PDA

View Full Version : punching from the hip?

Pages : [1] 2

btbl
12/12/2007 10:03pm,
what is the major argument agains punching from the hip? i much prefer wing chun and boxing punches, but my friend believes that since the karate from hip punch travels longer it hits with more momentum. So why does everyone consider it uneffective?

Banacek
12/12/2007 10:06pm,
it leaves you unprotected for the most part. and it is slower. i learned this when i switched from TKD to boxing.

cyril
12/12/2007 10:34pm,
what is the major argument agains punching from the hip? i much prefer wing chun and boxing punches, but my friend believes that since the karate from hip punch travels longer it hits with more momentum. So why does everyone consider it uneffective?

You can twist your body a lot more for this chambered punch, but like the previous poster said, it leaves you WIDE open.

Punching from a boxer's stance is more practical, safe, and quick. There could be an argument about power, but you can only put so much of your body's force into a punch.

Boxers have been doing this for years, they know what they're doing.

Vector
12/13/2007 7:36am,
I am pretty certain that "travel distance" doesn't have anything to do with momentum. The only relationship I can think of would assume that the punch was accelerating during the the entire travel distance, thus having a higher velocity upon impact.

That said, we (I) do sometimes throw a body shot where my hand drops down close to my hip or maybe lower ribcage and then extends in for the body shot. This is not the same thing as carrying the hand down low the entire time.

Jadonblade
12/13/2007 8:10am,
I would tell your friend to watch the karate guys in K-1, they are his new sensei's.

WhiteShark
12/13/2007 8:57am,
Just head kick him on that side next time he tries to punch from the hip.

Scott Larson
12/13/2007 10:01am,
In most cases the negative outweigh the positives.

Travel distance isn't an issue, because you can throw a punch from your face the same distance as from your hip, it just depends on your distance from the target.

I think some sort of physics person could answer this better. Its a more direct line of energy from the ground, to the hip, to the hand, than the ground, to the hip, to the shoulder, to the hand.

And of course like everyone else said, if your hand is at your hip, its not protecting your face. Punching from the face is much simpler and 99% of the time all you need.

Domite
12/13/2007 10:38am,
I have seen some boxers that totally tool thier opponents with thier front hand down by the waist, but thats like .05% of boxers, if even that many.

Safe bet is, keep your hands at your head.

Snake Plissken
12/13/2007 10:48am,
That was known as the weakness of the Kronk gym fighters:
keeping their left hand low

Permalost
12/13/2007 12:18pm,
Ask him to show you what his defense is against hooks to the head. Whatever it is, it will probably work better from the chin than the hip.

Snake Plissken
12/13/2007 12:30pm,
Well, punching from the hip to the abdomen isn't really problematic, other than that pesky open face thing.
Traveling from hip to opponant's face does generate more momentum, but you are also telegraphing the shot.
Most boxers, when striking to the midsection, bend/tilt at the waist in order to keep cover up and bring the fist closer to their opponants midsection and generating the force with the hip pivot.

Jadonblade
12/13/2007 12:37pm,
I have seen some boxers that totally tool thier opponents with thier front hand down by the waist, but thats like .05% of boxers, if even that many.

Safe bet is, keep your hands at your head.

Thats not a bad point!, crazy boxers like Prince naseem and Joe Cazaghe do/did it fairly often.

edit-

But they kinda just had their hands really low, not actually chambering it on the hip.

Snake Plissken
12/13/2007 1:23pm,
Thats not a bad point!, crazy boxers like Prince naseem and Joe Cazaghe do/did it fairly often.

edit-

But they kinda just had their hands really low, not actually chambering it on the hip.
I have seen boxer drop their hands to their waist for a few seconds to showboat.......

...and more often than not, get clocked.

Gbemi
12/13/2007 3:02pm,

May I ask what style he is studying? For us, punching from the hip means generating torque from the hip, not that the fists are down there, chambered. Sensei would probably kick me in my nads if he saw me do something like that.

Snake Plissken
12/13/2007 3:19pm,
the only excuse for this practice is handcuffs

Domite
12/13/2007 3:24pm,
I have seen boxer drop their hands to their waist for a few seconds to showboat.......

...and more often than not, get clocked.

I have sen a fight where one guy kept one hand down pretty much the whole fight, and dominated. Can't remember the fighters names, but again, it is a rare and unreliable tactic.