PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a MMA dojo in San Francisco Area

Pages : [1] 2 3

walking injurie
11/07/2007 8:11pm,
I apologize ahead of time if this thread has already been posted, but the search feature is currently not working.

I currently train with Omega, but am going to me moving to San Francisco in January '08. I have only been training for about two months, but have really gotten into it so far. This is a great place to train, and i am hoping for something even close to similar up North.

Since similar will probably be impossibel, I would be happy just to find a place that is legit and encourages you to make moves work for you. Like we do here, this is the move, now figure it out on your own, and see how it works best for you.

I know this is a long first thread, but I really want to go somewhere with this sport.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

AikidoBot
11/07/2007 8:12pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums walking injurie... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

antman
11/07/2007 8:29pm,
Its outside SF but a good school. I don't train there but Cesar a good guy and has good fighters.

http://www.graciefighter.com/

HappyOldGuy
11/08/2007 11:55am,
There is tons of stuff in S.F. proper, including BJJ, Fairtex, and some CMA schools that have gotten good writeups here. Of the stuff I know about first or second hand in the east bay we have Modern Combatives which is a friendly, low key, MMA place, a Carlos Gracie BJJ place (which was linked earlier), and East Bay Judo which is good if you are into that sort of thing.

Hopefully the bump will get you better responses.

Omega Supreme
11/08/2007 12:40pm,
There's only one problem here. Omega doesn't teach jiujitsu so you fail. BTW MMA Conditioning is cancelled for tonight. Garrick suggested this gym when I saw him last night btw- www.moderncombatives.com

Southpaw
11/08/2007 12:47pm,
Ralph Gracie also has a school that looks pretty good. I checked it out a few weeks ago when I was in SF.

walking injurie
11/08/2007 3:26pm,
Thanks to all that have replied so far. I have heard that up north is a mecca for this, i just want to make sure i get the best i can. And that I can afford it. It also sounds like most things are going to be in the East bay, is it going to be unlikely to find anything actually in the City?

One question to HappyOldGuy: what do you mean by "the bump will get [me] better responses"?

JohnnyCache
11/08/2007 3:28pm,
a "bump" is posting in a thread just to keep it active - many people read the board by viewing the most active threads using the "new posts" button. TTT (to the top) means the same thing but has fallen into disuse due to being annoying.

HappyOldGuy
11/08/2007 5:30pm,
Thanks to all that have replied so far. I have heard that up north is a mecca for this, i just want to make sure i get the best i can. And that I can afford it. It also sounds like most things are going to be in the East bay, is it going to be unlikely to find anything actually in the City?

One question to HappyOldGuy: what do you mean by "the bump will get [me] better responses"?

There are metric fucktons of places in the city. I just don't know em. Other than fairtex. That's why I'm hoping one of our city kids will pop in.

walking injurie
11/14/2007 1:42pm,
I have been searching my ass off to find places up there, but not much shows up on the internet. Kinda lame...

I checked out Fairtex's website and it of course looks like a pretty good school. I just wonder a couple of things:

1. Because it is so well known, is it going to be such a big place that you are just a number, or will they actually get to know the student and pay some attention to them without making them do a private?

2. Cost? It doesn't say on their site, but I assume that with their reputation it is a lot.

antman
11/14/2007 6:46pm,
Russian Combat Sambo Academy
1035 MacArthur Blvd.
Emeryville, California 94608
United States
Phone Number: 415-246-1239
The Russian Combat Sambo Training Center is located in Emeryville, CA. It's a private training center for Combat Sambo team members and other MMA athletes. The facility is over 3500 square ft with a full size boxing ring, heavy bags, thai pads, focus mitts, and cardio equipment. It is open 6 days a week from 10am to 10pm.

Copy and pasted from http://www.lockflow.com/school_locator.php?s=California&c=United%20States

I didn't post the email becasue it doesn't work for me.

Omega Supreme
11/14/2007 10:34pm,
Russian Combat Sambo Academy
1035 MacArthur Blvd.
Emeryville, California 94608
United States
Phone Number: 415-246-1239
The Russian Combat Sambo Training Center is located in Emeryville, CA. It's a private training center for Combat Sambo team members and other MMA athletes. The facility is over 3500 square ft with a full size boxing ring, heavy bags, thai pads, focus mitts, and cardio equipment. It is open 6 days a week from 10am to 10pm.

Copy and pasted from http://www.lockflow.com/school_locator.php?s=California&c=United%20States

I didn't post the email becasue it doesn't work for me.

Ew, I like them....

antman
11/15/2007 3:51pm,
Omega do you know these folks?

Omega Supreme
11/15/2007 4:41pm,
mmmm, not really but it sound a lot like our facility and I'm biased.

Zendetta
11/15/2007 5:17pm,
Too bad - no good martial arts up here in hippie-land.

Except for Fairtex, a bunch of Fairtex off-shoots, a bunch of Gracie schools, some world-renowed CMA guys, an 7th dan kendo master, a huge FMA community, etc etc.

And then both Cung Le and Shamrock have schools in San jose too.

Ew, I like them....

I teach massage and my students have to do externships, so I send the ones with MA interest to various schools and dojos when I can. One of my students checked these guys out before choosing do do his massage externship for Fairtex due to location. He said they were pretty fucking raw. .

Omega Supreme
11/15/2007 7:15pm,
Raw? Is that good or bad?