PDA

View Full Version : BJJ in MMA gyms

Pages : [1] 2

Leo11
1/02/2008 7:32pm,
Ive been taking a basic no-gi fundementals class to BJJ in order to get a pretty good introduction to the sport and decide wether or not its for me before investing in it. I'd actually been interested in taking it for quite some time now but haven't been able to due to school/work/schedule. Anyway, I decided that it definetly lives up to my expectations and Im having a great time learning techniques and perfecting them in rolls. Im even looking forward to competing one day (assuming that everyone begins BJJ by being constantly tapped and eventually figures things out lol) which means I know Ill need good training in a Gi. So heres where I run into some troubles. There appears to be a few pretty good BJJ gyms in my area that train in Gi, allow for beginners and compete. Theres also a really good MMA gym which my brother is a part of just as close which offers great.complete training in MT, BJJ, Sub Wrestling. The problem with that gym is that I have a feeling (from their website, http://www.usmma.org/ ) they dont bother training in a Gi so that they can strictly focus on the ring, mma and self defence.

So my question is, would it be better for me to learn BJJ strictly from a BJJ school in a Gi, or should I join the MMA school and get the benefit of learning MT and BJJ in the process (for the same price as the other gym), but probably have to skip on any Gi training?

What do you guys think?

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/02/2008 7:47pm,
Do you want to learn MT? What's is more important to you, training in a gi or learning MT? How do the instructors compare between the two gyms? Consider these things and then I would suggest you take the two free classes and see how you like it before making any decisions.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/02/2008 7:51pm,
The website has kind of strange vibe to it. They talk more about "body wellness" and spirituality than they do about fighting.

Leo11
1/02/2008 8:14pm,
I definetly wouldn't mind learning MT, I actually spent some time deciding between BJJ and MT and happened to decide that BJJ seemed to fit me a little better and is something I could justify investing time and money into. Haha yeah looking back at the site your right it does have a strange kind of vibe to it, but it is a legitemate mma gym. Its got great reviews frm massmma.org and like I said my brother has been training with those instructors for about 3 years now and he loves it. Previously, their facility was in another town and was much smaller with fewer students. However, they opened that gym within the year in order to accomodate more fighters and also broaden their appeal to people who just wanted to get healthy on the weekends lol.

well heres the link to the BJJ gyms
Terrinha BJJ, 1st choice, http://www.tdbjj.com/index.php
Kimura BJJ, 2nd choice, http://www.kimurabjj.com/Home/tabid/52/Default.aspx

The instructors seem to be really good at both schools (judging from the site anyway). As for the MMA school, my brother swears by their training and there are a few instructors and from what I remember him telling me, theres 2 BJJ instructors (1 Black belt and 1 Brown belt, the assistants are purple I believe). As for MT, im less certain but he did mention that one of them had experience in Thailand. But I woudn't quote him/myself on it, although im certain that the instructors are great as I can tell he is learning a lot, I don't see any info on the site to confirm it.

thorthe power
1/02/2008 8:37pm,
Leo11 I would follow Razamataz's advise and check out both schools.

I personally enjoy doing both gi and no-gi. I figure if I get in fight during warm weather no-gi will come in handy...and during the winter (people in heavy clothing/coats) gi grappling will come in handy.

Good luck

Mdrnsamurai
1/02/2008 8:41pm,
So my question is, would it be better for me to learn BJJ strictly from a BJJ school in a Gi, or should I join the MMA school and get the benefit of learning MT and BJJ in the process (for the same price as the other gym), but probably have to skip on any Gi training?

The question is really for you to answer. Whether you like the Gi or not? Also what type of training you are looking for? Me personally, I like both, but No Gi has definitely helped me more then the Gi has. No Gi training has helped me develop control over my opponent without worrying about having something to grab onto. Also I am a big fan of Eddie Bravo and the Rubber Guard and a lot of it's techniques when it comes to my No Gi training. I spent almost 25 years in a Judogi, so it's nice to get out of it from time to time.

Both Gi and No Gi Training have their upsides and their downsides and it really depends on what aspect you are looking to achieve. There is a constant debate over which is better to train Gi or No Gi, and it all depends on what side you decide to fall on.

Whatever your decision, I hope that your training goes well and you achieve everything that you set out to do.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy

Leo11
1/02/2008 8:51pm,
Thats true, thanks for the advice. Thats always a benefit of free classes. I should probably look around to see if theres any threads on how to adjust no-gi to gi grappling since its probably been discussed before.

Its going to be a nuisance joing different gyms between Mass (school) and N.Carolina (home... well now) anyway.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
1/02/2008 8:54pm,
There is a huge Gi vs. no-Gi thread in DHS.

