PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a school in Seoul

Noslen
12/05/2007 7:26pm,
Anyone know of a certified BJJ or Gracie school in Seoul?

BJJbot
12/05/2007 7:27pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, Noslen. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Ronin.74
12/07/2007 3:06pm,
I know that there are at least 2 or 3 schools in the Seoul area teaching BJJ. Try looking in the local English language newspapers. One of the newspapers used to have an ad in the Classified section with contact info.

halfcut
12/07/2007 3:18pm,
John Frankl is in Apgujeong. I know a guy who trained with him, and he only has good things to say.
http://onthemat.com/school_database.php?schoolid=549

Noslen
12/08/2007 10:17am,
Thank you, I will try that.

Ronin.74
12/08/2007 12:48pm,
John Frankl is in Apgujeong. I know a guy who trained with him, and he only has good things to say.
http://onthemat.com/school_database.php?schoolid=549

I trained at the club that was under John before he moved back to Seoul. I got to take a couple of classes with him when he was in town. Definitely worth going to for training, he's probably the best in Seoul.

TEA
12/09/2007 4:08am,
Dude, if you're in Seoul, why not try Gongkwonyusul? It's like Kyokushin and BJJ rolled into one. Take advantage of what the country you're in has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v=AAjtZ69e08Q

Noslen
12/09/2007 4:41am,
[quote=TEA]Dude, if you're in Seoul, why not try Gongkwonyusul? It's like Kyokushin and BJJ rolled into one. Take advantage of what the country you're in has to offer.
quote]

Yes, I am considering that as well - will check it out this week. The JF-BJJ school (which I learned of via this thread - thanks) is very good, but far from me, and the Gongkwonyusul school is quite close. I guess distance shouldn't matter, but I have been considering these two options (straight BJJ vs. Gongkwonyusul) for a while now as I continue to study Tae Kwon Do. So now I am trying to balance various advantages and disadvantages (there are more than distance) of going one way or another. If I had my way it would be TKD, BJJ, Gongkwonyusul and Hapkido, but that, of course is impossible. So I can only have TKD and one more - a good position to be in, I know. I will make a decision this week.

Thank you for your reply and ideas.

TEA
12/09/2007 10:45am,
[quote=TEA]Dude, if you're in Seoul, why not try Gongkwonyusul? It's like Kyokushin and BJJ rolled into one. Take advantage of what the country you're in has to offer.
quote]

Yes, I am considering that as well - will check it out this week. The JF-BJJ school (which I learned of via this thread - thanks) is very good, but far from me, and the Gongkwonyusul school is quite close. I guess distance shouldn't matter, but I have been considering these two options (straight BJJ vs. Gongkwonyusul) for a while now as I continue to study Tae Kwon Do. So now I am trying to balance various advantages and disadvantages (there are more than distance) of going one way or another. If I had my way it would be TKD, BJJ, Gongkwonyusul and Hapkido, but that, of course is impossible. So I can only have TKD and one more - a good position to be in, I know. I will make a decision this week.

Thank you for your reply and ideas.

While distance shouldn't be a consideration in an ideal world, in the real world, it often plays a huge role in how much one actually trains. After a long day of work or school, would you be more likely to drag your tired ass to a gym that's a half hour away or an hour away?

Noslen
12/19/2007 4:44am,
I have joined the GongKwonYusul gym and I will continue with my TKD. I have only been there a few days, but I can already tell I will be learning some useful techniques. Thanks for all the advice guys.

TEA
12/19/2007 7:33pm,
I have joined the GongKwonYusul gym and I will continue with my TKD. I have only been there a few days, but I can already tell I will be learning some useful techniques. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Great. I am actually kind of jealous. While I'm getting excellent Gracie Jiu Jitsu where I train now, I think the Gonkwonyusul looks like it provides a great format for combiing striking and grappling in a somewhat TMAish format. Please keep us updated on your progress and impressions. A training blog would be great, but I know most people don't have time for that. Good luck, keep your hands up, your chin tucked and take it to the other guy before he takes it to you.