PDA

View Full Version : Bagua Fighting Clips

Pages : [1] 2

mikus
10/29/2003 12:40pm,
A couple of clips of BlackTaoist fighting in SanDa competitions. Not the greatest quality, but interesting.

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Beng%20applic.html

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Beijing%20Fight%20.html

MaverickZ
10/29/2003 12:49pm,
hmm, some dude on gamefaqs posted those saying that was him.

HAPKO3
10/29/2003 12:57pm,
The clips are too short to really tell anything, but both of the fighters don't look all that hot.

Their hand position are silly, footwork is virtually non-existent... Not too impressed.

Ronin
10/29/2003 1:03pm,
Interesting, too bad it DIDN'T show any bagua.

runsun
8/29/2004 12:53pm,
The guy that BT fought was on the Beijing San Shou team. Don't know the exact title, but it's probably on his website somewhere.

BT actually did some training in groundfighting, and used a lot of that to win.

I have the whole fight on tape, and it IS impressive.

Peace.

Apostol
8/29/2004 1:04pm,
No footwork? LOL, that strike, beng chuan, 90% of its power comes from footwork.

...and Xing Yi footwork is mostly in a straight line.

that guy
8/29/2004 1:21pm,
BlackTaoist has a solid rep in NY, and no, those clips don't do him justice. He is very much MMA, but represents Hsing-I/Ba-Gua when he fights. He is also very open to work out with anyone.

Omar
8/29/2004 5:15pm,
....but represents Hsing-I/Ba-Gua when he fights.

Originally posted by ronin69
Interesting, too bad it DIDN'T show any bagua .

that guy
8/29/2004 10:11pm,
he didn't show any ba gua or hsing-i in those clips. He definitely embellished in the one clip where he claimed he used his beng chuan effectively (keeping both feet on the ground would help)

Omar
8/30/2004 12:35am,
Well......

Here's a guy who ONLY trains Bagua, Hsing Yi and a little Taiji. He's MAINLY a bagua guy. He likes to say that with pepole he doesn't know he likes to start out with beng quan and see if they can handle it. If he can beat them with beng quan then he won't even bring on the baguazhan, which is his main style.

So you tell me, if it wasn't beng quan...what was it? Your sounding like Blad a bit. I can't comment on the other clip because I can't seem to play it. He doesn't TRAIN anything else.

Djimbe
8/30/2004 12:41am,
Omar you havent learned . If he made a Fist and itr worked it MUST be Western Boxing . Had he fallen on his head or been wearing Silk Pajamas , THEN it would be Bagua or XY ! If it WORKS it simply CANT be Chinese .

Omar
8/30/2004 12:49am,
For the lurking audience:

Beng Quan is usually thrown with a closed fist and is VERY similar to a right-cross but while stepping though.

Matt Stone
8/30/2004 2:11am,
Originally posted by Omar
For the lurking audience:

Beng Quan is usually thrown with a closed fist and is VERY similar to a right-cross but while stepping though.

A Right Cross?

Perhaps...

Bengquan is simply little more than either of the following:

a) a Reverse Punch thrown from whatever standing position, driving out into a Bow and Arrow stance (or forward stance, zenkutsu dachi, whatever) and pulling the rear foot up into what we call a Halfway stance (shoulder width, shoulder length, like a mini-Bow and Arrow stance), or

b) a Lunging Punch thrown from whatever standing position, driving out into a Bow and Arrow stance (or forward stance, zenkutsu dachi, whatever) and pulling the rear foot up into what we call a Halfway stance (shoulder width, shoulder length, like a mini-Bow and Arrow stance).

While the clip did look like BlackTaoist was executing what could be construed to be Bengquan, when you break it down all Bengquan is is a simple punch, so whatever...

The strength of the Five Elements of Xinqyiquan lies not in the simple techniques but their strategic representation... The punch of Bengquan is only an example technique, not the be-all, end-all.

MUT
8/30/2004 2:44am,
Originally posted by Djimbe
Omar you havent learned . If he made a Fist and itr worked it MUST be Western Boxing . Had he fallen on his head or been wearing Silk Pajamas , THEN it would be Bagua or XY ! If it WORKS it simply CANT be Chinese .

I agree this bias against chinese arts is getting old.

For a website that is supposed to be dedicated to fighting the BS in MA....the members pull alot of **** out of their arses.

Matt Stone
8/30/2004 3:14am,
Originally posted by MUT
I agree this bias against chinese arts is getting old.

For a website that is supposed to be dedicated to fighting the BS in MA....the members pull alot of **** out of their arses.

Well, some websites attack TKD, some attack MMA, here I guess the flavor of the month is CMA...

Being a longtime CMAist, I unfortunately have to agree that the state of CMA (in the US at least, and from what I saw of it in Japan) is pathetic. Of course, that could be said for MA in general when you think about it.

Oh well, whatever. Like a schoolyard bully, eventually they will find something or someone else to pick on.

Greese
8/30/2004 3:56am,
Would it be possible to do a write up with descriptions of the most commonly used terms in CMA and what that translates to in english?
The reason people get pissy about CMA and not Judo or grappling termonoligy is because there are easy references for that. And when translated it isn't "lion eats cock" it is cross arm bar or coiled arm lock.
Seems that would be more productive than complaining.