PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: What's up with the BJJ handsign?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shawarma
11/24/2007 8:10pm,
I feel like a fuckwad for asking this, but where does the BJJ handsign come from? Is it a Brazillian thing or something?

I am talking about this:
http://users.skynet.be/brazjjbelgfederation/BJJ%20luxembourg%202004%20bis.jpg
The thumbs-up with extended pinky. Anyone know?

Munacra
11/24/2007 8:28pm,
aloha dudes

kwoww
11/24/2007 8:30pm,
This isn't a BJJ thing. AFAIK surfers in Hawai'i and California do it, it sorta kinda means "hang loose." I guess BJJers like to surf.

Fighting Cephalopod
11/24/2007 10:47pm,
Most of the Gracies, Rickson especially, love surfing, and a big portion of the initial wave of Brazilian BJJ immigrants went to California, so you see a lot of cross-pollination in terms of subculture. It's one of the reasons board shorts and rash guards are the de facto uniform of no-gi.

Tanhalen21
11/24/2007 10:50pm,
It makes me so furious.

Devil
11/25/2007 12:36am,
I've noticed fellow BJJ guys doing this on many occasions and have wondered if they were Hawaiians in former lives, or what the **** is going on. Please, for the love of Christ, if you do this - STOP NOW. You look like a fucking retard.

Tanhalen21
11/25/2007 12:38am,
I've noticed fellow BJJ guys doing this on many occasions and have wondered if they were Hawaiians in former lives, or what the **** is going on. Please, for the love of Christ, if you do this - STOP NOW. You look like a fucking retard.

THANK YOU.:5arg:

Roidie McDouchebag
11/25/2007 1:50am,
It's one of the reasons board shorts and rash guards are the de facto uniform of no-gi.

It's gi pants (and I'm talking, got'em from the second hand store gi pants, here)/sweatpants and a tshirt for me, **** paying for that fancy ****. They rip? So what, back to the Sally Ann.

As for the hang loose faggotry, there's only one appropriate hand gesture in response...

http://www.bluehatseo.com/images/middle_finger_flame.jpg

Neildo
11/25/2007 7:40pm,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_sign

Fighting Cephalopod
11/25/2007 9:40pm,
It's gi pants (and I'm talking, got'em from the second hand store gi pants, here)/sweatpants and a tshirt for me,

I fucking hate rolling with people wearing t-shirts. The number of times I've gotten toes and fingers twisted up in the fabric is ridiculous.

snowman
11/25/2007 11:01pm,
10 buck Target rashies fo' lyfe!

Roidie McDouchebag
11/26/2007 12:54am,
I fucking hate rolling with people wearing t-shirts. The number of times I've gotten toes and fingers twisted up in the fabric is ridiculous.

When that happens to someone, I'll unwrap it with my own hands, regardless of what's going on, if they choke me or whatever while I'm doing it, I don't care, I know it's annoying.

erki
11/26/2007 3:36am,
Around here the sign means "five beers for the sawmill guys".

UpaLumpa
11/26/2007 10:22am,
When that happens to someone, I'll unwrap it with my own hands, regardless of what's going on, if they choke me or whatever while I'm doing it, I don't care, I know it's annoying.

You know, you can get decent "board shirts" and "rash guards" for about 15 bucks a piece (max) at Target.

conorjs13
11/26/2007 10:30am,
I wear a tshirt for no-gi, but I'm a big medium for a normal shirt and my team shirts run tight - I even tend towards wearing a small when I fight. I don't think anyone has ever had digits get stuck in the cloth.

Roidie McDouchebag
11/26/2007 11:59am,
You know, you can get decent "board shirts" and "rash guards" for about 15 bucks a piece (max) at Target.

You know, they don't have Target in Canada. :)

I should check out Walmart, but until very recently, $15 was 2 packs of smokes to me and shirts are $1 at Salvation Army, but sadly, no rashguards. But I just quit, so my disposable income shot up by $300/month, I'll have to check out Walmart.