PDA

View Full Version : Knives and Such...

Pages : [1] 2 3

datdamnmachine
11/29/2007 10:31pm,
So anyway, I've been looking around for some good solid knives. I'm looking for something that would make a quality survival knife as well as a potential combat/tactical knife if need be. That may require two separate knives but that is why I'm writing this. The next thing I was looking for was a quality machete for those times when a regular knife just won't cut it (yeah...pun...I know). Lastly, I was looking into some tactical (I hear that term can be very, very relative) folders.

Some of my goals, quality without breaking the bank. Avoiding cheaply built products and cheaply built products disguised as quality products. If anyone can point me in the right direction with regards to products and their experiences with said products then I would more then appreciate it. I've looked at products from SOG Knives (Tech Bowie), Tops Knives (Longhorn Bowie, Steel Eagle, Marine Heat) for the basic fixed blade. I've looked into Benchmade's 10100 LFK (Long Folding Knife) for a folder. The blade is actually longer then the handle; it uses a automatic flip out fin to rest the longer than handle blade. As for a machete...who knows!

Also, I was wondering if anyone has had a custom knife maker create anything for them. I've seen the prices for such custom work and they are off the charts. At the same time, I hear the quality is leaps and bounds ahead of a mass manufactured knife. But this comes from research done on the interweb so I'm looking for first hand experience. Thank you in advance.

SFGOON
11/29/2007 11:03pm,
If you want a great all rounder, get one of the smaller Yarboroughs. They're brilliant. K-Bars are good all rounders too.

datdamnmachine
11/29/2007 11:53pm,
If you want a great all rounder, get one of the smaller Yarboroughs. They're brilliant. K-Bars are good all rounders too.

I take it this is the one you are speaking of:

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greencombo.jpg

I've looked at this one as well. It on my "to check into list". Because of your recommendation, I might have to put a few stars next to it for a potential purchase.

SFGOON
11/30/2007 12:01am,
Right. Just take care you don't wear that around post. (Lewis?) The SpecOps guys there will be highly annoyed with you - that knife is awarded to a soldier when he gets his longtab and I think they're required to wear it with their class A's.

Pardon me, the blues.

datdamnmachine
11/30/2007 12:14am,
Right. Just take care you don't wear that around post. (Lewis?) The SpecOps guys there will be highly annoyed with you - that knife is awarded to a soldier when he gets his longtab and I think they're required to wear it with their class A's.

Pardon me, the blues.

Yeah, I was reading about that online. Interesting, the SF guys must really have a high opinion of that knife to award it to recruits who pass. Well fortunately I am no longer in the service so that's not an issue. Besides, it will mainly be used for outdoor, emergency, and general (oh ****, anarchy) type stuff. Besides, I remember the fuss that was made when the are switched to the black beret. Not pretty.

ar549
11/30/2007 12:17am,
If your going for inexspensive but quality here is a couple ideas for you. First thing is stick with "Ontario" for machetes Made in America of 1095 Steel, avoid the 3mm 1055 blades made off shore as prices are similar but the qaulity is not. The price over the net is super cheep for Ontario right now at under 20 bucks and there is a short machete that would make a great camp knife made by them.

For field knives I suggest soemthing more in tune with the Ray Mears or Bushcraft, not the barbed up giant and heavy stuff you see advertised. I like the Puukkos and that but they have no guard and I like all knives to have some kind of guard on the bottom to keep your fingers on the grip. If your cool with that a Puukko can be bout very economically, heres a link to a Puukko blog that is very detailed,,,,,,,,,

http://finnish-puukko.blogspot.com/

Or you could go for something like this and put your own guard and pommel on it,,,,

http://www.raymears.com/shop_item_desc.cfm?id=427&itemType=Cutting%20Tools&desc=Hand_Forged_Knife_Blade

http://www.raymears.com/getimg.cfm?img=Hand%5FForged%5FKnife%5FBlade%2Ejpg

You seem to already know about the major branded knives available so I will skip that. A combat knife, a field knife, and a machete are three separate things, they may be able to function at the others job but can never replace each other by doing the job they were created for better than the original tool.

ar549
11/30/2007 12:30am,
datdamnmachine,,,,,,, I just sent you a PM with a link to some some good deals on custom knives, You may consider taking some kind of class to learn how to make one or just getting a Kit Knife from knifekits.com,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.knifekit.com/kk_1mainframe.htm

mad_malk
11/30/2007 1:36am,
(http://www.mdtactical.com/maddog.htm)

Mad Dog Knifes. Cost a bit more but the qualtity is there.
http://www.mdtactical.com/maddog.htm

datdamnmachine
11/30/2007 3:18am,
datdamnmachine,,,,,,, I just sent you a PM with a link to some some good deals on custom knives, You may consider taking some kind of class to learn how to make one or just getting a Kit Knife from knifekits.com,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.knifekit.com/kk_1mainframe.htm

Thanks for the info. I guess the search continues...

The main goal of the knife would be mainly for survival purposes. One of the things I took from my reading and information gathering is that a good solid knife will help you out in that particular kind of situation. I'm not expecting the knife to do all the jobs well, but if it can do the survival part better then the rest, the hunting part better then most and the protecting part at least good enough NOT to fall apart on me when needed then I'm a happy man. Either that or look into purchasing a whole lot of knives (which I may end up doing anyway).

1 machete
1 survival knife
1 hunting knife
1 tactical knife
1 folder
1 multi-tool

Price of all these...ouch!

Well, regardless, I believe in all case, a good folder, multi-tool, and machete are probably a must have in a "oh ****, I'm assed out" kind of situation. But that's just me. The fixed blade is important, but it seems that one will take a lot longer to find one of good quality then the other items.

Ah well, I guess that's what Christmas is for...getting others to pay for the things you want. Keep the information coming, I honestly didn't expect this much of a response in such a small amount of time. It's given me a lot to think of.

ar549
11/30/2007 4:03am,
(http://www.mdtactical.com/maddog.htm)

Mad Dog Knifes. Cost a bit more but the qualtity is there.
http://www.mdtactical.com/maddog.htm

Kevin is some kind of nut, just read that crap he wrote about being CIA as a kid, or whatever all that crap he was on about a few years ago plus the prices are just way to high for some molded on handle ground out blade with no character.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/1561291420/002-1549140-9445633?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846

From Kirkus Reviews
Spellbinding autobiography of a child prodigy--gifted in the black arts of weaponry--who enters the shadow world of international-arms sales. Raised in the San Francisco Bay area in the late 60's, McClung was the son of an aeronautical engineering genius and gave early proof of his own prodigious grip on ``mechanix'' by secretly building a complex electric rifle when he was four. McClung was accepted by the Bay area's genius education program for ``Mentally Gifted Minors,'' whose special scientific projects were constantly sifted by the CIA for ideas--with the best projects (including McClung's vest for bugging and eavesdropping) stolen and passed on to CIA scientists. At 14, McClung met OSS-CIA master spy John Colling, who taught him the basics of spy-craft. Then falconer and top CIA assassin Ray Goodreau taught him about falconry and animal training, unconventional weapons, and commando tactics; McClung had already shaped his body into a lethal weapon through the martial arts. Goodreau also sharpened him into a remorseless anticommunist death-dealer. Eventually, McClung fell in with Marty Rhymer, a CIA wire-man, and Gabe Margolis, a boorish Mossad commando, who together had formed Amida Ltd., later a CIA secret business whose cover was selling weapons, uniforms and support gear to California law enforcement agencies but which quickly became a feast of international arms dealing. McClung refined a new Diplomat poison- tipped pen-gun, and, with his deadly book-gun (a copy of The Book of the Dead that fired bullets) and always accurate laser rifle, etc., etc. (diagrams for many of the weapons are given), became the company's chief inventor of killer ``toys.'' Then Ibriham Haddad, fat and perfumed king of arms dealers, invaded Amida and took it over, adding his own poison to Amida's already irredeemably corrupt juices. When Amida set up McClung to be assassinated, he hid out in the wilds for three years and abandoned dealing death downward from the top of the food chain. The rotten underbelly of US Intelligence, grippingly sliced open. Film rights sold. -- Copyright 1991, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved.

mad_malk
11/30/2007 7:37pm,
I don't care if the guy is clinicl insane his blades are of some of the best quality i have ever seen. I have personaly used a old mad dog to cut open a car roof just like in his demmo. THe car was going to scrap and we where bored. If you do attempt this i suggest useing something other then a mag light. collapsed batton or something similar in strong contruction.

