PDA

View Full Version : Why I sword fight

Ronin
10/28/2003 3:40pm,
Why Kenjutsu ????
My friend asked me this question over the weekend while admiring my collection of ancient weapons, in particular my katanas.
I devote 1 of my 3-5 workouts to kenjutsu, yet I am more found of it than any other of the Martial Arts I have studied, why he asked?
Well, for starters, NOTHING makes me feel more “deadly” than swing a razor sharp sword :)
I admit it, it feels cool :)
But, truthfully, kenjutsu has made me a better MA than I could have hoped.
You see things from a perspective of pure combat, mortal combat.
There are 3 possible outcomes in kenjutsu:
1- You kill the enemy
2- He kills you
3- Both of you die

2 out of the 3 options result in YOUR death.

Gives you an interesting point of view on things.
When training you deal with a “live” blade, that is to say, a very sharp balde, you make a mistake, you draw blood, worst sometimes. Or you partner train with a hardwood sword ( sometimes a real one, but more often a wooden one), this hunk of wood ZOOMS by your wrists, your forehead, every part of your body, very, very fast. This gives you a very unique perspective on making the slightest mistake.

Why do I like kenjutsu?
It is fast, intense, takes me to the next level, and you get to where a hakama !!!
The mental part of kenjutsu has made me a better martial artist and the fact that we also fight with knives, makes me a more complete fighter.

Even something as “out of date” or “archaic” as kenjutsu can make us better fighters and, for sure, better Martial artists.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

HAPKO3
10/28/2003 3:43pm,
Sword fighting is lots of fun.

Now I'm not crazy enough to spar with a live blade, but I do have a couple of friends doing different sword arts, and when I get around to Boston, I practice with them on occasion.

One thing that always struck me in swordfighting is that if you're willing to give up your life, you ***will*** kill the oponent. That makes you think long and hard. I played around with this quite a bit. If when my opponent attacks I chose not to block, I will decapitate him with ease.

Scary.

Ronin
10/28/2003 3:46pm,
Its a great paradox, that once you give up dwelling on winning, your chances of survival increase.

The Crack Taoist
10/28/2003 3:55pm,
Originally posted by ronin69

You see things from a perspective of pure combat, mortal combat.
There are 3 possible outcomes in kenjutsu:
1- You kill the enemy
2- He kills you
3- Both of you die

2 out of the 3 options result in YOUR death.

Gives you an interesting point of view on things.
When training you deal with a “live” blade, that is to say, a very sharp balde, you make a mistake, you draw blood, worst sometimes. Or you partner train with a hardwood sword ( sometimes a real one, but more often a wooden one), this hunk of wood ZOOMS by your wrists, your forehead, every part of your body, very, very fast. This gives you a very unique perspective on making the slightest mistake.

Why do I like kenjutsu?
It is fast, intense, takes me to the next level...

Fast and intense.. there is a quote from "The Long Run"
by Daniel Keys Morgan that goes
"Faster and faster, till the thrill of speed overcomes the
fear of death".
Knife/sword arts (and stick arts that are fake swords)
are incredibly cool for precisely the reasons you mentioned.
Speed, timing, distance. And awesome negative feedbakc if
you do not learn quickly!
I heard a similar set of odds to yours from my FMA teacher.
His emphasis however was subtley different.

"In a true, lethal fight, all else being equal the "Rule of
Thirds" comes into play.

There is a 1/3 chance you die and he lives.
There is a 1/3 chance he dies and you live.
There is a 1/3 chance you both die.

The good news is that 2/3 of the time.. he's gonna die."

Psycho isn't it?

Ronin
10/28/2003 3:58pm,
no, just reality as it deals with trained fighter holding weapons.

Ronin
10/28/2003 4:37pm,
One of the great ones, Otake Sensei: