PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Pages : [1] 2 3

EvilScott
12/02/2007 7:43pm,
Hey decided to join the forum - I was bored.

My name is Scott and I'm a student in Austin, TX. I have trained various TMA's for most of my life, but in college I roomed with a very good wrestler who showed me what I learned was crap. Since then its been BJJ (with some Wrestling, Muay Thai, and MMA mixed in) and I've never been happier (or in better shape).

I train with a guy who apparently posts a lot here, Hedgehogy, and beat his ass whenever he shows up. :evil4:

KungFuBot
12/02/2007 7:44pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, EvilScott, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

EvilScott
12/02/2007 7:48pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, EvilScott, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

If would be horrified if I got anything less.

boondock lee
12/03/2007 12:53pm,
so which TMA's did you practice before your switch to BJJ?

EvilScott
12/03/2007 1:19pm,
TKD, Wing Chun, Kenpo, Karate, Kung Fu (Iron Palm), Kali (if you consider that TMA)

BOXMAN
12/03/2007 1:23pm,
Kenpo was not effective? Was it Ed Parker or what kind?

Jadonblade
12/03/2007 2:01pm,
So would you describe yourself as a grappler now, or a all rounder?

EvilScott
12/03/2007 9:50pm,
krood: The Kenpo I took was basically the generic Karate/TKD/etc crap they teach in every McDojo. I was reprimanded in sparring once for utilizing a good jab.

Jadon: I'd describe myself as a grappler first and foremost. I am more accomplished in BJJ than any of my other arts (went to the Mundials in August and broke a dude's arm...then "lost" on points in the next match - I have vids of each so feel free to call BS) though I am comfortable standing with most people.

I'm 6'3" and 185 so I can utilize my reach standing, but I can also utilize my long legs for a very effective guard game. My height makes wrestling difficult though, and I'm working hard on fixing that.

Omega Supreme
12/03/2007 10:18pm,
Kenpo was not effective? Was it Ed Parker or what kind?

Dude what is your fucking obsession with Kempo?

So you know hedgehogey right? Is he as big of a ***** in real life as he is here!?

EvilScott
12/03/2007 10:23pm,
So you know hedgehogey right? Is he as big of a ***** in real life as he is here!?

LOL. Hedgehogey is an ... interesting guy. He's pretty hardcore when it comes to sparring - doesn't tap easy at all. His game is pretty slick but he needs to get on the mats more often.

I don't know how much of a ***** he is on here so I can't really make a comparison to IRL.

BOXMAN
12/03/2007 10:24pm,
Was interested in Kempo until I came here, why you ask?

EvilScott
12/03/2007 10:37pm,
ps. I noticed a "Motivational" Poster of Phil Elmore on the sidebar. When I was still fooled by TMAs, I trained Wing Chun in Syracuse, NY with that guy. edit: Not under him but we were both students at the same school.

Omega Supreme
12/03/2007 11:31pm,
Was interested in Kempo until I came here, why you ask?

You're just so obsessive about it. Kempo is the bastard child of CMA and JMA. If you find a decent instructor I would recommend it but they are few and far between.

Sam Browning
12/03/2007 11:39pm,
ps. I noticed a "Motivational" Poster of Phil Elmore on the sidebar. When I was still fooled by TMAs, I trained Wing Chun in Syracuse, NY with that guy. edit: Not under him but we were both students at the same school.

What was he like as a student and as a Wing Chun practicioner?

EvilScott
12/04/2007 12:09am,
Phil was pretty dedicated as a student, and very hardcore into SD. He was always trying new stuff. Also VERY big on knives. We did some Kali together as well. Neither of us were spectacular at WC, but looking back I don't really care.

He had some sort of deal with his eye where he couldn't do hard sparring (if he got hit in the head he could go blind) which sucked, but overall he was a very nice guy. Humble, good sense of humor, knowledgeable.

He was always a little paranoid, but his whole philosophy on SD was that nobody feels like they need it until **** goes down - then they wish they had it. He ALWAYS had MULTIPLE knives on his person.

EvilScott
12/04/2007 12:15am,
You're just so obsessive about it. Kempo is the bastard child of CMA and JMA. If you find a decent instructor I would recommend it but they are few and far between.

+1 - I don't know why anyone would actively seek out Kempo/Kenpo with so many better TMAs (and MAs in general) around.

Honestly, all the TKD/Karate/Kenpo stuff blends together anyway. And it is all useless once I hit my double-leg.

I understand if people want to take TMAs for the cultural or spiritual aspects (even though at most schools these aspects are mostly falsified), or even for some light fitness or coordination. But for real self-defense or actual fighting skills TMAs are kind of silly.

I look at TMAs like I look at Olympic Fencing - its a good sport but I'll laugh at you if you think you could use it IRL in a hostile situation.