PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Costa Rica

atemi-ryu
12/31/2007 5:01pm,
Hello Bullshido! Great reads here and lots of entertaining as well as informative posts.

I've recently relocated to San Jose, Costa Rica from Miami, Florida and have the desire to start training.

I'm 37, stepfather to two kids and not seriously considering ever entering any full contact tournaments. However if I studied BJJ, I'd more than welcome the opportunity to learn and test myself in the grappling events.

The dilema I'm in however is that the Ryan Gracie BJJ school and the Sydney Machado dojo are located too far away; no reasonable schedule I can get worked out amongst my job, transportation and family responsibilities.

Which leaves me with the following choices: Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai or JuJutsu.

I have some familiarity with the JuJutsu instructor, as he was mentored by my aikido professor in Miami. I studied aikido for about 8 months with Professor Chenique at his Hialeah dojo. That has been my one and only formal experience to the martial arts.

(I did notice that in the BS/Fraud forum, Chenique's name came up: it's included in the topic regarding Moses Powell and Sunuces Ryu. Chenique was a direct student of Powells.)

I visited the muay thai gym but my concern was that it seemed to be sparring only, and no basic instruction. The sparring is great for aliveness and realistic training, but I have zero background in boxing or kicking to get me off the ground in the proper way.

And maybe just for whatever unknown reasons, I haven't ever really given TKD much of a look; something just wasn't appealing.

With these 3 options, is there anything I should be specifically looking for during my evaluation?

Any immediate red flags or "that style is fake crap" don't do it type advice?

Thanks in advance and go easy on the NOOB.

TKDBot
12/31/2007 5:02pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums atemi-ryu... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Phrost
12/31/2007 5:53pm,
Costa Rica's a great country. Haven't been there since 2001 (business trip), but I loved the place.

You'd probably be better off doing Muay Thai.

slideyfoot
1/02/2008 7:23am,
Welcome to Bullshido!

I've recently relocated to San Jose, Costa Rica from Miami, Florida and have the desire to start training.

My gf was thinking of doing some kind of volunteer program out there, but got put off by the spiders (she's heavily arachnophobic). Are the insects as bad as I hear, or not much of a problem (unless you really, really hate spiders :icon_wink)?

With these 3 options, is there anything I should be specifically looking for during my evaluation?

Any immediate red flags or "that style is fake crap" don't do it type advice?

I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/finding-a-good-martial-arts-school.html) on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article (http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/2005/07/why-aliveness.html) on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

Presumably there isn't any judo available, as you didn't mention that in your three options? As that makes for an excellent substitute if you want BJJ but don't have any in your area.

The Question
1/02/2008 10:04am,
Where in CR are you located. I lived in Cartago for a little bit and the only MA around was TKD.
And yes, the Muay Thai is probably your best option.

atemi-ryu
1/02/2008 2:31pm,
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

My gf was thinking of doing some kind of volunteer program out there, but got put off by the spiders (she's heavily arachnophobic). Are the insects as bad as I hear, or not much of a problem (unless you really, really hate spiders )?

I live in a 2 story townhouse, constructed 2 years ago. We are in a typical residential barrio, called Curridabat. And yes, at times the fricking ugliest, biggest black siders find their way into the house freaking my wife and kids out. Insects are a reality here.

Presumably there isn't any judo available, as you didn't mention that in your three options? As that makes for an excellent substitute if you want BJJ but don't have any in your area.

I did look for judo also, though I forgot to mention that in my original post. There are a couple of schools, but again unfortunately they are located in other areas that I would not realistically make it to with any frequency.

Where in CR are you located. I lived in Cartago for a little bit and the only MA around was TKD.
And yes, the Muay Thai is probably your best option.

I'm living in Curridabat, specifically Lomas de Ayarco Sur. Cartago is about 30 minutes away by bus. All of the BJJ and Judo seems to be located in Escazu. Which from a business standpoint probably makes sense as this area is more affluent and the people have more disposable income there to invest in a "luxury" like MMA.

I am making another visit to the Muay Thai gym next week to meet with the owner. Again, my only reservation so far there is if there is actual formal instruction on the basics and techniques or is it a place where people are coming to spar only because they are already advanced in the basics of boxing, movement, etc.

I'm starting from ground zero.

heyguy
1/02/2008 4:03pm,
say hi to my sister, she's there on her honeymoon.

atemi-ryu
1/05/2008 11:08pm,
say hi to my sister, she's there on her honeymoon.

Sorry, I couldn't find your sister but I did stop by the Muay Thai gym again and received much better info.

I'll be starting in Feb: they are open six days a week and rotate different instructors throughout the day.

Each teaches a 1 and 1/2 hour block of instruction: muay thai. boxing. bjj and karate.

For the monthly fee you can attend any and all of the classes you want.

Location also includes free weights and assortment of heavy bags, etc.

I'll provide a detailed review after a few months, when I can offer some more concrete opinions regarding the actual classes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

(BTW, 12,500 colones a month.....can't beat it!) Roughly $25.