PDA

View Full Version : tkd to muay thai

kppgno
11/27/2007 11:10pm,
alright i decided...after one year of taekwondo .... ihave got better kicks, but ...i cant take it... its all the same everything....learning patterns gets annoying and i dont like paying $60 for a new belt...

now im doing muay thai... i love it...it great...thers actually PAIN... i love how we condition the thighs...the trainer gets that big stick and we gotta bring our knee up while he comes down with it... and im actually learnning how to fight , and many techniques( no offense to TKD, but its not really much of a self-defense martial art)

Babachewy
11/27/2007 11:35pm,
Welcome to the dark side. Your ex-TKD packet is in the mail. It has a swell pattern for turning your dobok into towels.

DaChinkOfSteel
11/28/2007 3:53pm,
Welcome to the club...

kppgno
11/28/2007 10:07pm,
hey guys thanks for welcoming me :) i actually joined in the summer but...rarely posted...ill be on more often

The Question
11/28/2007 11:46pm,
Welcome! I am a former Kung Fu man, myself. It was worse for me though, I couldn't get along with my instructors.

i love how we condition the thighs...the trainer gets that big stick and we gotta bring our knee up while he comes down with it...

Is this really a viable method of conditioning?

Also, come on, a little bit of motherfucking punctuation please. It makes my reading easier, do it for me, please?

chi-conspiricy
11/29/2007 1:11am,
Another looses his virginity to the pain of a real martial art.

Tanhalen21
11/29/2007 2:38am,
I'm a former kung fu guy too. I train with an ex-TKD guy at my MMA gym and his kicks hurt, a lot.

cyril
11/29/2007 8:56am,
I'm a former kung fu guy too. I train with an ex-TKD guy at my MMA gym and his kicks hurt, a lot.

The kicks can be good, but the training can be suck.

I've often heard there's a problem with the transition from TKD to MT because of chambering the kicks. Any experience with this?

:XXspam:

scorchedearth
11/29/2007 9:00am,
Good to hear you're achieving your goals in self defense. The reasons you presented are the same ones that prompted me to switch to MT from Systema.

I want to learn to truly defend myself instead of just doing compliant drills. The drills are fun but I am not accomplishing the goal that I set out to when I began training.

Cheers. :)

Kintanon
11/29/2007 9:05am,
I spent a WAY longer time in TKD and the MT classes I've taken are frustrating because of the whole chambered kicking thing. It takes a lot of work for me to stop that chambering reflex. So yeah, it is a pain in the ass. But after just a year it shouldn't be too ingrained.