinion no martial art could prepare you any better. Just remember there are no rules or ref to regulate what goes on in the street. And watch out for bullshit labeled mma. mixed martial arts could mean just about anything.

colonelpong2
1/05/2008 10:36pm,
Hi Sandy, your style field is empty so I was wondering which modern system you are referring to?

sandy77
1/06/2008 5:32pm,
Agreed Hoodedmonk - MMA should really be grounded in original arts, just more than one (hence the name!!). I train under the generic 'Shinbudo' banner, which is a school in Sydney that is based in Aikijustsu. My sensei is one of the few practitioners of Daito Ryu outside of Japan and he teaches the coursework for modern audiences - this just means we don't don't get too bogged down in tradition.
We then train in MMA to complement this - basic kickboxing and grappling with some rudimentary form/kata. We then spar as 'Sports Ju Jitsu' - essentially MMA with 14oz gloves.
I do know of other schools teaching Shinbudo - but the term is generic in Japanese so the application can be varied. For our sake it leaves enough room to add in MMA and keep it 'real'.
I think we're on the right track and the vast majority of posters on this forum seem to be pushing the same angle - this comes as a big relief. I'd hate to be one of those guys who spent big time and dollars on some wishy washy school only to learn a lot of spiritual garbage and bad techniques.
PS - I'll try to add my style into the field...somehow

Augusto
1/06/2008 6:02pm,
Welcome to Bullshido forums, we expect you to have a nice and educational experiencie in your stance....

....wait, I'm also a newbie :S