PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Martial Arts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

The Question
12/03/2007 11:57am,
I jumped on the train with my gear bag slung over my shoulders, the words "kung fu academy" showing in bright yellow letters. As I got off at the stop, I was approached by this rather tall fellow.

"Yo, man, I see you train kung fu" he opened.
"****, how did he see that", I thought, but said nothing. I quickly replied
"No, man, I used to train kung fu, I quit though"
"So what do you do now"
"Muay Thai and Jiujitsu and whatnot, over at *school name* on *street name*, at that spot where *insert particulars*"
"Really, that's cool, man. I used to train in kung fu too, but quit because of some racial ****. I asked you because you a brotha, and I'm looking for a place where there are a lot of black people. ."
He continued, "I encountered some racial **** before, so I'm looking for places with an equal balance".

I contemplated, for the first time, the racial composition of the gym I train at. I then point out that the city has a majority of white people, and therefore it's not strange that a school has more white people than people from other races. I also mention that I have never seen any form of racism in MA at any school I've been at.

Before I thought to ask him of the specifics of the experience he had, we divert into a discussion of how most Kung Fu/TKD/Karate schools are garbage and how he should train MT/BJJ at my school.

So, does anyone have any first or second or third hand experiences of racism and such in MA practice? Because the issue really didnt' come to mind until this weekend.

Ke?poFist
12/03/2007 12:10pm,
Sorry, I dazed off while reading...was just contemplating how angry you'd get if I called you Bruce Leroy :)

MastaFighta
12/03/2007 12:20pm,
I haven't had any encounters with racism in Martial Arts, but it seems that the white supremists are taking it to MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxhx4d-w0k

The Question
12/03/2007 12:38pm,
Sorry, I dazed off while reading...was just contemplating how angry you'd get if I called you Bruce Leroy :)

You, sir, are a ************.

ka_ju_max
12/03/2007 12:43pm,
LOL, skinheads using fighting methods not invented by white men.

hoodedmonk
12/03/2007 12:46pm,
LOL, skinheads using fighting methods not invented by white men.The Greeks invented everything! LOL actually I was thinking the exact same thing.

hoodedmonk
12/03/2007 12:48pm,
However it was the jews that messed up krotty.

sempaiman
12/03/2007 12:49pm,
They are no different than the BFK (Black Karate Federation) or Chinese schools that only allow asians...

jkdbuck76
12/03/2007 12:53pm,
Back in the days of kuksool, we once had an asian gentleman say that he didn't want to join our class because it wasn't diverse enough. Meaning that all he saw were white folk practicing TMA. Of course, when I went to his family's store, I didn't see any non-asians working there.

What a hypocrite! We all bleed red.

Devil
12/03/2007 1:01pm,
"Really, that's cool, man. I used to train in kung fu too, but quit because of some racial ****. I asked you because you a brotha, and I'm looking for a place where there are a lot of black people. ."

He probably just got his ass kicked.

hoodedmonk
12/03/2007 1:10pm,
He probably just got his ass kicked.By "THE MAN"!

boondock lee
12/03/2007 1:10pm,
I never personally experienced any racism in MA. In my kuk sool days the majority of the class were white but they were nice people and not one of them looked down on me. My kung fu school is mostly black and hispanic with a couple of white students but there is no racial tension in the class.

hoodedmonk
12/03/2007 1:14pm,
Honestly, I have never witnessed any where I have trained.

Ke?poFist
12/03/2007 1:16pm,
You, sir, are a ************.

See ya in a few weeks sweety :D

FictionPimp
12/03/2007 1:19pm,
Well my coach sometimes coaches his Brazilian friend in portuguese so I don't know what he is telling him to do. That's kinda racist.

boondock lee
12/03/2007 1:21pm,
I haven't had any encounters with racism in Martial Arts, but it seems that the white supremists are taking it to MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxhx4d-w0k
Great, now I have to train harder so I can fight off MMA skinheads. LOL, they should be sticking to white man's MA.
:chewy: