PDA

View Full Version : Hip Bump

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
11/16/2007 10:16am,
I see this term all over the place in Gitmo and DHS when discussing closed guard work and I was just wondering what it meant? I'm wondering if it's something that I'm familiar with by a different name or a sweep I don't know or what? I tried searching but got nothing.

For an example of the context it's used in look here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1629637&postcount=2

Kintanon
11/16/2007 10:20am,
The hip bump sweep that I was taught is from closed guard you sit up into your opponent, then open your guard and sort of stand up into them, pushing them with your hips. At the same time you latch onto one of their arms like you're trying to get a Kimura. You use that arm with the pushing from your hips to drag them over onto their back. If they drive into you you drop back to full guard with the Kimura and try to finish them that way.

My descriptions aren't the best, but you should get the idea.

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=1986 <--- Lockflow has the awesome, as usual.

ViciousFlamingo
11/16/2007 10:28am,
It's also called the sit-up sweep. What Kintanon said, except I don't think the page he linked to on Lockflow isn't as good as this one:
http://lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=1299

Also check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5eGjpGxAk

The important part that the first link missed was that you need to bring your arm over, like you're going for a kimura, so you can trap his arm on the side you're sitting up. If you don't trap his arm, he can post out and push you back down. Also, bringing your arm over leaves your other arm free to push off the ground so you can sit up easier.

The hip bump sweep is one of the truly basic sweeps you should know from closed guard. If you don't know it, learn it immediately. Like, next class.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
11/16/2007 11:47am,
Aww damnit, I knew it as the sit up sweep, there was me thinking it might be some new exciting exotic basic move and it's actually one of my three favourite sweeps already :( NO new exciting shininess for me today.

UpaLumpa
11/16/2007 6:27pm,
While I prefer a figure four grip as mentioned by the tkd guy, as long as you take away the opponent's ability to post you'll have success with this. It is probably the first sweep people have success with and one of the first that people learn to defend (by having a decent base and posture). Despite the initial drop in efficacy, I've of late had a lot of success with the sweep on very solid blues. A lot of it is of course set up.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
11/16/2007 7:22pm,
While I prefer a figure four grip as mentioned by the tkd guy, as long as you take away the opponent's ability to post you'll have success with this. It is probably the first sweep people have success with and one of the first that people learn to defend (by having a decent base and posture). Despite the initial drop in efficacy, I've of late had a lot of success with the sweep on very solid blues. A lot of it is of course set up.

Of the three sweeps I like this is the one it's not that common for me to get it in Judo, usually when I have someone in my guard they tend to drive in and try to pass as quickly as possible (Judo rules) so the first thing that goes out of the window then is posturing up, it's silly but true, I tend to have more success with scissor and really messy butterfly/push-leg-out/elevate/pretend thats a real technique before they realise sweeps.

The chance I tend to find for it comes when I fake a collar choke and they try to posture out of it, then they open up for the sweep. Not sure if anyone else has any experience applying this in Judo?

KayRoc
11/16/2007 7:34pm,
That is my fav sweep... I call it the Kimura sweep just to remember it easily. And you dont need to drop both feet, just the one on the offside of the arm you are sweeping/locking. If he leans against your sweep, fine, sit back with your figure four grip, throw that leg over his back and kimura that ****.

UpaLumpa
11/16/2007 7:57pm,
Good point. In fact keeping one leg up is better for the sweep too.

UpaLumpa
11/16/2007 7:59pm,
I classify this with my shamu pass as too stupidly simple to work as well as it does.

Das Moose
11/16/2007 8:42pm,
Shamu pass? Do tell.

ViciousFlamingo
11/16/2007 11:23pm,
The chance I tend to find for it comes when I fake a collar choke and they try to posture out of it, then they open up for the sweep. Not sure if anyone else has any experience applying this in Judo?

I had the same experience, which is why I found the pendulum sweep, scissor sweep, and basic subs from guard much more effective. However, when I was working on the sit-up sweep, I did exactly what you were doing, attacking to get them to posture up, then going for the sweep. I would attack with the collar choke, or even better just get one cross-grip and trap one of his arms to my chest and swing my hips out like I was going for an armbar. As soon as he reacts, I'd either fake for a pendulum sweep and then go to the sit-up sweep or sit up immediately into the sweep. Pretty much any of the basic subs from guard require the guy to escape properly by posturing up, which is when you can hit the sit-up.

Then again, the newaza at the judo dojos I trained at was never top notch, so I got away with a lot of **** I shouldn't have.

UpaLumpa
11/17/2007 2:50pm,
Shamu pass? Do tell.

You know when shamu slides over and onto land?
Like that, works great when you're fat.

PunchyMcFace
11/17/2007 7:47pm,
Hahahaha, yeah, I'm only kind of fat and I pull that sometimes, with varying success. I'm assuming you're talking about a full guard pass, where you just lunge forward over the guy and then scramble to get side control or north-south? I love that move, not because it's very effective, but because it's really funny when it works against someone who's never seen it and can't believe you just did some sort of fat kid move and passed his guard.

UpaLumpa
11/19/2007 2:13pm,
No, not really.
I'm talking about a properly executed pass. Given that you keep continuous contact and slide down their body to side control and I've gotten somewhat pudgy of late, it reminds me of shamu.

PunchyMcFace
11/20/2007 2:42pm,
The one I'm talking about is not what you'd call proper, but it sometimes works, and is always funny. You pretty much just lunge forward, laughing. Everyone should try it.

UpaLumpa
11/20/2007 4:26pm,
No, they really shouldn't.