If his newer products are stillof the same high qulity then his price's are worth it. I have owned sog benchmade etc. Only the bench mades i have have come any where close to holding up to being tortured in the field hunting.

some one does manufacture a LOng KNife in the style of the gurka knife thats long enough to work as a machette but short enough to be used as a regular field knife. Thats what i would realy like but can't find hte manufacturer any more.

SFGOON
11/30/2007 8:08pm,
I just checked out Chris Reeve's site for the first time in years. Generally I think Knives are pretty faggoty and don't care if I have a 2" MRE opener or an 9" MRE opener, but this is pretty cool.

Got 300$?

http://www.chrisreeve.com/pacific.jpg

gothamator
11/30/2007 8:29pm,
Thanks for the info. I guess the search continues...

The main goal of the knife would be mainly for survival purposes. One of the things I took from my reading and information gathering is that a good solid knife will help you out in that particular kind of situation. I'm not expecting the knife to do all the jobs well, but if it can do the survival part better then the rest, the hunting part better then most and the protecting part at least good enough NOT to fall apart on me when needed then I'm a happy man. Either that or look into purchasing a whole lot of knives (which I may end up doing anyway).

1 machete
1 survival knife
1 hunting knife
1 tactical knife
1 folder
1 multi-tool

Price of all these...ouch!

Well, regardless, I believe in all case, a good folder, multi-tool, and machete are probably a must have in a "oh ****, I'm assed out" kind of situation. But that's just me. The fixed blade is important, but it seems that one will take a lot longer to find one of good quality then the other items.

Ah well, I guess that's what Christmas is for...getting others to pay for the things you want. Keep the information coming, I honestly didn't expect this much of a response in such a small amount of time. It's given me a lot to think of.

Geez, that is a tall order. Except for the multi-tool||folder. I suggest a good bowie style knife. I've cut down small trees with my Cold Steel version and it will still shave. A big knife can do everything a little knife can. The reverse is not true.....

SuperGuido
11/30/2007 8:30pm,
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cold Steel.

Yeah, they have a bunch of **** fantasy blades...but my friends and I in the Marines beat the hell out of the Ghurka Kukri and Recon Tanto...and those blades still kept an edge and didn't bend out of shape. You can typically find them for under a $100 at swap meets, trade shows, or even during sales at knife/gun shops.

SuperGuido
11/30/2007 8:30pm,
Ha, one minute prior to my post someone mentions Cold Steel. Go figure.

datdamnmachine
11/30/2007 10:32pm,
Geez, that is a tall order. Except for the multi-tool||folder. I suggest a good bowie style knife. I've cut down small trees with my Cold Steel version and it will still shave. A big knife can do everything a little knife can. The reverse is not true.....

That's what I've been looking into. Been keeping an eye out on the quality bowie knives, full tang construction, good quality handle. I've found a few solid ones but don't quite have the money yet for them. I've been thinking about going custom and have someone build it old school for me but that's going to cost ass loads of cash. One guy I found online makes not only custom knives but folders, swords, and daggers two. Both display stuff and usable pieces as well. He's pricey though, but I'd imagine that most custom knife makers are.

The folder is mainly for size constraints, as you can fit that in a small kit were as you might have a problem with a larger fixed blade. The multi-tool is one of the best purchases I made while in the military (until I let someone borrow it and never saw it again...bastard). When you need something to do a lot of small jobs at once, the multi-tool wins almost all the time. It won't handle the harder stuff but it's a bit more compact then a roll up tool set.