PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Psychiatry>>>>WTF!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tyrsmann
11/10/2007 5:17pm,
Theres actually a movement called Anti-Psychiatry.

Now I'm inclined to call this anti-psychiatry stuff a conspiracy theory and to call it BS

Now I've seen my fair share of folks messed up by stupid Psychiatrists.

I've also seen the amount of kids the label ADHD slapped on them unnecessarily

I've also had bad experiences with Docs who had God Complexes and didn't even know it.

But not a system, method, ideology, etc is created by the human mind is perfect so yes your going to have weak points.

It does have it's flaws but psychiatry is better then nothing.

Heres a few videos from a supporter of Anti-Psychiatry

His name is Dr. John Breeding, he says he's a PHD in Psychology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n46ohBsrPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCycQt5u5M&watch_response

HappyOldGuy
11/10/2007 5:27pm,
Usually if I see anti-psychiatry my first assumption is scientology, but this looks to be a different flavor.

edit: of batfuck insanity, I think somebody is pissed off about his meds.

Tyrsmann
11/10/2007 5:30pm,
Usually if I see anti-psychiatry my first assumption is scientology, but this looks to be a different flavor.

How so?

kracker
11/10/2007 5:32pm,
I have deep suspicions that Scientology is somehow behind that. Scientologists held the position that psychology is evil ever since a bunch of their brainwashed disciples were convinced to leave the cult by psychologists. Psychologists have done stupid things, like overperscribe and falsely label kids things. I'm against that stuff personally, but anyone who says psychology has no value to humanity is just plain ignorant. Any profession has dudes who make mistakes, including doctors, lawyers, janitors etc.

HappyOldGuy
11/10/2007 5:34pm,
How so?

Claiming a phd in psychology is not their style. they are pretty against the whole of established mental health.

They are also usually much better presented. This guy had my wingnut sensors screaming from the first look at him.

Tyrsmann
11/10/2007 5:39pm,
I have deep suspicions that Scientology is somehow behind that. Scientologists held the position that psychology is evil ever since a bunch of their brainwashed disciples were convinced to leave the cult by psychologists. Psychologists have done stupid things, like overperscribe and falsely label kids things. I'm against that stuff personally, but anyone who says psychology has no value to humanity is just plain ignorant. Any profession has dudes who make mistakes, including doctors, lawyers, janitors etc.

First off, Psychiatry is the science of Mental Health.

Second off, Psychology is the study of the human mind.

Psychologists aren't the ones who perscribe meds,
Psychiatrists are.

But yes your right, every profession has crackpots.

Gypsy Jazz
11/10/2007 10:35pm,
First off, Psychiatry is the science of Mental Health.

Second off, Psychology is the study of the human mind.

Psychologists aren't the ones who perscribe meds,
Psychiatrists are.

But yes your right, every profession has crackpots.

I admit I didn't read the link, so I'm guilty of the cardinal sin of threads; but I really don't care to read some nonsense on psychiatry when I've actually read legitimate criticisms and have had the (un)fortune of spending a lot of time around Scientologists.

My chief critique of psychiatry is that it is not a science proper, yet many in the field like to pretend it is. I have discussed this with my psychiatrist, and she agrees. She thinks it's a much more interesting field because it's "more of an art than a science".

Due to the nature of the field there are far too many variables in almost all instances to actually have a good scientific test. You cannot simply prick a finger or take a urine sample and diagnose a condition. Furthermore many sorts of diagnosis are rather arbitrary when compared to other forms of medicine.

Homosexuality was until rather recently (in the grand scheme of things) considered a form of psychosis. I will say that from an evolutionary perspective it would seem homosexuality is something going on not exactly as it should have been, but if it causes no harm to others or no harm to oneself, I don't really see that as being similar to a disease in any way.

All that being said, along with various awful professionals who overdiagnose everything from ADD to depression, it's still the best we have. The field tries to be as scientific as possible, but it's just so hard when you cannot isloate variables and with so little known about the mind. If I though any differently, I wouldn't bother with psychiatry at all.

As a quick aside, I too succumb to the idea that a PHD or a similar title actually is equivelant to being smart, or even educated. It's what it should mean, but in many cases it means that someone did some work at one point in their lives and now they're extremely cocky because of it. There are PHDs from MIT who believe in spiritual vortexes, and totally unschooled people who can explain all that is known on the nature of consciousness.

golsa
11/11/2007 12:31am,
Anti-psychiatry is always a hot topic, but its supporters usually end up being crackpots. I work in psychiatry and I'd generally agree that its more of an art than a science. However, this is largely because many of the more scientific tools are really in the infant stage and currently don't provide enough evidence to be worth their cost.

