PDA

View Full Version : new to the site

Carol Womack
11/30/2007 1:53pm,
Hello,

Just joined the site, I'm looking forward to exploring it more, theres LOTS to look at.

Carol Womack

TKDBot
11/30/2007 1:54pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Carol Womack... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Sam Browning
11/30/2007 2:44pm,
Welcome Carol, how long have you been studying Isshin-Ryu. Also please read Arron Boyd's article "Not Without My Justice" which should appear on the right sidebar. Please feel free to disagree with Mr. Boyd should you choose so.

E-Van
11/30/2007 3:11pm,
A good friend of mine has done Isshin-Ryu for many years. Very nice style.

Carol Womack
11/30/2007 4:03pm,
Thanks for the welcome...
I've been studying Isshinryu for 25 years, 20 of those years under my sensei A.J. Advincula, first generation student of Tatsuo Shimabuku. I also study an Okinawa style of kobudo called Ryu Kon Kai taught by Iha Kotaro Sensei for the last 12 years and the ACE System of Escrima from A.J. Advincula for 20 years.
I read the article 'not without my justice'. Very long but creative. I know those mentioned other than the author, but can't really say I agree or not, I feel that what one get's out of training with particular individuals is subjective. I think if your not happy with your sensei or the style just follow the principles '50 ways to leave your sensei'. Find one that works and then find what is right for you. One should always be careful about public critisism, I am a firm believer in the development of character that should be emphasised in the martial arts: Courtesy and Respect.

Phrost
11/30/2007 4:41pm,
Hi Carol, you'd probably be more happy here:

www.MartialArtsPlanet.com

Martial Arts are about fighting, and things such as "courtesy" and "respect" are not only completely incidental, but often given so much unnecessary importance that they're exploited so as to hide a fraudulent lack of fighting ability.

Thanks.

E-Van
11/30/2007 5:12pm,
Hi Carol, you'd probably be more happy here:

www.MartialArtsPlanet.com (http://www.MartialArtsPlanet.com)

Martial Arts are about fighting, and things such as "courtesy" and "respect" are not only completely incidental, but often given so much unnecessary importance that they're exploited so as to hide a fraudulent lack of fighting ability.

Thanks.

I love how you waste no time greeting the new members with open arms Phrost. God I love you.

Carol Womack
11/30/2007 7:55pm,
Thanks for the link Phrost - you may be right as some sites have seasoned martial artists who talk fighting technique and some are dominated by mouth warriors - which are you? No disrespect intended...

Martial arts (martial referring to military or art of war) came from Asia and with that they each have a common goal, either to defeat a person or defend oneself. To understand completely martial arts you need to understand Asian culture to some degree. Some martial arts are linked to spiritual or religious beliefs/philosophies such as Buddhism or Shinto while others have their own spiritual/non-spiritual code of honor. Courtesy and respect won't define your fighting ability it defines your character. So for you those things may be incidental.

Lu Tze
11/30/2007 8:14pm,
What about boxing and wrestling? Why would I need to understand Asian culture to understand those martial arts? In fact, my coaches know next to **** all about Japanese culture, but I'm fairly confident they understand quite a lot about Judo.

I already have courtesy and respect, I was taught them as a child... by my parents. I don't need some bearded old fart telling me I need fucking "disciprin", and if people need to be taught those things in a dojo then I'd suggest their character is quite severly lacking, not mine.

Wolf
11/30/2007 8:28pm,
Thanks for the link Phrost - you may be right as some sites have seasoned martial artists who talk fighting technique and some are dominated by mouth warriors - which are you? No disrespect intended...

Martial arts (martial referring to military or art of war) came from Asia and with that they each have a common goal, either to defeat a person or defend oneself. To understand completely martial arts you need to understand Asian culture to some degree. Some martial arts are linked to spiritual or religious beliefs/philosophies such as Buddhism or Shinto while others have their own spiritual/non-spiritual code of honor. Courtesy and respect won't define your fighting ability it defines your character. So for you those things may be incidental.

This is a myth that has been perpetuated in western culture to help sell Asian MA's. There have been systems of fighting west of asia around just as long as the asian ones (i think that sentence makes sense).

SFGOON
11/30/2007 8:29pm,
Mostly here we just like to beat other people's asses. In a community where that ability is commonplace, respect and courtesy occur out of necessity.

Sam Browning
11/30/2007 8:52pm,
www.bohans-family.com/Warrior2/Warrior2/wolmac/wol.htm

http://www.okinawabudokai.org/womack.html

Those are you right?

Phrosty, get back here and show some friggen respect. She isn't exactly a soccer mom.

JohnnyCache
12/01/2007 2:35am,
The only seasoning you'll find around the average map poster is the MSG in the cheap asian food they take to anime night at the third-run.

IndoChinese
12/01/2007 2:50am,
run, Carol, run...