PDA

View Full Version : Montana BJJ?

fishead
11/28/2007 10:44pm,
Live in Missoula, Montana

I am not affiliated with any school or style.

When I was 16 I was turned off to MA because my cousin, after 3 months of training in Tae Kwon Do, was claiming he knowed 200 ways to kill a man. It just turned me off because it was a strange thing to say.

Fast forward to 36 years, I was teaching wrestling to kids and I met a 12 year old kid trained in Ju-Jitsu at a school in California. I was impressed with his takedowns. He loved grappling and wrestling.

Anyway...I realized I know nothing about ju-jitsu. From lurking on the forums, there seems to be a lot of crap out there and without any knowledge, it is easy to get sucked in.

Looking for a descent Montana gym in BJJ and boxing that doesn't require a gi (I can't afford one). I can't find any on the gym reviews. Maybe I have to look harder?

KungFuBot
11/28/2007 10:45pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, fishead. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

godaigo
11/30/2007 5:45pm,
I think that Dogpound doesn't require a gi, I've never trained there, just seen the website and that they compete in some competitions in MT. www.dogpoundfighting.com

fishead
12/02/2007 2:22pm,
Thanks godaigo, I'll check it out. I'll check out Sakura also. I don't know anything about MA, so it should be an experience.

JohnnyCache
12/02/2007 3:43pm,
There are also gis that don't cost as much as the ZOMG PATCHES BJJ gis

basic ones start around 40 bucks.

fishead
12/02/2007 3:52pm,
Thanks, sounds good. I can afford it.

What do all the patches mean anyways?

godaigo
12/02/2007 4:17pm,
I had a friend who went to Sakura for a while he said it was pretty rough, but it sounded like in a good way, if that makes sense. From what I've heard and read ( I think there's a Jim Harrison thread on Bullshido) he's the real deal. Good luck!

JohnnyCache
12/03/2007 7:24am,
Thanks, sounds good. I can afford it.

What do all the patches mean anyways?

Mostly they mean "we're not as uptight as the japanese martial arts people" and "here's stuff you can buy" and "this is the gym I go to"

acrylicace
5/23/2008 11:02am,
fishead, did you ever decide on a place to train in Missoula? I am moving back there shortly and am looking for a good place to train. I would be interested to hear what you decided and maybe a review of the place you decided on.

Thanks!
-AcrylicAce

BTW: I would PM but I don't think it lets me because I am a newb or something...