With a lot of the newer technologies researchers can definitely find differences in say blood flow and/or glucose usage in the frontal lobe of an ADHD patient when compared to control scans, but with the current state of our knowledge of the brain/behavior relationship and scanning technology the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit. With a brain MRI & C/S contrast scan you're looking at a $3500 bill and it only shows the physical structure of the brain. A fMRI or SPECT scan can show brain activity, but they cost way more and simply don't provide enough evidence to sway clinical judgment at the current time.

And there is the whole other issue of people comparing such brain scanning research to modern day phrenology... which is somewhat of a valid point. Maybe in the next 50 years we'll see some major advances that allow us to move away from clinical judgment type diagnosis and the other paltry tools, like observation rating scales and patient filled out inventories, the field has to work with. Brain-behavior relationship has already jumped a lightyear ahead of where it was even 20 years ago, so the best is yet to come. But right now its an issue of doing the best job we can at the most reasonable cost to benefit ratio.

TM
11/11/2007 11:24am,
People like steven barret at quackwatch certainly contribute to the hysteria. He can go away any time.

pharmakos
11/12/2007 3:39pm,
Ok, antipsychiatry has its points that I am not going to get into. I will mention that having worked in a psychiatric hospital not much has changed since the days of 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' which is more real than you would think.

What I can offer is this website http://www.davidsmail.freeuk.com/introfra.htm where David Smail a clinical psychologist put some of his publications online for free. Smail is fairly anti-psychiatry and he worked in the clinical area for something like 30 years.

www.breggin.com (http://www.breggin.com) is the website of Peter Breggin a psychitrist who also keeps his publications online. They largely describe the nightmare of pharmaceutical companies and the dangerous effects of drugs.

This webpage http://forum.wgbh.org/wgbh/forum.php?lecture_id=3527 hosts a lecture by a sociologist named David Karp who is interested in the interaction between medication taking and personal identity. While he is not anti-psychiatry he is certainly far away from an uncritical acceptance of psychiatric knowledge.

Anyhow each of these is a real academic and so far as I know they are not scientologists.

Don Gwinn
11/12/2007 4:59pm,
Neat. I can't wait to read all your opinions and ideas in the coming months and years.

Fitz
11/12/2007 5:01pm,
See what you can find on Thomas Zsasz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Szasz

is a good place to start.

antman
11/12/2007 5:11pm,
Trying to solve problems when most of the time the only symptoms are behavior as opposed to physical symptoms is difficult especially since the brain is so poorly understood.

pharmakos
11/12/2007 5:27pm,
I wasn't aware of the wiki article. Szasz has his ow website at the controversially named http://www.szasz.com/ That being said I didn't see any academic articles on the page so I'm not sure what value it is.

Tyrsmann
11/12/2007 7:12pm,
This webpage http://forum.wgbh.org/wgbh/forum.php?lecture_id=3527 hosts a lecture by a sociologist named David Karp who is interested in the interaction between medication taking and personal identity. While he is not anti-psychiatry he is certainly far away from an uncritical acceptance of psychiatric knowledge.

Hey I appreciate this link in particular, while I'm not exactly anti-psychiatry I've had my share of bad experiences and "backfired" medication.

My own experiences on the meds weren't fun, I had taken Ritalin, resperdal, adderal,
haldol, and few other ones I can't remember. (I first went to psychiatrist when I was 4yrs old)

During the times when the meds were affecting me I had a serious depression.

Though because of how young I was I didn't really understand it, I had been living with that for long time so it just seemed normal. It wasn't until hindsight set in that I finally understood just how much what the psychiatrists were giving me was harming my self-esteem and sense of self. It wasn't until I got off the meds and actually showed folks I wasn't mentally fubared that things got better.

Messed up thing is I was diagnosed with an Autistic spectrum disorder and some of the meds they gave me were meant for ADHD.

Okay I'll stop rambling now.

pharmakos
11/12/2007 7:20pm,
Happy you found it interesting. Karp's book 'speaking of sadness' was one of the best texts I read on depression. Ritalin is a strange drug, the chemical composition is almost the same as cocaine and the effects are comparable, except for adhd kids. I always find it interesting that when you talk to a lot of people about their experiences with psychiatry they either have an almost militant rhetoric of biological causation or they went through that, kind of regretted it and found a lot of what happened in their interaction quite bizarre.