PDA

View Full Version : A question to the Canadians here.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tyrsmann
12/05/2007 5:28am,
Just watched bowling for columbine and I saw on there that many of the same handguns that are available to us here in the States are available to you guys up there and that your percentage of gun crime is alot less then ours.

I just wanted to see if that was true.

vigilus
12/05/2007 5:30pm,
Yes it is.

Gun crimes are a lot less up here. We also have 30 some million people give or take an illegal family or two.
US has a lot more people.

In Canada handguns are restricted to 10 rounds in a mag (because we know 15 rounds would be fuckingcrazy!) and you can't have a (fully) automati pistol (ie glock 19)

MrJ
12/06/2007 2:59pm,
Hi Tyrsmann -

Have a look at this link for a start.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/rs/rep/2006/rr06-2/index.html

I don't know offhand of any sources for good comparative criminal justice statistics but could probably be found with some googling.

Guns are more common in Canadian violent crime than before (Toronto, Winnipeg) but I don't think it is near US levels.

Roidie McDouchebag
12/06/2007 3:15pm,
In Canada, you must have a Restricted Firearms Acquisition Licesnse (FAL) in order to buy handguns.

You may never use a gun in self defence.

You may never use a handgun outside of a gun range.

You may never keep a loaded gun stored.

Also, we can't get the same guns, Moore is a liar, we have way, WAY less guns here per capita and even lesser handguns.

rw4th
12/06/2007 4:41pm,
If you subtract the statistics for the extremely violent urban areas like Detroit and L.A then the statistics for the US and Canada are about even.

OZZ
12/06/2007 5:25pm,
If you subtract the statistics for the extremely violent urban areas like Detroit and L.A then the statistics for the US and Canada are about even.

I would need to see some evidence/proof of this claim before I would believe it.
And not just some shitass statisitcal numbers thrown together in a convenient manner either...

Roidie McDouchebag
12/06/2007 5:47pm,
Yes, except Canada HAS "violent urban areas" and yet, we're less violent...so the point is moot.

mad_malk
12/06/2007 8:24pm,
Yes it is.

Gun crimes are a lot less up here. We also have 30 some million people give or take an illegal family or two.
US has a lot more people.

In Canada handguns are restricted to 10 rounds in a mag (because we know 15 rounds would be fuckingcrazy!) and you can't have a (fully) automati pistol (ie glock 19)

He means a glock 18

Cassius
12/06/2007 9:19pm,
I went varminting a couple weekends ago with a semiautomatic HMR 17, a Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine, a Smith and Wesson 9mm compact, a Ruger .22LR rifle, and a small .22 plinking pistol. Just because I could.

God bless Nevada.

Roidie McDouchebag
12/07/2007 3:40am,
You could...almost do that here. Well, you can on your own property, but that's it.

praetorian01
12/07/2007 6:42am,
There are a ton of rifles out there in Canada. They have no idea how many dispite an extremely weak attempt at a registration law that flopped, and wasted millions of dollars. Lots and lots of country folk that all have at least one, and plenty of hunters. It should be a lot scarier considering how much we drink. Then again its harder to shoot straight...

Pistolas- not as many, obviously, and we are 10 times smaller of a population and we are spread out like crazy. Population density has quite an effect. E.g./ you have 50 fish (USA) in a barrel as opposed to three(Canada) to shoot at and hit. We have a bit less poverty and the gangs haven't taken root quite as much in our urban centres save for Toronto. The violence between gangs tends to stay "in house" it would seem too. But they tend to screw up targets constantly, the some poor kid gets it. Those smaller arms, like was said, are bigtime controlled, but it doesn't stop a blackmarket industry altogether. Its just that you can see wacky uncle Floyd a half mile away packing his 30 odd 6, coming to get ya, rather than a .38 tucked in his pocket and have more flee time.(I think he forgot to mention all of the knife crime somewhere.) :toothy3:

I've heard a stat that were I used to live in Northern Canada, there was a statistical similarity between there and Detroit of you getting shot. Some of that though is sqeued by all the gunshot suicides. Bigtime depressed native community, with hardcore substance abuse, and firearms everywhere because everyone (used to at least) hunts. I myself am metis so I have seen it first hand. I was an EMT, saw lots of gunshot trauma up there too, and not just suicide variety or accidents... I'd go to EMS conferences and I'd meet with guys from Detriot and LA and they told me they still hadn't seen a GSW yet. Food for thought huh? You can manipulate stats anyway you like I guess. Some may be bang on, others...:happy2:

Neildo
12/07/2007 6:54am,
lots of illegal guns...

http://thetyee.ca/News/2006/05/03/RisingTideGuns/

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20050815_110483_110483

or just fear mongering?

http://www.urbanvancouver.com/node/3102

i knew a scumbag in Surrey that had a small cache of handguns and dealt with HA's. There are more like him i'm sure.

justabill
12/07/2007 8:12am,
I found this quote odd:
"With Canada's reported violent-crime rate of 963 per 100,000 in 2003 (http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050721/d050721a.htm), a rate about twice the U.S.'s (which is 475) (http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?file=/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl01.xls), Canada's politicians are understandably nervous. "

It came from this article regarding Canadian gun control: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200508190817.asp

praetorian01
12/07/2007 8:40am,
Yup, its a tough one. Canadians THINK there is little gun crime... There was one stat that showed violent crime down in general, but homicides up. It would seem they are sending guys that are serious about getting the wet work done. Ouch. Payback is a bugger. We have a lot of gang/ drug related hits here. Some guy pulls up in traffic and gets it from another car mob style every now and then. Always some kind of hitjob, not just random mayhem.

Cassius
12/07/2007 9:46am,
How does Canada feel about assault rifles and/or carbines with pistol grips, red dot scopes, etc?

vigilus
12/07/2007 11:29am,
Praetorian (And justabill). The liberal government had their big head hunt with gun control, lots of funky stats and in some cases out right lies. When I was younger (and gave a ****) i used to have all the stats and cases of the government outright lying about stats to scare the public, make guns seem evil and bad and dangerous.

It wasn't millions wasted on the registration, it was over a billion. It's still all fucked up. I know at least 10 of the 14 registry cards I have for my guns are fucked up, missing information, have wrong information.

Cassius, depends who you ask.
Some will say whats th point of an assault rifle or paramilitary stuff? You can't (open to argument) use them for hunting so why even own them.
Others are just as in love with their weapons as our american brothers only that because the government made them to feel like monsters they are MUCH more low key and subtle about it.

Take a look at canadiangunnutz.com