PDA

View Full Version : No longer lurking (sorry if this is too long, tho')...

Walther
11/14/2007 11:42pm,
Hey hey.
Like the earlier post said, I was tired of the large-font text and had to post.
I've been lurking without joining for at least a year now, and I dutifully read all my sticky noob posts.
Anyway, I'm Walther from NYC.
I've been training for about 7 years, never in any gym/dojo/whatever, but at school we had a little informal martial arts club with guys doing the usual *ing *un, karate, TKD, but also jujitsu, boxing, Pananandatta (sp?), muay thai and other things. I bought the Tao of JKD and started working hard w/ these guys. Always kept it street/combat oriented, alive, and lots of full-contact NHB sparring and marathon grappling sessions. Since I don't really have a "style" lets say my stand up game is basically MT with a little Karate. On the ground I don't see much meaningful distiction between "styles" eg: wrestling, jujitsu, sambo or whatever and I just call it grappling. Gotta say, some of those sambo leglocks are nasty, and many BJJ guys don't know 'em!

Around the same time I hooked up w/ a guy teaching (again, informally out of a church's gym) "Classical" fencing, which is basically the Olympic-style weapons (foil, epee, saber), but oriented towards duelling, not competition. I can go on at some length about the disctinction between competitive and classical fencing, if anyone wants to know. I was frankly wary of taking up fencing, as nobody walks around w/ a rapier nowadays, but I figured "Bruce Lee did it" and jumped in. It's fun, and taught me a thing or two about weapons play - many techniques carry over to the baton or staff.

Once I sparred w/ a BaGua guy who could actually fight. This one dude didn't whip my ass, but I guess he had trained hard enough (and been in enough streetfights, frankly) to actually learn to use some of that Bagua. Hitting him was like trying to catch a slippery fish - so I shot in, took him down and choked him! But see before that I already had beliefs like most Bullys: teh anti-grapple is fake (true), not sparring is BS (true), TMA sucks (really? always?). But I figured even if TMA/IMA are BS overall, just being that "slippery" would be a good skill, besides IMA are good for health, right? So I've been doing Xing Yi "part time" for a year or so, in addition to the real ****. Not sure if I can apply much of it in a fight, but that's why I have the striking and grappling.
Oh, the point is that I have come to think IMA might just have something if you train them right (possibly with the understanding that it's not for beginners?).

I don't spar as much as I used to - it's hard to find training partners now that I'm old (29)! I gotta join a club, man...

Anyway, that's what I'm up to. I'm not the l33t fighter or Mr. Tough-Guy (but I'll throw down) but do I hope I can add something to Bullshido, and I'll be more consise in the future!

KungFuBot
11/14/2007 11:43pm,
BULL RUSH ON Walther!!!

cyril
11/15/2007 10:39am,
We have a couple of people on here who do some IMAs, and some TMAs. They're not all bad, but they just have a penchant for having bad teaching methods.

It's cool to know that you have some experience, but if you want a true test of ability, always look to go to an open sparring session at an MMA gym. Those are great for showing you just where you are in your training, and the people are very humble, normally.

Walther
11/15/2007 10:51am,
Yeah, bad training methods do abound. The reasons have been explored to death, and are apparent to anyone who trains in fighting that takes a look at (those crappy) TMA schools.

More importantly:
I didn't really know that you could just walk in to a gym and spar friendly-like without joining. For real? I don't even know of any MMA gyms in Queens. Well, there's Progressive Martial Arts I guess - they rep BJJ, MT (& other things).
I'm broke lately, and once I get some more $$$ I'll just join somewhere. Ideally I'd like to just go to the park w/ some cats and do MMA-style drills and sparring, and then on the side pay for Xing Yi lessons with someone who keeps it combat-oriented (I'm just doing the 5 Element forms and shadowboxing until I can get a teacher. Don't wanna learn bad habits!). But gotta get that cash first!
Edit: I do some XY applications w/ my man, but just the "obvious" ones off the 5 Elements.

cyril
11/15/2007 11:52am,
Yeah, bad training methods do abound. The reasons have been explored to death, and are apparent to anyone who trains in fighting that takes a look at (those crappy) TMA schools.

More importantly:
I didn't really know that you could just walk in to a gym and spar friendly-like without joining. For real? I don't even know of any MMA gyms in Queens. Well, there's Progressive Martial Arts I guess - they rep BJJ, MT (& other things).
I'm broke lately, and once I get some more $$$ I'll just join somewhere. Ideally I'd like to just go to the park w/ some cats and do MMA-style drills and sparring, and then on the side pay for Xing Yi lessons with someone who keeps it combat-oriented (I'm just doing the 5 Element forms and shadowboxing until I can get a teacher. Don't wanna learn bad habits!). But gotta get that cash first!
Edit: I do some XY applications w/ my man, but just the "obvious" ones off the 5 Elements.

A lot of gyms have a one day pass fee. It's just a waiver and then some rolling. There are also open gym days, open mat days, things like that, that you should look for if you want to set up an appointment to spar.

MMA clubs are generally okay with this kind of thing.

Walther
11/15/2007 2:20pm,
Thanks for the tip! As per your first email, actually I'm NOT really looking to test my skills as much as improve them and learn, but considering that I've kinda fallen off the hard-core training wagon in the last year or two (it's all those Xing Yi forms and swordfighting - but in fencing at least we do train alive and full-speed) I do think that lately some good rolling would be the best thing for me.
I'm not gonna front, it'll be a few months before I join a school or look for random sparring partners (got personal/$$$ issues first!) but I look forward to coming back to the fighting world (in spirit I never left), and if anything I wind up doing is relevant to Bullshido, of course I'll post it.