PDA

View Full Version : Bill Banks, busted fake BJJ Black Belt, up to his old tricks - this time with SAMBO.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sambosteve
12/05/2007 1:53am,
Your friend Banks is up to his old tricks...this time with sambo. He dropped the BJJ from his bio...LOL

His new site: http://williambanks2.com/S2.html

Here is a link to our thread about it:
http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/grappling/html/modules/vB/showthread.php?t=1390&page=1&pp=10

melk
12/05/2007 4:42am,
Since I love to pick on guys like this, spider in Russian is Payk not Pyak. In a language with so many diphthongs it is actually important to get them in the right order.

While I guess anyone can teach Sambo, my guess would be that his rank is about as real as his BJJ BB.

crumpy
12/05/2007 11:27am,
This guy is delusional

1bad65
12/05/2007 11:48am,
Didn't he admit he lied about his BJJ credentials only when several guys had said they were going to storm his gym/garage?

crumpy
12/05/2007 12:05pm,
He claimed a hacker put it on his site at first. He then came clean.

Tom Kagan
12/05/2007 12:23pm,
Culled from:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47568

Don Gwinn
12/05/2007 1:02pm,
So it's just a coincidence that another garage-trained grandmaster has resurfaced right after the Sensei Al saga . . . . . and he has now changed his whole world around to claim to be a Sambo badass? After a legit Sambo badass was the main reason the Sensei Al troll failed to be epic?

Hmm.

Fearless Ukemi
12/05/2007 1:09pm,
Yes, it's just a coincedence. There is some history with this guy, just follow the links.

Tom Kagan
12/05/2007 1:11pm,
So it's just a coincidence that another garage-trained grandmaster has resurfaced right after the Sensei Al saga . . . . . and he has now changed his whole world around to claim to be a Sambo badass? After a legit Sambo badass was the main reason the Sensei Al troll failed to be epic?

Hmm.

No.

Look again at the dates of the posts on Steve's site.

Lu Tze
12/05/2007 1:20pm,
So it's just a coincidence that another garage-trained grandmaster has resurfaced right after the Sensei Al saga . . . . . and he has now changed his whole world around to claim to be a Sambo badass? After a legit Sambo badass was the main reason the Sensei Al troll failed to be epic?Interesting theory, but looking at the Spartan website it's quite a step up technically from creating a myspazz account and free forum. Not saying 'those guys' couldn't do it, HTTP and flash/javascript ain't rocket science after all, just saying they're probably too lazy. Also, this guy is definitely real.

Coincidently, the page sambosteve linked to is now blank.

sambosteve
12/05/2007 1:30pm,

He started his sambo sit back in September...I just never posted it here as I was still looking into him. He had taken his site down for a while after I confronted him about it. But, it recently came back up. So, the thread on our forum started up again. The thread is too long to rehash here, but that is the gist of it.

But, here is Bank's myspace page and a very funny quote from it:
http://myspace.com/sambocombatives

In the pictures, you will see me in my Spartan Gym shirt. Sadly, the Spartan Gym no longer exists. But moving right along, I have been encouraged by my Sambo instructor to get Sambo into the public eye. And if you look closely at the pictures, teaching the Marines at MacDill AFB, you will see some of Sambo in action. The particular leg lock system you see in the photos is my contribution to the art. It's not a great contribution, but it was good enough to give me instructor status in Sambo by Jakob and Michael Mercer. (To gain that level, a student must make a contrbution to the art. Jakob felt that I did).

Anyhow, some people have cautioned me not to show my Sniper System of leg locks. They think the system is great and that it shouldn't be seen by anyone who hasn't earned the right by training with me directly. Oh well. I have posted a few pictures so you could see it firsthand. They say pictures speak a thousand words. And some of my guys think I'm educating the public as to our peculiar take on things. But don't worry. Though pictures speak a thousand words, they also leave out a million more. In other words, without seeing how I got to the leg locks, then the pictures will be of little value to you. You need to know the "connective tissue" that holds it altogether. And no picture can provide that for you.

In response to my students, let me remind you that we are always evolving. Although the Sniper System of leg locks might appear the latest and greatest to some, let me assure you that I'm already developing another version. So by the time anyone has learned the system, I will have something else that surpasses it. This isn't bragging, it's merely the truth.

All that aside, look at the pictures through a microscope. If you think creatively, you can get a lot from them. In fact, I have chosen the pictures that I think best demonstrate the essence of the Sniper System and of Sambo as well. Check them out, pay attention to the headings, and before long you will have a great visual supplement to your gym training. Pictures can't teach you, but they can help your instructor teach you. I hope these pictures help.

PS: This Sambo MySpace is intended to be a training page for Sambo. So expect more blogs and pictures soon. Until next time ...

The post smells like snake oil...

Tom Kagan
12/05/2007 1:34pm,
Everybody take a step back and THINK before your 'OMG IZ THIZ BE TROLLZ' paranoia gets the better of you. This will be the last post in this thread entertaining this tangent.

Stick to the topic.

Thanks Steve. The reason that 'post smells like snake oil' is because it is snake oil (said as if you didn't know already). :smile:

Kung-Fu Joe
12/05/2007 1:37pm,
The post smells like snake oil...Steve, what's your take on the techniques in the photos?

--Joe

sambosteve
12/05/2007 1:56pm,
Steve, what's your take on the techniques in the photos?

Well, it can tough to critique pictures since you don't know the context. Those wer obviously meant to look like (or are) pics takes in transition. But, having said that, they look sloppy and lacking knowledge of the fine tuning of submissions.

Also, if you look at what he claims he invented "the sniper leg lock system", that is old stuff. Just ask the guys who came to the sensei al thing. I taught the guys some of that stuff...only much better IMO

soundless
12/05/2007 2:55pm,
the picture of the armbar is nice, "How do armbar?"

UpaLumpa
12/05/2007 3:12pm,
Steve, what's your take on the techniques in the photos?

--Joe

A heel hook?
Revolutionary.