Leo11
1/02/2008 9:01pm,
The question is really for you to answer. Whether you like the Gi or not? Also what type of training you are looking for? Me personally, I like both, but No Gi has definitely helped me more then the Gi has. No Gi training has helped me develop control over my opponent without worrying about having something to grab onto. Also I am a big fan of Eddie Bravo and the Rubber Guard and a lot of it's techniques when it comes to my No Gi training. I spent almost 25 years in a Judogi, so it's nice to get out of it from time to time.

Both Gi and No Gi Training have their upsides and their downsides and it really depends on what aspect you are looking to achieve. There is a constant debate over which is better to train Gi or No Gi, and it all depends on what side you decide to fall on.

Whatever your decision, I hope that your training goes well and you achieve everything that you set out to do.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
Good Luck

Combat Judo Academy

Hmm I was always under the impression that Gi training was better for you (especially for beginners) which was why I think Ive been leaning in that direction. That and it seems more fun to compete in a Gi. My brother seems to take your opinion though and prefers to train no-Gi, strictly.

heyguy
1/02/2008 11:24pm,
The website has kind of strange vibe to it. They talk more about "body wellness" and spirituality than they do about fighting.

thats just to bring in more people for yoga.

heyguy
1/02/2008 11:50pm,

What do you guys think?

Have a feeling you'll end up at a bjj school, as I may eventually. Might actually be checking out usmma tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

Leo11
1/03/2008 12:00am,
Have a feeling you'll end up at a bjj school, as I may eventually. Might actually be checking out usmma tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

Oh I hadn't realized you were from around that area of Mass. Im all the way out in UMass Amherst during the year and split some of my time away from school between mass and nc. But yeah Id really appreciate it if youd let me know how it goes. Do you know which class youre interested in checking out first ? (Beginner/Intermediate BJJ or MT ?)

Just curious, where have you trained before in mass?

Lv1Sierpinski
1/03/2008 12:04am,
I've only been at BJJ for about a year, and personally enjoy gi more than no-gi...but I think at the beginning you're going to get so much out of both that I wouldn't stress too much about it and weigh up location and price and people just as much in the decision. At the beginning you're going to get destroyed every class either way, but that's part of the fun.

heyguy
1/03/2008 12:24am,
Oh I hadn't realized you were from around that area of Mass. Im all the way out in UMass Amherst during the year and split some of my time away from school between mass and nc. But yeah Id really appreciate it if youd let me know how it goes. Do you know which class youre interested in checking out first ? (Beginner/Intermediate BJJ or MT ?)

Just curious, where have you trained before in mass?

nc?

Will post my thoughts of it, but what does your brother have to say about it?
I will be trying out the beg bjj in the morning if I can wake up.

I trained in a small cma school in attleboro for over 6 yrs. It's been a while since then, though I still train on my own.

check out the throwdown forum. there's a boston td in allston, ma at waikru at 3 on sat. if interested. been there once to meet up, all great guys.

Leo11
1/03/2008 12:55am,
I've only been at BJJ for about a year, and personally enjoy gi more than no-gi...but I think at the beginning you're going to get so much out of both that I wouldn't stress too much about it and weigh up location and price and people just as much in the decision. At the beginning you're going to get destroyed every class either way, but that's part of the fun.

Haha yeah im definetly expecting to get destroyed since I get a feeling no matter where I go, I'm going to be the only guy without at least 6 months experience under an instructor but your right, it is part of the fun to notice improvement. Any particular reason why you prefer the Gi? Location definetly shouldn't be an issue in my choice at least as they are only 5 miles and an exit apart (5-10 minutes tops from one another which is awsome).

Leo11
1/03/2008 1:10am,
nc?

Will post my thoughts of it, but what does your brother have to say about it?
I will be trying out the beg bjj in the morning if I can wake up.

I trained in a small cma school in attleboro for over 6 yrs. It's been a while since then, though I still train on my own.

check out the throwdown forum. there's a boston td in allston, ma at waikru at 3 on sat. if interested. been there once to meet up, all great guys.

Sorry, NC is North Carolina. My mom recently moved down here which means Ill probably have to go and look for some bjj gyms around here. Coincidently, my plan was also to check some out tommorow sometime. Theres one for just $50 (Royce Gracie Network) and another for $180(Alliance bjj).

My brother seems to really like it. Hes been with the instructors for a good while and enjoys training with Tom and Matt there (I guess they are the main instructors). Hes been doing BJJ the whole time and started MT about a year ago. He gets along well with the other students too. The facility itself is brand new as well so it should have plenty of room and everything you would need.

The TD sounds cool, Ill check out the forum but I wont be around be able to make it to allston this weekend. Ill probably let my brother know about it though