PDA

View Full Version : Flexible weapons

Pages : [1] 2 3

The_Tao
12/23/2007 9:44pm,
So I'm really into to idea of learning use of flexible weapons, like chain whip, rope dart, and meteor balls. I have one problem, I have no idea where you would get instruction for that, my current martial art only teachs one of the things mentioned above, and not until a very high rank. So my question is, any idea of styles that teach these weapons?

Fitz
12/23/2007 10:17pm,
You're better off learning some basic circus skills

http://www.dube.com/poi/

http://www.dube.com/video/splash.php?cd=poi

Once you get comfortable swinging a poi around consider experimenting with the other weapons

bad credit
12/24/2007 7:27am,
Flexible weapons suck. I should know, I've trained with nunchucks, manriki-gusari, rope, kusari fundo and unweighted chains. I've even played with whips. (Get your mind out of the gutter.) They all come back at you on a swing or snap, and since they aren't rigid you can't block with them. Sure, you can entangle with them and go around a block or shield like an old fashioned flail, but give me a rigid stick or blade anyday.

plasma
12/24/2007 9:27am,
If you look hard enough you still can find schools teaching branches or Toda-ryu and Maasaki-ryu which both teach BundoKusari/ManrikiKusari or Isshin-ryu for Kusarigamajutsu.

Warning though, you need a GOOD teacher! Otherwise the chain will rape you.

plasma
12/24/2007 9:29am,
Flexible weapons suck. I should know, I've trained with nunchucks, manriki-gusari, rope, kusari fundo and unweighted chains. I've even played with whips. (Get your mind out of the gutter.) They all come back at you on a swing or snap, and since they aren't rigid you can't block with them. Sure, you can entangle with them and go around a block or shield like an old fashioned flail, but give me a rigid stick or blade anyday.

If you were swinging and snapping with a chain, either you had a bad teacher or are just an idiot.

selfcritical
12/24/2007 12:21pm,
Ron Balicki's The Fighting Sarong was pretty damn cool. Especially the MMA rounds at the end where he fights using the sarong.

bad credit
12/25/2007 12:20am,
Really? Because the trailer for that instructional looks terrible.

bad credit
12/25/2007 5:14pm,
If you were swinging and snapping with a chain, either you had a bad teacher or are just an idiot.

I got the chain swinging out of old Steven Hayes books. Nuff said.

I've never liked Silat's use of the sarong to block and grapple, because the moves look EXACTLY like what I was taught with flexible weapons in Budo Taijutsu, and I tried that **** in sparring, and it didn't work. For those of you who say that it was me and not the technique, I don't care how strong you are, you can't hold a rope, silk, cloth, towel or chain tight enough to block properly against a decent powered attack. Trying to tie somebody up in a grapple is a gamble, too. You're better off getting space to draw a ranged weapon or going for a rigid melee weapon to just plain hit or stab them with. **** tying a guy up.

melk
12/25/2007 5:28pm,
I have seen some decent work in some Russian Styles on using belts as weapons. As most people wear one, and they are legal to carry everywhere, it seemed mostly practical. My only concern with it was being able to get it off in time in an engagement. However, thinking about it, it may be more likely than having chain or whip handy. I will see if I can dig up some footage.

plasma
12/25/2007 5:45pm,
I got the chain swinging out of old Steven Hayes books. Nuff said.

I've never liked Silat's use of the sarong to block and grapple, because the moves look EXACTLY like what I was taught with flexible weapons in Budo Taijutsu, and I tried that **** in sparring, and it didn't work. For those of you who say that it was me and not the technique, I don't care how strong you are, you can't hold a rope, silk, cloth, towel or chain tight enough to block properly against a decent powered attack. Trying to tie somebody up in a grapple is a gamble, too. You're better off getting space to draw a ranged weapon or going for a rigid melee weapon to just plain hit or stab them with. **** tying a guy up.

I fought a Shinkage-ryu instructor katana vs. a 3 foot weighted chain. Nearly broke his hand with the training version of the chain (weighted rope). He cut I evaded, then I came over top and struck his hand with the weight at the end. He dropped the sword and the match ended.

The_Tao
12/25/2007 11:29pm,
Thanks for the responses, I'm looking into the entire belt thing. I know one guy who actually wears a weighted chain as his belt, he's never been called on it.

melk
12/26/2007 1:34am,
I would love to see a picture of that to see how it works.

The_Tao
12/26/2007 2:36am,
simple he ties it around his waist, and uses thin string to tie the ends together so it's easy to snap so he can use it. Make sense?

Purpleskunk
12/26/2007 3:36am,
goth?

melk
12/26/2007 4:09am,
goth?
Has to be.

The_Tao
12/26/2007 12:39pm,
goth?

nope, he waers jeans and a t-shirt like normal people, they just think it's a fashion statement.