PDA

View Full Version : Human Weapon TKD episode

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin.74
12/28/2007 8:52am,
So who watched it?

Overall it was an entertaining episode and it was fun watching Bill Duff get KOed with a wheel kick. It had your typical historical element, which I am hoping Errant will come by an comment on.

They did state that TKD was a modern martial art that didn't come into existence until after WW 2. They also said that Taekkyon was a major influence on modern TKD and that Hwarangdo was an ancient battlefield version of TKD. Umm WTF! I thought Hwarangdo was actually younger than TKD. No mention of it's roots in Karate.

Cuchulain
12/28/2007 8:57am,
They said some of the kicks were from Karate. They didn't mention the hand strikes at all in the episode.

I thought it was a good episode. Taekkyon didn't come off looking as good as it should have.

The Question
12/28/2007 2:54pm,
Wait, when was it on?

It is Fake
12/28/2007 2:57pm,
Yes Hwarangdo history is so full of holes it isn't funny. So as usual they got some things wrong but hey it could've been worse (see kung fu Ninjitsu Escrima episodes)..

Ronin.74
12/28/2007 2:59pm,
Wait, when was it on?

The History channel completely changed the schedule and showed it on Thursday at 12 noon and 6 pm. If you were expecting to catch it tonight at it's regularly scheduled time your SOL.

benonmsn
12/28/2007 3:00pm,
Bill Duff: tae kwon do? more like tae kwon fun!

awesome

Ronin.74
12/28/2007 3:01pm,
Yes Hwarangdo history is so full of holes it isn't funny. So as usual they got some things wrong but hey it could've been worse (see kung fu Ninjitsu Escrima episodes)..

Overall I felt the episode was pretty good. Not a whole lot of mystic BS, just some historical inacurracies and both hosts got hurt during the fight portion. Definitely better than several of the other episodes.

The Question
12/28/2007 3:03pm,
The History channel completely changed the schedule and showed it on Thursday at 12 noon and 6 pm. If you were expecting to catch it tonight at it's regularly scheduled time your SOL.

What the **** is wrong with them?

Has human weapon been getting bad ratings or something?

Ronin.74
12/28/2007 3:08pm,
What the **** is wrong with them?

Has human weapon been getting bad ratings or something?

If you peruse the clusterfuck that is the Human weapon forums, you would hear two different sides. One side says that the shows ratings suck and it's being cancelled (they place the blame for this squarely on Bill Duff's shoulders). The other side says the show's doing great and is going to have a second season.

With the frequent schedule changes regarding the last two episodes and a complete episode that didn't even get aired, I would suspect that it's getting cancelled.

Cuchulain
12/28/2007 4:22pm,
Bill Duff came off looking like an idiot in this episode. He kept going on about how he had TKD skills and really seemed offended when the guy said he was a bit slow.

Also famous last words "The plan is to not get knocked out."

Nathan McScary
12/28/2007 4:44pm,
I couldn't help but notice that Fight Quest premiers tonight at 10pm (EST) and airs again at 2am. Oddly enough, this is Human Weapon's exact air times as well. It seems that the History channel didn't want to go head to head with this new show, and changed their airing schedule at the last minute.

LThornton
12/28/2007 5:05pm,
I thought it was a pretty good episode, but the history bit hurt me almost as much as the "history" the World Tang Soo Do Association puts in their little manual. (First martial arts manual written in 1790 my ass.)

I know breaking doesn't have a lot of relation to fighting ability, but I did find the acrobatics and speed showcased by some of those demonstrations impressive.

And hey, Bill actually got off that taekkyon back kick they taught him. I'm impressed that he worked so hard at bringing in the stuff he learned.

kid_1412
1/06/2008 8:01am,
they got ass-kicked huh...
well,wait till you watch the silat episode. they had made the shooting at malaysia.and from what i have read from a local martial arts magazine, they got ass-kicked too.

glad2bhere
1/06/2008 10:28am,

I have been trying to find out who those HWARANG people were who made all the comments about the warriors of old and the use of material that later became the foundation for TKD. So far no luck. I hope that the intelligent folks among us understand that there are people who have commercial and political reasons for continuing to foster and promote such drivel. Afterall, if those oldsters who administer the world-wide network of TKD ever had to admit that their originators were wealthy sons of Pro-Japanese Koreans whose kids got to go to Japan for their college educations, guess what would happen to the network?

Right now there is one helluva lot more money in Martial Sport, Martial Childcare, selling standing and certificates and in self-promotion than there is in preserving authentic Korean traditions. I know it must be hard for folks here to believe but you would be amazed at how very little the Korean people actually know about their own documented history and practices prior to the Japanese Occupation. I will say, honestly, that part is not their fault. However, it is now some 60 years since the end of the Occupation and precious little has been done to identify, catalogue, preserve and promote authentic traditions---- mostly because there is no money in it. I say, "shame". FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

JohnnyFive
1/06/2008 11:44am,
Bill Duff came off looking like an idiot in this episode. He kept going on about how he had TKD skills and really seemed offended when the guy said he was a bit slow.

Also famous last words "The plan is to not get knocked out."

BILL DUFF: "I'm faster than you think!"
KOREAN GUY: "Or if you lose some weight."
BILL DUFF: "It's all muscle!"

It is Fake
1/06/2008 11:49am,
I have been trying to find out who those HWARANG people were who made all the comments about the warriors of old and the use of material that later became the foundation for TKD. So far no luck. I hope that the intelligent folks among us understand that there are people who have commercial and political reasons for continuing to foster and promote such drivel. Afterall, if those oldsters who administer the world-wide network of TKD ever had to admit that their originators were wealthy sons of Pro-Japanese Koreans whose kids got to go to Japan for their college educations, guess what would happen to the network?

Right now there is one helluva lot more money in Martial Sport, Martial Childcare, selling standing and certificates and in self-promotion than there is in preserving authentic Korean traditions. I know it must be hard for folks here to believe but you would be amazed at how very little the Korean people actually know about their own documented history and practices prior to the Japanese Occupation. I will say, honestly, that part is not their fault. However, it is now some 60 years since the end of the Occupation and precious little has been done to identify, catalogue, preserve and promote authentic traditions---- mostly because there is no money in it. I say, "shame". FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Look for posts by Errant108 and Migurksan. They both have studied Korean arts extensively and can read Korean.