PDA

View Full Version : TMA UFC

Pages : [1] 2

Sudoraba
10/26/2003 7:08am,
Lets imagine that the following martial arts never entered the picture... Bjj, MT, wrestling, boxing, and sambo.

Using oldschool UFC rules, what styles would have probably won the first couple of UFCs?

Karate styles?
Judo, JJJ?
CMAs?
FMAs (baring weapons of course)?
Silat?
Kino Mutai (though most techniques were probably illegal)
any others you could think of...

Toby Christensen
10/26/2003 7:24am,
Eritrean Headbutting (Testa/Reisy)
Freestyle Wrestling
Greco-Roman Wrestling
Boxing
Shotokan Karate
Jeet Kune Do
Glima
BJJ/JJJ
Bagua Zhan
Cornish Wrestling
Backhold Wrestling
Cumberland Wrestling

Erm, that's all I can think of

PizDoff
10/26/2003 11:04am,
Turkish wrestling!!!

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/ca?vc=&p=turkish+wrestling

(Re: Link. WTF! I've never seen such.......wrongness.)

The Wastrel
10/26/2003 11:31am,
Th Turks actually produce some seriously dangerous wrestlers.

Looks like a really nicely executed throw counter that is going to land Mr. Green Pants in side control.
http://www.turkishwrestling.com/TF6/06-1-94.jpg

The Wastrel
10/26/2003 11:34am,
I'm going to have to try this sometime.

http://www.turkishwrestling.com/TF6/06-3mini.jpg

PizDoff
10/26/2003 12:04pm,
Heh, I was just going off Spastic's wrestling list there.

The Wastrel
10/26/2003 12:16pm,
There was a Pencak Silat guy in the second (?) UFC. CMAs is too broad a category, as would be JMAs, which no one seems to use because they are well aware of the distinctions.

My guesses....

Kyokushin Karate, Judo, some San Shou competitors...

I can't really answer this question well because I don't like to separate an art's pure technique/principles from it's training methods. So even though FMAs seem to have really good techniques/principles, I don't know anything about how they train, so can make no judgment either way. The ones I chose are ones about which I know enough to know that they train to a necessary level of intensity.

Punisher
10/26/2003 12:46pm,
"Lets imagine that the following martial arts never entered the picture... Bjj, MT, wrestling, boxing, and sambo.

Using oldschool UFC rules, what styles would have probably won the first couple of UFCs?"

My guess the the ones that are closest to the three major players in MMA today MT, wrestling, and BJJ.

If it was just like UFC one and no one had ever done this before, I'd give the nod to Judo (Yoshida does just fine in Pride) or some kind of wrestling.

If some hard striking art guy was smart enough to actually research the possible competition and train for and spar against highly trained grapplers he might have a chance. In this case I'd give San Shou and Judo an even playing field and say the result was up to chance.

The Crack Taoist
10/26/2003 1:45pm,
I can't see a pure FMA style faring well.
It's like asking an engineer who is also
a paramedic to perform open heart surgery.

PizDoff
10/26/2003 3:38pm,
Originally posted by The Wastrel
I can't really answer this question well because I don't like to separate an art's pure technique/principles from it's training methods. So even though FMAs seem to have really good techniques/principles, I don't know anything about how they train, so can make no judgment either way. The ones I chose are ones about which I know enough to know that they train to a necessary level of intensity.

Good post.

Clash77
10/26/2003 10:09pm,
Toss up between Tae Bo and Yellow Bamboo

Blad3
10/26/2003 10:14pm,
You really shouldn've said Judo...it practically is BJJ visa versa. So Judo. If not Judo then full contact karate, maybe "sport" JJJ...

PizDoff
10/27/2003 12:10am,
Actually guys, I think Joe Son Do might have done well back then.

Wu De
10/27/2003 3:33am,
Shaolin would win of course (^_^)

kikkoman893
10/27/2003 5:59pm,
some of that flipipino nerve destruction **** fo sho!

kikkoman893
10/27/2003 6:00pm,
and that turkish wrestling sure looks fun...*wink*

;) :rolleyes: